View previous topic | View next topic

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Page 9 of 11
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Zebra57
836699.  Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:23 pm Reply with quote

The Menzies claim for early Chinese discovery in 1421 is based upon stone Chinese anchors found off the Californian coast.

However, research has found that these anchors were also used in the 19th Century by the fleets of Chinese ships fishing off the west coast.

The most convincing evidence pointed to:

Early Europeans (Clovis ancestors) c13,000BC - evidence identical spearheads America and Spain/Portugal

Japanese c4,000BC - evidence Jomon style pottery found in archaeological sites on the West Coast

Polynesian 1321AD - 1407AD - Polynesian chickens in South America and Sweet Potatoes in the Pacific (DNA tested). Polynesian remains on islands off the Chile coast.

Viking undisputed pre-Columbian colonisation of Canadian east coast. Possible sites in USA further south.

 
suze
836798.  Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:37 am Reply with quote

Zebra57 wrote:
Viking undisputed pre-Columbian colonisation of Canadian east coast. Possible sites in USA further south.


Is it actually undisputed? I certainly don't dispute it, but our school kids still learn about Columbus and call him the discoverer of America. Which would suggest that society remains unwilling to acknowledge that the Norsemen beat him to it by half a millennium or so.

 
samivel
836802.  Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:32 pm Reply with quote

But surely lots of 'discoverers' aren't the first people to find whatever they've discovered at all. To take just one example, old Chris's namesake Realdo Colombo is frequently cited as the 'discoverer' of the clitoris, rather conveniently forgetting that women had known about it for pretty much the whole of human history.

 
suze
836872.  Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:59 pm Reply with quote

Good point! I think that Fallopius (he of tubes fame) claimed to have "discovered" it as well.

But the Ancient Greeks wrote about it, so the anatomists can't even use the "Pah, Norway. Third division country. How can you expect us to know what they got up to?" argument.

Mind you, it's often claimed that until the era of Masters and Johnson, lots of women really didn't know that they had a clitoris, and even if they did know it was there, they didn't know what to do with it (/ get someone else to do with it). I find this hard to believe, but I've read the claim often enough.

 
Zebra57
837571.  Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:45 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Zebra57 wrote:
Viking undisputed pre-Columbian colonisation of Canadian east coast. Possible sites in USA further south.


Is it actually undisputed? I certainly don't dispute it, but our school kids still learn about Columbus and call him the discoverer of America. Which would suggest that society remains unwilling to acknowledge that the Norsemen beat him to it by half a millennium or so.


There is sound documentation and archaeological proof of Viking settlement. The people of Norway believe it. It is disputed whether Columbus was even the first explorer from the Iberian Peninsula to "discover" the continent.

 
Zebra57
880870.  Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:57 pm Reply with quote

In a documentry on the History Channel it claimed that Lincoln founded the Republican Party.

Following the Civil War it would have seemed more likely (albeit very slight) that if a black president of the USA was ever to take office in the distant future, he would be a Republican rather than a Democrat. When did things change?

 
CB27
880887.  Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:02 pm Reply with quote

I'm guessing it's down to the Civil Movement, and the Republican opposition to it in the early days.

If I were to pin it down to one presidential race which turned a lot of black people away from the Republican party, it would probably be when Hoover won against Al Smith in 1928 in what became a very negative campaign. Apart from attacking Smith for being a Catholic, Hoover also campaigned very heavily for white votes in the southern states, and though the "Southern Strategy" is usually said to have started in the 60s, it seems to have had it's roots in the 1928 election, which caused many black leaders to turn to the Democrats.

 
Willie
880964.  Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:42 am Reply with quote

Zebra57 wrote:
There is sound documentation and archaeological proof of Viking settlement. The people of Norway believe it. It is disputed whether Columbus was even the first explorer from the Iberian Peninsula to "discover" the continent.


As Columbus wasn't from the Iberian Peninsula in the first place there is no dispute, he wasn't the first explorer from there to 'discover' the continent.

 
Zebra57
881264.  Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:08 am Reply with quote

Willie wrote:
Zebra57 wrote:
There is sound documentation and archaeological proof of Viking settlement. The people of Norway believe it. It is disputed whether Columbus was even the first explorer from the Iberian Peninsula to "discover" the continent.


As Columbus wasn't from the Iberian Peninsula in the first place there is no dispute, he wasn't the first explorer from there to 'discover' the continent.


I never said that Columbus was born in the Iberian Peninsula but he certainly went from there wetswards across the Atlantic.

 
PDR
881293.  Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:16 am Reply with quote

"Wetwards across the Atlantic" - did you mean "away from dry land", which would be the conventional course when embarking on an ocean journey. Presumably on arrival in america he headed "drywards"...

:-)

PDR

 
Zebra57
881308.  Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:34 pm Reply with quote

He was looking for Typos but took the wrong direction!

 
Willie
881725.  Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:20 am Reply with quote

Zebra57 wrote:
Willie wrote:
Zebra57 wrote:
There is sound documentation and archaeological proof of Viking settlement. The people of Norway believe it. It is disputed whether Columbus was even the first explorer from the Iberian Peninsula to "discover" the continent.


As Columbus wasn't from the Iberian Peninsula in the first place there is no dispute, he wasn't the first explorer from there to 'discover' the continent.


I never said that Columbus was born in the Iberian Peninsula but he certainly went from there wetswards across the Atlantic.


I never said he born in the Iberian Peninsula either, I said he was not 'from' the Iberian Peninsula. My mistake for using exactly the same term as you did in your original post.

 
Zebra57
892809.  Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:10 pm Reply with quote

A wife discovered that her husband had been unfaithful big(amy) time. On Facebook's "People you may know" feature, a wife found her husband's new partner's Facebook page with wedding photos of the now not so happy couple.

 
Zebra57
975849.  Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:27 pm Reply with quote

Recent newspaper reports claim that Texas-German a dialect once spoken by 100,000 in Central-South Texas is in danger of dying out.

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/americas/united-states/130206/speaking-german-texas-dialect-language-audio

 
Zebra57
986140.  Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:20 pm Reply with quote

QI is the Reconquista movement.

http://www.humanevents.com/2006/07/27/the-emreconquistaem-movement-mexicos-plan-for-the-american-southwest/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reconquista_(Mexico)

 

Page 9 of 11
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

All times are GMT - 5 Hours


Display posts from previous:   

Search Search Forums

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group