View previous topic | View next topic

BELGIUM

Page 8 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

knightmare
1048520.  Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:57 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
even though Vlaamse is strictly speaking Low Franconian.

Vlaams (like Deutsch, Deutsche Sprache), and isn't the whole language low-deutsch? Anyway, the basic safe rule indeed is to not use the wrong language. When in doub^f^f^f^fBrussels, French will be your best bet. You can use the wrong language when the other person is really trying to use the right language, or when there's no other option. Vlaamse investors typically don't have a problem with French publications of e.g. [http://www.socfin.com/Public/Period_page.php?ID=939&ancestor1=1052&ancestor2=1709]Socfin S.A.[/url] (Lux), despite the fact that key data is only available in French instead of English. Discussing the Socfin shares is quite popular in Flanders. You wouldn't have guessed it's a foreign share. A Flemish alternative for palm oil investors, Sipef, is less popular. The language is French, but it's accepted because there's no other choice. Well, maybe they don't read more information than strictly required, but they do read and discuss it.

AlmondFacialBar
1048523.  Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:05 pm Reply with quote

Well, I couldn't tell you about working in Belgian financial services, but I can tell you about living in Belgium.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

knightmare
1048811.  Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:02 pm Reply with quote

Dutch-Flemish. Use the French-Flemish word instead of the Dutch word:

Kippenragout: vol-au-vent
Tosti: croque, croque-monsieur

Reversed, do not use the French-Dutch word:

Jus d'orange: appelsiensap, fruitsap

Zebra57
1056610.  Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:37 am Reply with quote

The recent decision to allow euthanasia for children with diagnosed terminal illness has provoked widespread criticism.

knightmare
1058242.  Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:48 am Reply with quote

Visiting Chinese pandas threaten to open old wounds in Di Rupo's Belgium

Last edited by knightmare on Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Fien
1058311.  Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:58 pm Reply with quote

There's quite a fuzz around the panda's, it's in the newspapers and you could follow their arrival on the airport of Zaventem live. There were 2000 people waiting in Pairi Daiza waiting to greet the animals, some even dressed up as panda's.
This is a (Dutch) article with some photos about there arrival at Zaventem:
http://www.standaard.be/cnt/DMF20140223_00993550?pid=3109536

'yorz
1058313.  Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:28 pm Reply with quote

Nope, it's a Belgian article (the .be is a bit of a giveaway).
However - the expression 'tochtig' (= draughty, as with an ill-fitting door) for a bitch in heat made me chortle. Had forgotten about that word.

knightmare
1058349.  Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:43 pm Reply with quote

Regarding PM Di Rupo and silly Flemish political complaints regarding not selecting the Antwerp Zoo to host the animals, Pairi Daiza (Paradise) already has the largest Chinese garden in Europe since 2006. Preferring Pairi Daiza isn't that strange at all.

Quote:
There's quite a fuzz around the panda's, it's in the newspapers and you could follow their arrival on the airport of Zaventem live. There were 2000 people waiting in Pairi Daiza waiting to greet the animals, some even dressed up as panda's.

I think Pairi Daiza is a great example of the development of new businesses in Wallonia, slowly replacing rusty industries and former coal mines. Paira Daiza itself is listed at the Brussels stock exchange, so an interesting price chart clearly shows the expected (+149.77%) panda economy.

Fien
1058374.  Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:14 am Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
Nope, it's a Belgian article (the .be is a bit of a giveaway).

I know it's a Belgian article, but I meant 'an article written in Dutch', because even though everyone says flemish I don't feel the difference between the two. Sorry for the confusion.

@Knightmare:
They hope indeed that the panda's will attract a lot of people. A couple of years ago we had a baby elephant 'Kai mook' in the zoo of Antwerp, and they made a lot of fuzz about it. It was a hype in Belgium. A bit like with the icebear Knut in the zoo of Berlin .

Fien
1058376.  Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:17 am Reply with quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26318533

even the bbc reported about it.

knightmare
1058412.  Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:50 am Reply with quote

Quote:
A bit like with the icebear Knut in the zoo of Berlin .

Or Marius the Danish giraffe, not to be donated to a competing zoo. This kind of Disney-marketing is already in use now. The names of the animals, Xing Hui and Hao Hao, were printed on the fuselage and the container.

Fien
1058566.  Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:16 pm Reply with quote

And that while there are enough cubs in the wild. They don't make such a fuzz around them. But you do have a lot of animalprograms about underfeed cubs, etc.

Fien
1059349.  Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:20 am Reply with quote

'Kunstpaus' Jan Hoet is dead, he died yesterday.

'yorz
1059374.  Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:13 am Reply with quote

Never heard of him, so cannot gauge the impact of his demise on the world. :-)

Fien
1059500.  Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:04 am Reply with quote

He is a big figure here in Belgium (I admit that he wouldn't have a big impact on the world), it was big news on every tvchannel en newspapers. He is the one who brought art (especially in Flandres) to the major public. He started the museum for modern art in Ghent (S.M.A.K.) en was curator of the museum of arts in Ghent. He was also famous for his boxing. He was quite an exentric figure, who promoted controversial art: for example from Panamarenko and Luc Tuymans (who are international artists nowadays).

Page 8 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next