View previous topic | View next topic

Squirrels

Page 1 of 1

Mulvil
190064.  Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:11 am Reply with quote

No topic on these yet.

Squirrels are solitary animals, mostly anyway, and so there is no collective name for them. Some say a dray of squirrels but to me thats like saying the collective name for people is a house or the collective name of birds is a nest.

There are plenty of interesting things about sqirrels I am sure, and I hope people add anything they know here.

The are rodents and most squirrels don't actually hibernate.
Grey squirrels are capable of outcompeting red squirrels because they will eat the same foods but at an earlier stage, thus not allowing the fruits/nuts/pine cones to mature enough for the reds to eat.

Ameena
190071.  Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:30 am Reply with quote

Also, dormice are related to squirrels and aren't, in fact, mice.

Hans Mof
190075.  Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:36 am Reply with quote

Yummy!

Squirrel Recipe Homepage

AlmondFacialBar
190083.  Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:05 am Reply with quote

Ameena wrote:
Also, dormice are related to squirrels and aren't, in fact, mice.

which is why they come under the endearing name of "murmeltier" german. translates into "mumble animal" and makes me giggle every time i hear it.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Hans Mof
190088.  Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:11 am Reply with quote

This cute, little rodents German name can be used as a shibboleth (a way of distinguishing non-native speakers).

Eichhörnchen (pronunciation)

Even worse is the Bavarian Oachkatzl.

Eichhörnchen literally translates as "little oak horn", Oachkatzl as "oak cat".

AlmondFacialBar
190090.  Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:14 am Reply with quote

now, oachkatzl is just mean... *g* i mean, i find that hard to pronounce...

AlmondFacialBar

Hans Mof
190095.  Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:19 am Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
now, oachkatzl is just mean

Well, it's Bavarian, what else would you expect? Don't ever let them start on squirrel tails, though.

Oachkatzlschwoaf!

AlmondFacialBar
190102.  Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:28 am Reply with quote

*ROFL* which reminds me of an incident i once experienced in the chiemgau (don't even ask). there was a little girl in the village shop and when her mom called her her name turned out to be - salome! in deepest oberboarisch! can you imagine the pain?

AlmondFacialBar

Sophie.A
615287.  Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:17 am Reply with quote

Squirrels are sometimes seen gnawing on the bark of trees. It looks like they are eating the bark but that is not the case as wood has no nutritional value for them. They are merely gnawing to keep their teeth in shape. Squirrels are rodents and so their incisor teeth grow continuously throughout their lives; without regular gnawing to wear them out their incisors would grow to ungainly proportions.

samivel
615289.  Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:18 am Reply with quote

Sabre-tooth squirrels!

Pallas Athena
615326.  Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:50 am Reply with quote

Squirrels (and rodents in general) do not hunt vertebrate prey or scavenge meat. It therefore came as a complete complete surprise when a bush squirrel was seen attempting to savage a fruit bat to death in Tanzania recently.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_news/newsid_8261000/8261364.stm

Bondee
623142.  Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:29 pm Reply with quote

Extreme Squirrelers Wanted

Quote:
A project dubbed extreme squirreling is to seek out red squirrels in parts of the Highlands where few, or no, records of the mammals exist.

Conservationists at See Red Highland said Forestry Commission Scotland held statistics for numbers in "core areas".

But they said little was known about populations in Sutherland, Caithness, Wester Ross, Morven and Ardnamurchan.

Events will be held where volunteers will search for reds, or evidence of them such as eaten pine cones.

Sophie.A
629778.  Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:18 am Reply with quote

Isle squirrel crosses to mainland

Quote:
Red squirrels have found their way across the Menai Strait from Anglesey to Gwynedd, conservationists believe.

Two squirrels were found at Treborth and on the Faenol estate near Bangor – the first time a member of the species had been found in the area for decades.

Scientists are now waiting for the results of DNA testing to establish if they came from the Anglesey colonies.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8325967.stm

MrToad
820744.  Tue May 31, 2011 3:49 pm Reply with quote

Pallas Athena wrote:
Squirrels (and rodents in general) do not hunt vertebrate prey or scavenge meat. It therefore came as a complete complete surprise when a bush squirrel was seen attempting to savage a fruit bat to death in Tanzania recently.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_news/newsid_8261000/8261364.stm

Only a somewhat complete surprise to me; I have long considered squirrels (especially Grey Squirrels) to be instruments of Evil. I suspect the fruit bat in question caught the squirrel defrauding an elderly widow or stealing candy from an orphan baby or something. He was going to eat not only the evidence, but also the witness. Squirrels are like that.

Jenny
820978.  Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:25 am Reply with quote

Welcome Mr.Toad :-)

Page 1 of 1