Page 2 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

jonp
190519.  Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:38 am Reply with quote

Whoops, sorry Suze, we crossed.

jonp
190640.  Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:12 am Reply with quote

Oh lor,

I've not only crossed Suze, but I've got the casting wrong. John Hurt played Richard Rich; Thomas Cromwell was played by Leo McKern. Apologies to all.

<tiptoes away - ashamed>

suze
190644.  Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:18 am Reply with quote

Come back jonp! You may have crossed with me, but you certainly haven't crossed me - only the very select few have ever managed that!

Didn't Orson Welles play Cardinal Wolsey?

mckeonj
190649.  Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:26 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Didn't Orson Welles play Cardinal Wolsey?

No, Orson Welles played Cardinal Wolsley.

samivel
190655.  Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:57 am Reply with quote

No, Orson Welles played Cardinal Wolseley, a type of car.

Oh, all right, it was Cardinal Wolsey really.

Pyriform
190659.  Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:09 pm Reply with quote

jonp wrote:
one of John Hurt's finest roles, apart from the bit in "Alien"
and the Elephant Man and Caligula in I, Claudius and Timothy Evans in 10 Rillington Place and ...

Fifi
190669.  Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:36 pm Reply with quote

smiley_face wrote:
That is true, but as Mike the Headless chicken shows, you need your heart (in the torso) more than you need your brain.

surely this just shows that a chicken needs its heart more than its brain, last time I checked I was slightly different to a chicken, I'll wait until a human has a similar experience to Mike the Headless Chicken to believe that I need my heart more than my brain.

i actually feel that we probably need our hearts more than our brains, as it stands if you are in hospital you have a machine do your heart's job, as yet we haven't managed that with a brain.

Jenny
190681.  Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:10 pm Reply with quote

So have we established what Oliver Cromwell's original name was yet?

AlmondFacialBar
190702.  Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:49 pm Reply with quote

Pyriform wrote:
jonp wrote:
one of John Hurt's finest roles, apart from the bit in "Alien"
and the Elephant Man and Caligula in I, Claudius and Timothy Evans in 10 Rillington Place and ...

...and on stage, in krapp's last tape. i saw it on 11-sep-2001 (yes!) and haven't been able to eat a banana without laughing since.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

smiley_face
190722.  Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:11 pm Reply with quote

Fifi wrote:
surely this just shows that a chicken needs its heart more than its brain, last time I checked I was slightly different to a chicken, I'll wait until a human has a similar experience to Mike the Headless Chicken to believe that I need my heart more than my brain.

To be honest, in terms of basic physiology and functioning of the heart and brain, and the link between the two (the autonomic nervous system), humans and chickens are pretty much the same.

mckeonj
190785.  Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:32 am Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
So have we established what Oliver Cromwell's original name was yet?

From the Cromwell Association website FAQ:
Quote:
We know a fair bit about Oliver Cromwell’s immediate ancestors and close relatives. He was not directly descended from Thomas Cromwell himself but from Thomas’s sister, Katherine, who had married Oliver’s great-great-grandfather Morgan Williams, after which the family began adopting the Cromwell surname. Oliver was one of ten children. He had two brothers, who both died young, and seven sisters, most of whom survived into adulthood

Fifi
190787.  Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:43 am Reply with quote

smiley_face wrote:
Fifi wrote:

To be honest, in terms of basic physiology and functioning of the heart and brain, and the link between the two (the autonomic nervous system), humans and chickens are pretty much the same.

I can understand that side of things but I still find it difficult to believe that if the equvilent happened to a human that it would continue to live as Mike did.

mckeonj
190803.  Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:07 am Reply with quote

At an execution by beheading, for example by the guillotine, the executioner's assistants would hold the body of the person as the blade descended, then, when the head was severed, the assistants would pound the body to expel the blood, ensuring that the heart would stop, and death ensue rapidly. Witnesses to such executions have noted that sometimes the severed head continued to show life signs for at least two minutes afterward.

Davini994
192273.  Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:17 am Reply with quote

mckeonj wrote:
...sometimes the severed head continued to show life signs for at least two minutes afterward.

Some of the bodies got well paid jobs in marketing too, I believe.

smiley_face
193642.  Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:18 am Reply with quote

This has probably been said before, but a cow only has one stomach (as do sheep, and other ruminants).

The "many stomachs" idea comes from the fact that a ruminants stomach has 4 chambers: the rumen, reticulum, omasum, and abomasum.

Page 2 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next