View previous topic | View next topic

Mickey Mouse

Page 1 of 1

eggshaped
183386.  Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:49 am Reply with quote

I don't know what happened to this fact, but I'm re-posting it becasue I have more on Mickey Mouse and wanted to log it.

Which was the first cartoon to contain Mickey Mouse?

Forfeit: Steamboat Willie

Answer: Plane Crazy

Mickey Mouse did not make his debut in the 1928 cartoon short Steamboat Willie, as is commonly thought. He appeared in another short, Plane Crazy.

**new fact**

This object dates back to 900AD:

Possible F-series question, "What's this" - apparently it's supposed to represent a lion.

link

Bunter
183891.  Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:58 pm Reply with quote

marktjeffrey
404529.  Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:34 am Reply with quote

A curious thing about Mickey Mouse is the way that US Copyright law (for EVERYTHING) is always extended every time that Mickey gets close to becoming a public domain property, thanks to heavy lobbying by the movie industry.

suze
404618.  Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:07 am Reply with quote

Yea, Mickey is still in copyright - at present until 2020 in the US. So check back in twelve years and see if American copyright law has been changed again by then.

There is a claim - most notably made by one Lauren Vanpelt while a student at Arizona State University - that Mickey is in fact in the public domain; her paper on the matter is called Mickey Mouse - a truly public character. Ms Vanpelt has since moved into conventional legal practice in Arizona, and seems not to have followed the matter up.

All the same, few have been so bold as to use the character regardless and wait for Disney to bring suit. Hamas is one organization that has - it used a character almost identical to Mickey in a children's show on its TV station al Aqsa.

That character was called Farfur and said things like "You and I are laying the foundation for a world led by Islamists" (well OK, so it spoke in Arabic, but that was the sort of tone). The character is no more though - in the storyline, it was beaten to death by an Israeli in June 2007.

Small wonder that Diane Disney Miller described this as "pure evil", but the prospect of bringing a legal action against Hamas in Ramallah somehow did not appeal.

Davini994
404624.  Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:12 am Reply with quote

We could have a

court, presided over by a

grimwig
404960.  Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:29 pm Reply with quote

the late geoffrey perkins once said that he was working on a us version of spitting image, and was told that mickey was the only subject that his show would not be allowed to make a puppet of. They could do as many famous murderers or religious figures and negotiate with the legal team but don't touch the mouse.

As Andy Hamilton once said 'Disney? they're worse than the mafia'.

I'll probably find a duck's head on my pillow when I go to sleep

Page 1 of 1