View previous topic | View next topic

RUSSIA

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

grizzly
100251.  Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:14 pm Reply with quote

Moving to the other end of the scale in terms of size, Russia is the largest country in the world by landmass. It is however, much smaller than the USSR was towards the end of its existence.

(I should note that the Edit made here was just before Sarnivel pointed out the Russia vs USSR point since I has just been told this by Suze in gabbly. However, it did not register as an edit)

Last edited by grizzly on Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:53 am; edited 1 time in total

samivel
100257.  Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:28 pm Reply with quote

Is it? I would have thought that Russia is pretty much the same size as before. It's the Soviet Union that shrank.

Flash
100327.  Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:37 am Reply with quote

Grizzly's statement is accurate, surely: Russia is smaller than the USSR was.

samivel
100345.  Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:07 am Reply with quote

The statement I read said that Russia was smaller now than it was when it was part of the Soviet Union. It's now been changed.

(And it's saMivel, dammit! ;)

grizzly
100346.  Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:44 am Reply with quote

rn looks incredibly similar to m in that small font.

dr.bob
101026.  Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:27 am Reply with quote

That's why my chemistry teacher always used to be exceptionally careful when he wrote the word "BURN" in lower case on the blackboard :)

Kingbarney
102175.  Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:27 pm Reply with quote

The meaning of the Russia, actually means those with the red hair referring to the people living around Moscow. Ironically theyre any famous Russain that have red hair and recently you dont won't think of Russains as Red haired

grizzly
102177.  Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:35 pm Reply with quote

Kingbarney wrote:
The meaning of the Russia, actually means those with the red hair referring to the people living around Moscow. Ironically theyre any famous Russain that have red hair and recently you dont won't think of Russains as Red haired

Translation:

The word Russia actually means "those with red hair", in reference to the people living around Moscow. Ironically there are no famous Russiand with red hair and you wouldn't think of Russians as being red-haired.

I don't know if there is any validity to that. Is that what Russia means and are there no famour Russians with red hair?

Kingbarney
102178.  Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:38 pm Reply with quote

Well can you name one famous Russian with red hair ?

grizzly
102182.  Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:45 pm Reply with quote

Can you name a famous Russian and tell me their hair colour?

grizzly
102183.  Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:55 pm Reply with quote

The etymology of Rus (and Russia) is not agreed upon and is certainly disputed. One possibility is "red people" although that doesn't specify red hair. Other possibilities could include:

"people who rowed", or "light skinned people", or "people of water"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etymology_of_Rus_and_derivatives

BondiTram
102374.  Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:56 am Reply with quote

Could the red hair be confused with blond or fair? I believe the Vikings were particularly active in those regions some time ago, reaching as far as the Black Sea.

Lumpo31
102386.  Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:20 am Reply with quote

grizzly wrote:
Can you name a famous Russian and tell me their hair colour?

The late Raisa Gorbachyova (aka Raisa Gorbachev) had red hair. Don't know if it was natural though.

Lisa

(Edit - her parents were Ukrainian though, so I guess she doesn't count)

suze
102393.  Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:43 am Reply with quote

Raisa's father, Maksim Titarenko, was a Ukrainian - but moved to Siberia with his work on the railroad. Her mother was Siberian, and Raisa was born in Siberia - so I reckon she can count as a Russian.

I've just checked out a few photos of her. Some show her with dark hair and some show her all a bit "Rita from Coronation Street", so it seems unlikely she was a natural red head.

Please don't do a Google search on "Russian red head" or any such thing - suffice it to say that a large number of results appear ...

I have a vague feeling that Czajkowski (Polish spelling - Tchaikovsky seems to be the usual form in Britain) was a red head, but the only pictures of him I can find are in black and white. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Crunchy
102443.  Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:03 am Reply with quote

In AD 862 Rurik, a Viking Chieftain took control of the Slavic kingdoms that came to be know as "Land of the Rus". From the Scandinavians , called Varangians or Rus, came the name Russiya, or Russia, meaning the country of the Rus.

Russia's 19,913km of land boundaries abut on more countries than those of any other nation.

Russians follow the Julian calendar so celebrate Christmas on the 7th January and the October Revolution actually happened in November and is celebrated on the 7th of November.

Oh! And they like vodka, lots of it!

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next