View previous topic | View next topic

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Page 11 of 11
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

14-11-2014
1105490.  Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:40 pm Reply with quote

Aryan Nation and Adolf Hitler [sick], apparently also possible there (New Jersey). Daily Mail's ethics:

Better, they are innocent victims:

The parents could use Mein next time. Mein Campbell...

Alfred E Neuman
1105502.  Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:21 am Reply with quote

I have absolutely no clue what you're trying to say.

Posital
1105507.  Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:42 am Reply with quote

Alfred E Neuman wrote:
+1

Here is the full fail: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2344459/Heath-Campbell-White-supremacist-named-son-Adolf-Hitler-dad-time-hoping-little-Eva-Braun.html

PDR
1105512.  Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:04 am Reply with quote

Alfred E Neuman wrote:

So it wasn't just me then. I tried google translate, but it couldn't help (even with the martian, klingon, Quenya and Sindarin options checked...

PDR

CharliesDragon
1105531.  Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:11 am Reply with quote

*Checks what year it is*
*Flips through a few history books*
*Googles symptoms of concussion*
*Still blinking in disbelief*

I don't know what to say. There should be some fundamental physical law against people like that existing.

duglasbell@hotmail.co.uk
1278380.  Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:48 pm Reply with quote

Posital wrote:
Why can't the people from this country call it the United States of Washington or something?

America is the continent - and there is another "United States" in the contenent - ie México (Estados Unidos).

Can't these guys get some kind of game show together and name their country properly?

There is another United States as well - the United States of Brazil.

Alfred E Neuman
1278381.  Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:54 pm Reply with quote

duglasbell@hotmail.co.uk wrote:
Posital wrote:
Why can't the people from this country call it the United States of Washington or something?

America is the continent - and there is another "United States" in the contenent - ie México (Estados Unidos).

Can't these guys get some kind of game show together and name their country properly?

Are you talking about the Federal Republic of Brazil there?

duglasbell@hotmail.co.uk
1278382.  Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:55 pm Reply with quote

Here's a myth about the creation of the USA I discovered a little while ago:

King George III is presumed to have written in his dairy "Nothing of importance happened today", supposedly referring to July 4th 1776.

Except he didn't.

According to Arnold Hunt, curator of historical manuscripts at the British Library, the king never even kept a diary.

The quote, he says, is a variation of another well-known story from the French Revolution. On July 14th 1789 - the date of the storming of the Bastille - King Louis XVI wrote in his diary "rien" meaning nothing, referring to a hunting trip on which he'd returned empty-handed.

Over the years this story wormed its way into the folklore of George III and the creation of the USA.

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=11703583

suze
1278408.  Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:53 pm Reply with quote

Alfred E Neuman wrote:
Are you talking about the Federal Republic of Brazil there?

It would appear so. Its long form name was República dos Estados Unidos do Brasil (Republic of the United States of Brazil) between 1897 and 1930, and then just Estados Unidos do Brasil between 1937 and 1967. But a new constitution was promulgated in 1967, since when the long form name has been República Federativa do Brasil.

duglasbell@hotmail.co.uk
1293543.  Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:15 pm Reply with quote

duglasbell@hotmail.co.uk wrote:
Posital wrote:

In fact, there are even more examples of 'United States' -

a) The United States of Belgium was established in 1790 when the Belgians revolted against the then-ruling Habsburg emperor Joseph II. However, the Habsburgs regained control at the end of year and re-titled it the United Kingdom of the Netherlands.

b) The United States of Colombia. As Simon Bolivar was leading the movement for South American independence from Spain, places such as Peru, Ecuador, Panama, Colombia, Brazil and Venezuela united in various permutations as Gran Colombia, the Republic of New Granada, the Grenadine Confederation and finally, in 1863, as the US of Colombia. By then the federation included only Colombia and Panama.

c0 The United States of Indonesia. After 4 years of bloody fighting after WW2, the Dutch granted independence to the 'United States of Indonesia' which consisted of Indonesia' and 15 smaller states created by the Dutch since 1945. In 1950 these 15 other states were dissolved and incorporated into Indonesia.

d) The United States of Stellaland. The Republic of Stellaland was an Afrikaans-speaking republic that broke away from British Bechuanaland in 1882. The following year it merged with another breakaway, the Republic of Goshen to form the United States of Stellaland in the hope of better resisting the British but the secession was crushed in 1884.

https://www.bathroomreader.com/2015/06/united-states-of-belgium/

Efros
1293591.  Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:28 am Reply with quote

History teachers in my school are getting quite excited about this online resource

http://www.americanyawp.com/

Baryonyx
1293593.  Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:40 am Reply with quote

Oooh that's very nice

Page 11 of 11
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11