View previous topic | View next topic

Freud

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Hypnobabe
223504.  Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:59 pm Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
very true, jenny! actually, while it would be far from me to dismiss freud's work in toto - he founded a medical discipline after all - a lot of it was far too influenced by the ideas and prejudices of his class and time to be academically sound.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

I've also been told that the medical discipline he founded was based entirely on his work with only approximately 100 women, all of whom he diagnosed with 'hysteria'!!

Screwtape
223832.  Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:01 pm Reply with quote

markvent wrote:

To me Freud clearly had a pretty flimsy grasp on Greek myth ...

If my books weren't packed away somewhere (*sniff*) I'd be able to get the exact quote and source, but Levi Strauss wrote in one of his essays that Freud's biggest strength was as a myth teller. I like the idea of mutable myths, though Classics scholars must cringe every time they hear a Freudian spin on an old story.

Jenny
223882.  Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:22 pm Reply with quote

Bruno Bettelheim wrote a wonderful book called The Uses of Enchantment, about how truths about life and the psyche were wrapped up in folk tales and fairy tales.

Solle
249167.  Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:22 pm Reply with quote

Freud was convinced the main reason people enjoy trains is because the back-and-forth motions remind them of sex. (Foregoing the more obvious "long hard fast-moving object entering a tunnel" visual, of course.)

He also believed bisexuality was caused by hermaphroditism on a genetic level.

His first published paper was about the testicles of eels.

Fontanelle
249233.  Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:55 pm Reply with quote

I find Freud as enlighting as he is narrow-minded, but most definitely QI.

I've read that Jung and Freud were close friends until it all went quite ugly and they lost touch completely - something about one of them getting horribly depressed with the other's company. Subsequently, Jung supposedly wrote a spiteful paper arguing Freud was homosexual. How much of this is true?

Oolon Colluphid
252647.  Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:55 am Reply with quote

A series late, but Freud's "unwritten case" involves a patient called E. (see this)

Also, when psychoanalysis gets a bit tough, buy Tickle Me Freud.

Sergei
252677.  Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:25 am Reply with quote

Quote:
# Suitable for ages 5 years+ but its funnier if understand a little of Freud.
About 7 then?

THiNK TaNK
266503.  Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:41 pm Reply with quote

markvent wrote:

Found by a shepherd, he was given to Polybus and Merope, the unsung heroes of the story, who reared Oedipus, as they named him, into a fine young man.

Not entirely relavent, but Oedipus means 'swollen ankles' because his royal parents left him tied by his ankles on a hill to die.

<3 Oh Tiresius, you are blind but you can see. <3

Alright, Oedipus fangirl love is self-consciously odd, I will stop.

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2