View previous topic | View next topic

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Page 1 of 11
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

smiley_face
191275.  Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:42 pm Reply with quote

Well, it seems that this particular country has slipped through the net. I can't possibly think why.

Anyway, I was looking up Hawaii to see what there is to do there while planning a trip and came across the following.

Hawaii is the southernmost and westernmost island of the US. Its State Mammal is the humpback whale, while its State Fish is the humu­humu­nuku­nuku­āpua'a, also known as the "humuhumu", or the reef triggerfish.

"Big Island" is, as the name suggests, the biggest island in Hawaii, also known as the Island of Hawai'i. It is the location of the Punaluʻu Black Sand Beach, which was formed as a result of hot volcanic lava flowing into the sea and, on contact with the cold water, exploding.

Efros
198695.  Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:22 am Reply with quote

Wasn't Hawaii illegally taken over by the US by deposing its legal monarch?

suze
198724.  Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:55 am Reply with quote

Yes, in 1894.

Although the Hawai'ian monarchy was in trouble before that. Hawai'i had been created as a single kingdom in 1810 (previously each island had its own ruler), but the death of King Kamehameha V without an heir in 1872 complicated matters.

The Hawai'ians decided to elect a new king and duly chose King Lunalilo (whose name was actually William), but he died within a year and he too was without an heir. This led to a rather contentious election campaign, and suggestions that the new King Kalākaua (David)'s win over Queen Emma (the widow of King Kamehameha) may have been rigged. Civil unrest developed, and the Hawai'ians requested American assistance to quell the riots. Bad move.

King Kalākaua appointed a number of American advisers, many of them Mormons, and was soon prevailed upon to introduce democracy (of a sort). After he died in 1891 and was succeeded by his sister Queen Lili'uokalani (actually called Lydia), a group of white residents of Hawai'i attempted to stage a coup-d'état - and meanwhile, the US military arrived in town, ostensibly to protect the interests of American citizens in Hawai'i. You can guess the rest.

One other thing on Hawai'i. Most people prononuce it "Ha-wye-ee", but the traditional Hawai'ian pronunciation is "Huh-voi?-ee" where the ? represents a glottal stop.

Jenny
202285.  Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:52 pm Reply with quote

Same with Kauai, suze - I have a couple of friends who live there, and they pronounce it Kuh-wah?-ee or something like that.

grizzly
202585.  Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:58 am Reply with quote

Hmmm, I saw a movie about the whole series of events a couple of weeks ago. Was an interesting story.

samivel
202591.  Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:23 pm Reply with quote

What was the movie called?

grizzly
202612.  Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:16 pm Reply with quote

I don't know. Started watching it after it started and I had no TV listings to inform me of its title.

samivel
202614.  Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:19 pm Reply with quote

Damn.

Ah, well.

nepfan89
225269.  Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:55 pm Reply with quote

For other great places to visit in the US try:

Monmouth Cave in Kentucky
Moab State Park in Moab Utah
Devil's Tower in Wyoming

those are my favorite thus far. I still haven't gotten to Maine for Acadia State Park, but from what I've seen online it looks amazing

Jenny
225657.  Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:16 pm Reply with quote

I live in Maine and Acadia National Park is truly gorgeous.

Tas
225659.  Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:17 pm Reply with quote

Devil's Tower in Wyoming.

Frequented by UFO nuts. Nutters' Knoll is eminently more amusing.

"It's a Nine Megaton Nun, Son!"

:-)

Tas

atheistnerd
232728.  Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:56 pm Reply with quote

"Well, it seems that this particular country has slipped through the net. I can't possibly think why."

Probably their meek and rather quiet nature....

Here are some random facts about America and its wonderful people:

- About a third of all Americans flush the toilet while they're still sitting on it.

-Percentage of Africa that is wilderness: 28% Percentage of North America that is wilderness: 38%

-Up until the early 20th century, New Jersey and Wisconsin had laws allowing the castration of epileptics

-$203,000,000 is spent on barbed wire each year in the U.S.

Jenny
233187.  Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:48 pm Reply with quote

atheistnerd wrote:

-Percentage of Africa that is wilderness: 28% Percentage of North America that is wilderness: 38%

Oooh - source for that one please?

suze
233252.  Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:28 pm Reply with quote

At first sight, that's an incredible sounding fact - and it appears on a fair few trivia sites, although I haven't found a proper source for it yet.

But if you consider that North America includes vast tracts of northern Canada, together with Alaska and Greenland, the fact suddenly becomes less astounding.

EDITED to correct crap grammar...

Last edited by suze on Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

alanrussell
233253.  Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:12 pm Reply with quote

Kennebunkport on the Atlantic Coast was one of the highlights of our visit to America last November. Prefabricated lighthouses, lobster fishing and the houses inland from the coast with the special platforms on the roofs so the captains wives could look out to sea watching for their husbands ships to return home. Blueberry pie and steaming mugs of coffee looking over the mudflats while the tide was out and a visit to a cosy bookshop where I bought a book on the history of lobster fishing in New England.

Believe it or not, that when Europeans first arrived in the area lobster were so abundant it was considered a working man's meal and they were even spread on the fields as fertiliser they were so plentiful.....lobsters that is and not the working men. The book is "The Lobster Coast" by Colin Woodward.

Page 1 of 11
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next