View previous topic | View next topic

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Page 10 of 11
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Zebra57
990191.  Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:33 pm Reply with quote

A recent example of spam posted in our forum included reference to Elephant Butte New Mexico. It claims to be a city with a population of 1,390 people (2000) and covers an area of 7.8km2. Can any settlement however small in the USA describe itself as a city?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elephant_Butte,_New_Mexico

Efros
990194.  Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:57 pm Reply with quote

In answer to your question, as always in the US, it varies by state. In some states if the place is incorporated then it is a city.

Just as an aside I often draw my students attention to just how empty their home state is: Our town (not city) has a population of 5000, probably not even a town in UK parlance, Lewiston Maine is the second largest city in Maine with a population of just over 36,000, the largest city in Maine is Portland with a population of about 66,000. Paisley is the largest town in Renfrewshire and has a population of 74,000.

The population of the Greater Glasgow area is a bit less than the entire population of Maine (1.1 million cf 1.3 million). Relative population densities are 8432 people per square mile in Greater Glasgow, 13,466 per square mile in London, 36 per square mile in Maine, 68 per square mile in Scotland and 1053 per square mile in England. The most densely populated city in the world is Manilla with 112,000 people per square mile.

suze
990196.  Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:00 pm Reply with quote

As Efros noted while I was writing ...

Each state has its own rules about when a town becomes a city. North Dakota has no towns, and all incorporated places are cities. Ohio has no towns either; an incorporated place is a city if its population hits 5,000, and otherwise a village. Nebraska has the deeply bureaucratic sounding city (second class) for a place with a population between 800 and 5,000. In New England, a city has a mayor but a town has a triumvirate of selectmen. And so on.

Greenhorn, Oregon is a city with a population of zero. It was a gold mining settlement until it was abandoned in 1942, but there are seven empty homes still standing and so it is deemed still to exist.

Zebra57
990316.  Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:55 am Reply with quote

I came across this list which may prove QI entitled: Top 100 Least Populated Cities in USA - which omits the zero returns.

http://localistica.com/usa/cities/least-populated-cities/

Jenny
990369.  Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:25 am Reply with quote

Our town in Maine has a population of about 14,000, but extends far enough so that my son and my stepdaughter, who both live in the same town but at opposite ends, are almost 15 miles from each other.

Zebra57
997123.  Thu May 16, 2013 7:23 pm Reply with quote

Proposals to create two states from California have been raised with states of North California and South California being formed. This has not been the only proposal to create new states in the USA.

The call for the creation of a state to be called Superior seems to appear from time to time. It would be created from incorporating parts of North Michigan with Northern Wisconsin.

The enclosed links detail a number of states that appear to have been strangled at birth. What is of interest is references to Texas and its right to divide four or five parts.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/12641/12-proposed-us-states-didnt-make-cut

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_divisionism

Efros
999273.  Sat May 25, 2013 7:04 pm Reply with quote

Simplistic but nails it I think.

trdsf
999291.  Sun May 26, 2013 2:00 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Ohio has no towns either; an incorporated place is a city if its population hits 5,000, and otherwise a village.

More to the point, a village is required to become a city when their population reaches 5,000. My home town ticked over the 5,000 line in 1970 and incorporated as a city in 1971; the village to our east ticked over in 1980 -- and tried to remain a village because providing village services was less expensive than providing the broader range of city services they'd need to take on. The state wasn't having any of that, and they somewhat grumpily incorporated in 1982.

Ohio isn't shy about making municipalities incorporate and unincorporate. There was a local village here that the state forcibly dissolved less than ten years ago -- but then, it was being run by a self-appointed council and mayor, most of whom were related to each other, for the purposes of operating a speed trap that brought in hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to a village with a population of 60.

Last edited by trdsf on Sun May 26, 2013 3:35 am; edited 1 time in total

Spud McLaren
999293.  Sun May 26, 2013 2:55 am Reply with quote

Efros wrote:
Simplistic but nails it I think.
It's certainly brief. But what is it nailing?

Sorry, I'm aware I'm rather thick.

Efros
999319.  Sun May 26, 2013 4:14 am Reply with quote

Health insurance in the US can be denied for pre-existing serious illnesses, and can run out if your illness is expensive enough. Even if it doesn't run out you can still be paying tens of thousands of dollars for the portion of the bills your insurance doesn't cover, consequently the biggest cause for personal bankruptcy in the US is illness and the associated medical bills. Breaking Bad is a US TV series where the lead character is diagnosed with cancer, he's a HS chemistry teacher and he turns to drug manufacture and delivery to ensure the financial welfare of his family after he's died.

Spud McLaren
999328.  Sun May 26, 2013 5:07 am Reply with quote

Thanks. Makes sense now.

To me, I mean. I'm sure it made sense to those already in the know. I hadn't heard of the TV series, but I knew about the insurance situation.

Zebra57
1101127.  Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:18 pm Reply with quote

It is claimed that Nebraska's Legislature is unusual in the USA in that it is unicameral and nonpartisan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebraska_Legislature

suze
1101189.  Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:28 am Reply with quote

Well, it's the only state of the union to have a unicameral legislature, so from that point of view it's unusual. But there are whole countries, and large countries at that, which have unicameral system. China, for instance.

While it is officially non-partisan, this is a bit of a myth. There are still two candidates for each district. Although they don't declare party affiliations on the ballot paper they are still a Democrat and a Republican. And although there are no party affiliations inside the chamber, those who are not Democrats still mostly vote one way while those who are not Republicans mostly vote the other way.

There are no whips - but then whipping has never been as strong in American politics as in Britain in any case - and when you go to vote you have to remember which candidate does not represent your preferred party. But otherwise, it works much the same as every other state's lower house.

Zebra57
1101228.  Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:54 pm Reply with quote

"There are no whips" - Nebraska is not the state to go to or live in if you are into BDSM!

Jenny
1101329.  Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:53 pm Reply with quote

On our ballot forms this past election it showed the party of each candidate for the federal and state posts, though not for the local elections.

Page 10 of 11
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next