View previous topic | View next topic

Flensburg

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Hans Mof
191977.  Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:47 am Reply with quote

Flensburg is Germany‘s most northern city. It was founded in the 12th century by Danish settlers. Flensburg was not a member of the Hanseatic League but still a very important port in Scandinavia. After the Hanse fell in the 16th century Flensburg‘s harbour became even more important. On of the most important commodities were sugar and rum destilled from cane sugar from the Danish West Indies (today‘s Virgin Islands). Of over 20 rum destilleries only one remained to this day.

Following the Second War of Schleswig Flensburg was passed to Prussia. In 1889 it became an idependent town in Schleswig-Holstein. In 1920 the League of Nations decided to settle the German-Danish border conflict by plebiscite. Due to the way the voting zones were lay out Flensburg became deffenitely German.

For three weeks Flensburg was Capital of Germany. Hitler designated Dönitz as his successor. After Hitler‘s suicide Dönitz fled to Flensburg and tried to administer the Reich from there. The choice for the city was most likely due to Flensburg not being seriously damaged - Flensburg only lost one warehouse to bombings. Dönitz authorised the unconditional surrender of German Forces to the Allies. He tried to ensure that German troops surrendered to the British or American. Dönitz and his cabinet hoped to procede as a provisional government over post-war Germany but on 23 May 1945 all members of the Flensburg government were arrested under the orders of Eisenhower.

to be continued...

markvent
192024.  Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:11 am Reply with quote

Beate Uhse wrote a brief pamphlet on the Lehre Knaus-Ogino rhythm method of birth control, which was printed in Flensburg at a cost to her of five pounds of butter. That led on to her selling contraceptives. It also led to the first of some 2,000 legal actions against her, in the 1950s and 1960s, for lewdness and aiding and abetting fornication. All of them failed.

In 1948 Beate Uhse married a Flensburg businessman, Ernst- Walter Rotermund, and they worked together expanding the business. Operating from the Wilhemstrasse in Flensburg, she went into the mail-order business. In 1952 she published her first catalogue with around 50 products. She already had 200,000 customers. By 1960 there were one million registered customers. In 1962 the first Beate Uhse sex shop was opened in Flensburg. It is claimed this was the first in the world.

Mark.

AlmondFacialBar
192026.  Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:20 am Reply with quote

Hans Mof wrote:
For three weeks Flensburg was Capital of Germany. Hitler designated Dönitz as his successor. After Hitler‘s suicide Dönitz fled to Flensburg and tried to administer the Reich from there. The choice for the city was most likely due to Flensburg not being seriously damaged - Flensburg only lost one warehouse to bombings. Dönitz authorised the unconditional surrender of German Forces to the Allies. He tried to ensure that German troops surrendered to the British or American. Dönitz and his cabinet hoped to procede as a provisional government over post-war Germany but on 23 May 1945 all members of the Flensburg government were arrested under the orders of Eisenhower.

to be continued...

what about eutin?

flensburg is also the location of the german traffic violation archive, hence in germany when you break a red light you get "points in flensburg". furthermore it is home to a rather delicious beer (and with me being from the beck's corner of the world that is a true compliment) that achieved cult status thanks to the cartoon character werner who drank it religiously.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Hans Mof
192068.  Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:52 pm Reply with quote

AFB wrote:
what about eutin?

Have I missed anything? To my knowledge (and recent research) Eutin had nothing to do with it.

AFB wrote:
it is home to a rather delicious beer (and with me being from the beck's corner of the world that is a true compliment)

Oh, yes! There's a reason we drink Flensburger Pilsener and export Becks. ;)

Thank you, Mark, for dealing with Beate Uhse (by this I do not want to imply that you're familiar with the company's produce). I'll continue in a similar vein.

The Oluf-Samson-Gang in Flensburg is one of the world's oldest (and in some opinions most idyllic) red light districts.

It began it's life as Ollef-Sambsos Hof (Ollef Sambso's courtyard). This courtyard developed into an alleyway and was finally dubbed Oluf-Samson-Gang in 1612. It mainly consisted of dwellings for poor dock workers. In the 19th century the houses were assigned to widows.

In 1912 the first prostitutes took up residence in Flensburg's oldest preserved street. In the 1960s/70s all 30 houses in the 100 metres long alley were occupied by "working girls", establishing the Oluf-Samson-Gang as Flensburg's "sinful mile" (if a rather short one).

Today only a handful of prostitutes remain, with a total business space of 50 to 75 square metres. Since the buildings are all from 16th and 17th century (and have been restaurated in recent years) the Oluf-Samson-Gang is now a very sought after address.

AlmondFacialBar
192077.  Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:19 pm Reply with quote

eutin was reichshauptstadt from april 21st to may 2nd, then doenitz moved the government to flensburg. for more information look here:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gesch%C3%A4ftsf%C3%BChrende_Reichsregierung

(sorry everyone else, german)

what a wonderful question re flensburg, though.

question: what was the capital of germany on ve day?
klaxon: berlin
answer: flensburg, and all the attached history.

re flens, i mut admit that i drink beck's rather more often, even in germany. flens is a beer i only feel like every now and then, but then i enjoy it.

AlmondFacialBar

samivel
192082.  Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:24 pm Reply with quote

Hans Mof wrote:
Oh, yes! There's a reason we drink Flensburger Pilsener and export Becks.

We export Becks as well. First to Spain, now to America.

Hans Mof
192089.  Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:35 pm Reply with quote

Oh indeed, samivel, there's no better Becks than a far away Becks.

Thank you for the Eutin link, AFB. The town itself doesn't deem this episode in it's history to be very important, at least it's nowhere to be found in the history section of the town's web site.

AlmondFacialBar
192092.  Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:44 pm Reply with quote

and there was me thinking this "let's all pretend the third reich didn't happen" attitude was finally over and done with. *sigh* i learned that from an amateur historian who was researching the history of the forced labour camp in a village near mine. (muna luebberstedt, aussenlager of kz neuengamme and terminus of the of auschwitz death march for some.)

re the beer controversy - no dissing beck's please! it's still my beer of preference and HOME! i respect your local brew, you respect mine! YO!

AlmondFacialBar

markvent
192094.  Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:49 pm Reply with quote

Hans Mof wrote:

Thank you, Mark, for dealing with Beate Uhse (by this I do not want to imply that you're familiar with the company's produce). I'll continue in a similar vein. ...

Perhaps it says a little too much about me that when I saw Flensberg, I didn't think VE day capital of Germany, I didn't think about beer ... nope I thought .. "wasn't that where the first sex shop opened?!?" ... *sigh* ..

Mark.

Hans Mof
192098.  Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:38 pm Reply with quote

Opening the first sex shop (or shop for marital hygiene, as she reffered to it herself) was her second career move.

In the 1930s she was the first and only female stunt pilot. On her 18tn birthday in 1937 she received her pilot licence. In 1938 she passed her stunt exam and shortly thereafter she participated in a race in Belgium which she won her category.

She worked as a delivery pilot and as a stunt pilot for the UFA film company and in World War II accepted an offer by the German Air Force to fly in a transport squadron. After the war, as a former member of the Luftwaffe, she wasn't allowed to fly any longer. At this time she was a 26 year old widow with a three year old son.

Hans Mof
192099.  Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:48 pm Reply with quote

Another aviation pioneer was Dr. Hugo Eckener (born 1868 in Flensburg). He trained most German airship pilots during and after WW I. After the war he succeeded Ferdinand Graf von Zeppelin as head of the Zeppelin company. In 1924 Eckener was the third person to cross the Atlantic (non-stop) in an aircraft, and the first to do so in an airship.

AlmondFacialBar
192103.  Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:29 pm Reply with quote

..and in 1929 he was the first person to circumaviate(?) the world, captaining the lz 127 "graf zeppelin" on its 1st august to 4th september voyage.

AlmondFacialBar

Hans Mof
192303.  Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:10 am Reply with quote

Given its history Flensburg has a strong Danish "minority". A look at the city's telephone listing would suggest that about 80% are of Danish descent. 25% of Flensburgers indentify themselves as Danish.

The Danish minority in Flensburg, and Südschleswig/Syd Slesvig (the German part of Schleswig/Sleswick covering the area between the Danish border and the river Eider) numbers around 50,000. There are Danish schools, churches, theatres, libraries, sports clubs...
The Danish minority is represented by its own party, the SSW (Südschleswigscher Wählerverband/Sydslesvigsk Vælgerforening/South Schleswig Voter Federation). As a party for an ethnic minority the SSW is not subject to the general requirement of passing a 5% vote threshold in order to receive proportional seats in the state parliament.

Danish is officially recognised as a language of Germany.

Last edited by Hans Mof on Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:26 am; edited 1 time in total

AlmondFacialBar
192309.  Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:14 am Reply with quote

...though all the ssw bigwigs seem to have very german names indeed, with the exception of some guy hinrichsen, who could strictly speaking be both. i didn't know danish was recognised as a language of germany... makes sense, though.

AlmondFacialBar

suze
192352.  Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:29 am Reply with quote

It is indeed. Danish has minority language status in Schleswig-Holstein, as indeed does German in Sønderjylland.

There are four other recognised minority languages in Germany: Frisian in Schleswig-Holstein and Niedersachsen, Lower Sorbian in Brandenburg, Upper Sorbian in Sachsen and - perhaps the surprising one - Romani in Hesse.

As for Flensburg, I'd have to agree that the mayor as listed by Wiki - one Klaus Tscheuschner - doesn't sound very Danish. But if one looks at the members of the city council, there's a Philipsen, an Egtved and a Sørensen.

http://www.flensburg.de/politik/ratsversammlung.html

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next