View previous topic | View next topic

Félix Faure

Page 1 of 1

Ian Dunn
384112.  Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:30 pm Reply with quote

Félix François Faure was the seventh President of the French Republic and Co-Prince of Andorra.

He was President during the infamous Dreyfus affair, in which Captain Alfred Dreyfus, a young French artillery officer of Jewish background was convicted of treason and sentenced to life imprisonment. He was found to be innocent, but the French high level military officials dismissed or ignored this new evidence. Many believed the officials were anti-semitic, and the affair lead to creation of Zionism.

However, the quite interesting thing about Faure is that he died of apoplexy on 16 February 1899, at a critical juncture whilst engaging in sexual activities in his office with 30-year-old Marguerite Steinheil. It is believed by some that he died while having oral sex, but it is not known for sure if he did.

Wikipedia article

Last edited by Ian Dunn on Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total

CB27
384424.  Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:05 am Reply with quote

Famous last words: "Mmmhmhmhmmphmm...."

maiden
384426.  Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:12 am Reply with quote

What a way to go, huh

Sadurian Mike
384561.  Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:00 pm Reply with quote

I guess that for a second or two his mistress was therefore a necrophiliac.

Eeew. Pass the mouthwash.

CB27
385013.  Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:28 am Reply with quote

Considering the old image of French women, I suddenly got a horrible image in my head that he may have been accidentally garroted....

tetsabb
385045.  Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:10 am Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
Famous last words: "Mmmhmhmhmmphmm...."

Depends on who was giving, and who receiving. His last words might have been , 'Mon dieu'.
Still, either way, a good point at which to end one's days.
Was he any relation to Gabriel, the composer of the same surnom?
New lyrics for the Requiem, anyone?

suze
385184.  Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:07 pm Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
Was he any relation to Gabriel, the composer of the same surnom?

It seems not - at least, none of the biog entries I can find for either Fauré mentions the fact, and you'd think they would. They were close contemporaries though - Félix was four years older - so I dare say they followed each other's careers to some extent.

Page 1 of 1