193855.  Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:33 am Reply with quote

:)

smiley_face
195756.  Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:04 pm Reply with quote

How much does a $100 laptop cost?

$176

smiley_face
195757.  Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:04 pm Reply with quote

People who suffer from epilepsy cannot swallow their tongue.

Source.

Tas
195759.  Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:32 pm Reply with quote

No one can swallow their tongue. It would need to seperate from the rest of the body.

:-)

Tas

smiley_face
197363.  Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:31 pm Reply with quote

What is the highest point on British Territory?

K: Ben Nevis
A: Mount Paget (2934m), on the island of South Georgia, part of British Territory. Also Mount Jackson (3050m), which lies in British Antarctic Territory, but Antarctic Territories don't usually count.

smiley_face
197429.  Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:38 am Reply with quote

The black box in an aeroplane is not black. It is usually orange or red to make it more visible in the event of a crash.

S: http://www.madehow.com/Volume-3/Black-Box.html

Pyriform
199126.  Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:38 am Reply with quote

Why don't you fall off a bicycle?

K: anything to do with gyroscopes - While it would have some effect at low speed gyrosopic inertia would be far too small to stop one falling off.

A: You steer into a fall, thus bringing the bicycle back under your centre of gravity. This is why it is so difficult to learn to ride one of those trick bicycles where the wheel turns the opposite way to the handlebars.

mckeonj
199180.  Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:05 pm Reply with quote

Regarding the steering of bicycles and motor bicycles; one does not steer with the handlebars in normal 'going'; one changes course by leaning slightly. The handlebars are only used for low speed manoeuvres.
It is the same with aeroplanes, during normal flight one changes course by banking, not by rudder. The rudder is only used for energetic manoeuvres and for taxiing on the ground.
Yes, I have done both; all three if you separate motor cycling.

The Luggage
199284.  Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:55 am Reply with quote

mckeonj wrote:
Regarding the steering of bicycles and motor bicycles; one does not steer with the handlebars in normal 'going'; one changes course by leaning slightly. The handlebars are only used for low speed manoeuvres.
It is the same with aeroplanes, during normal flight one changes course by banking, not by rudder. The rudder is only used for energetic manoeuvres and for taxiing on the ground.
Yes, I have done both; all three if you separate motor cycling.

The rudder on an aircraft is used at all phases of flight. Granted during cruise it's used very little, but still used. The rudder is used for ground steering only in light aircraft. I know for a fact that anything 737 size and above (including Airbuses) have nose-wheel steering, operated by a tiller in the cockpit. Only the captain can taxi the plane as the tiller is only located on the captains side. Nosewheel steering is locked at 40 knots and rudder steering takes over to prevent and accidents.

Flash
199290.  Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:12 am Reply with quote

mckeonj wrote:
Regarding the steering of bicycles and motor bicycles; one does not steer with the handlebars in normal 'going'; one changes course by leaning slightly.

It's curious to discover that when steering a motorbike the handlebars actually turn the "wrong" way - if you push the left hand forward a little the bike will lean, and turn, to the left, which is highly counter-intuitive but, oddly enough, instinctive - to the point that many very experienced bikers seem to use the technique every day without being aware that they are doing so.

mckeonj
199352.  Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:01 pm Reply with quote

Sorry about getting it 'wrong' about aircraft steering - I was speaking from my experience, which is limited to light props.
I am aware that big jobs use rudder and nosewheel on the ground, and rudder for a tight turn in the air.
Stunt and pylon racers use everything all the time, of course, and there is at least one V tail stunter - whose name escapes me - with tandem rudder/elevator controls. That must be fun to fly.

tetsabb
199360.  Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:53 pm Reply with quote

smiley_face wrote:
The black box in an aeroplane is not black. It is usually orange or red to make it more visible in the event of a crash.

S: http://www.madehow.com/Volume-3/Black-Box.html

Which, of course, begs the question, 'Why, if the "black box" is built to survive a crash, is the rest of the thing not made of the same stuff?'

And, surely, painting it red is silly, if it gets covered in blood?

Permission to say 'yeuchhhh' is granted!

samivel
199366.  Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:52 pm Reply with quote

Well, a 'black box' (technically a flight data recorder) is made out of much heavier metal, so if the whole plane was made out of it then it wouldn't be able to fly.

Page 3 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next