View previous topic | View next topic

where is this quote from?

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

what do you think of people who answer questions with other questions?
mysterious and interesting
21%
 21%  [ 5 ]
annoying tosser
78%
 78%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 23

Dr. Know
210057.  Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:45 pm Reply with quote

i was reading a fiction book yesterday, and one of the bad guys said this latin phrase. any ideas what it means?

Pie Iesu domine,
dona eis requiem,
Ego vadum edo vestri animus,
Ego mos attero vestri mens,
Cultus Mihi
Ego sum vestri excellens.

suze
210062.  Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:55 pm Reply with quote

The first two lines are from the Latin Mass.

Not sure about the rest.

djgordy
210067.  Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:01 pm Reply with quote

Blessed Lord Jesus,
grant them rest.

I'll get back to you on the rest.

Dr. Know
210069.  Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:05 pm Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
Blessed Lord Jesus,
grant them rest.

hmm...doesnt sound very "badguyish", does it?

Last edited by Dr. Know on Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

suze
210079.  Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:38 pm Reply with quote

The rest is something like

"I cross to devour your courage
I wish to weaken your mind
Worship me
I am to be your superior"

(I know a very small amount of Latin, and that's a cleaned up machine translation.)

Dr. Know
210081.  Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:39 pm Reply with quote

now thats badguyish!

96aelw
210086.  Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:03 pm Reply with quote

Not sure I can quite agree with that translation, I'm afraid (and while I'm being pernickerty, the Pie Jesu features only in the Requiem Mass, and is absent from the common or garden Mass).

I'm equally not sure what I can offer in its stead, though; that is a distinctly odd bit of Latin, to my mind. Too many of the nouns are nominative, for a start, which means, in praactical terms, that the verb "attero", which means to rub against, wear away, or generally weaken or ruin, is lacking an object, which it clearly needs. Assuming, however, that "mens" ought to be "mentem", and is this elusive object, and that the rest of it is free from errors, the best I can do you is as follows:

I, spirit, devour your shallows.
I, will, weaken your mind.
Worship me [or worship is due to me, or something like that].
I, superior, am yours.

All of which sounds like gibberish to me. For a start, I think that the first line is much more likely to be supposed to mean something about devouring your spirit, but that definitely isn't what it says. I suspect that this is a bit of Latin which has, somewhere in its life span, been somewhat mangled. It looks a bit like it was put together by someone looking up each individual word they wanted in a Latin dictionary, but who didn't actually have any knowledge of Latin grammar, although that may not be what actually has happened.

96aelw
210090.  Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:17 pm Reply with quote

If it has, what it may have been intended to mean might be as follows:

I, vadum*, devour your spirit.
I, will, weaken your mind.
Worship me.
I am your superior.

Which is, of course, very nearly what suze said. Thus, after all my quibbling, I can finally conclude that my original effort, while it reflects what the Latin actually says more accurately, is probably a significantly more rubbish expression of the author's intentions. Good work, Williams. Mr Tennick would be proud. Oh well.

*I haven't attempted a translation for vadum this time, because I can't come up with anything plausible. It means, originally, "a shallow, shoal or ford in a river or sea", says my Latin dictionary, but comes to be used to mean water, river or sea in general, or the bottom of a stretch of water. If any of these make sense in context, then that's what it means. If none does, then, continuing on the cock up hypothesis, whoever it was might have got the wrong word, although I can't immediately suggest what they might have been aiming for. The more eagle eyed amongst you, incidentally, will have spotted from all this that I could, in my original translation, have rendered the first line "I, spirit, devour your bottom", which would at least have had the virtue of being funny. Ah well, l'esprit d'escalier, and all that.

Celebaelin
210093.  Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:42 pm Reply with quote

More Buffy quotage I'm afraid...

Quote:
DAWN: Just a dream. It was just a dream, right?
BUFFY: From beneath you, it devours. That's what she said, and then they... There's more like her, Dawn. Out there somewhere. And they're gonna die.

Beneath You
Quote:
ANDREW: Ah, I didn't like it there. Everyone spoke Mexicalan.
JONATHAN: You could've learned it. You learned the entire Klingon dictionary in two and a half weeks.
ANDREW: That had much clearer transitive and intransitive rules, OK? Besides, I can't keep having those nightmares.
JONATHAN: Me neither. Desde abajo te debora.
ANDREW: "It eats you starting with your bottom."

Conversations With Dead People

suze
210094.  Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:44 pm Reply with quote

Grr, you are right about the Mass of course 96. There's a reason why I'm a lapsed Catholic ...

Good work on the other four lines though - I don't know much Latin, and all I really did was turn the machine translation into something vaguely resembling English.

Graham Spragg
879626.  Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:51 pm Reply with quote

Hello, I'm new to using the QI Forums. On reading "Where is this quote from?", I then see a poll question asking "what do you think of people who answer questions with other questions?" -

Is this some pop-up thing or is it the official quote? (I did'nt think it would be possible to quote a poll; only things like others posts, book references, etc)[/b]

Spud McLaren
879636.  Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:06 pm Reply with quote

Hi, Graham - welcome to QI!

The poll isn't a pop-up; it's something the original poster (OP) included in his post (post 188979), but I don't know why. Perhaps the good Dr. might drop by to enlighten us.

CB27
879673.  Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:03 pm Reply with quote

I get a feeling there might have been a post or two removed :)

Jenny
879911.  Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:23 pm Reply with quote

I don't think so, CB, unless it was another moderator who removed it. I think the poll may have been intended humorously :-)

Welcome to the forums, Graham Spragg.

Dr. Know
880039.  Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:33 pm Reply with quote

I posted this thread in 2007, when I was 14.

Every time one of the old threads comes up I suffer the same embarrassment as if people were seeing my baby pictures.

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next