View previous topic | View next topic

Fedderchei

Page 1 of 1

northcoombes
328960.  Fri May 02, 2008 10:50 am Reply with quote

Ok, I give up! Please tell me that my week-long search for the meaning of "Fedderchei" (fruitless I might add) does not demonstrate my General Ignorance about some in-joke? Or have I possibly fallen foul to a cunning ploy designed to ensure none of us ever get to meet the Gods who are Fry and Davies?

I wrote to several (okay, many)"Amish" organisations, academics, linguists etc. who all kindly responded that they had never heard of the word Fedderchei ...

The Mennonite Society of British Columbia responded with: "The term as we understand it is small spring such as one would find in a watch, and as a slang term, the first part “faddaje” a cousin."

Another wrote: "I can rule out options (b)-(d) right away. It MAY also be that "- chei" is "schei", a loanword from English (< 'shy'). In that case,
the word would be an adjective, literally "feather-shy", which MIGHT
have once been used (adjectivally) meaning 'reluctant to write a
letter'. But as I say, "Fedder" only means 'feather' today, not 'pen'."

Is there anyone on the forum kind enough to put me out of my misery so that I might return to what passes for a somewhat reasonable existence?

MNC

Davini994
328971.  Fri May 02, 2008 11:15 am Reply with quote

Haven't got a clue, but welcome to QI.com/talk :)

I'm sure there will be someone along shortly who knows the answer. Would you like a cup of tea while we are waiting?

bookworm
328972.  Fri May 02, 2008 11:18 am Reply with quote

i'm sure suze will be along soon, she'll more than likely now :)
would you like any cake with your tea?

northcoombes
328973.  Fri May 02, 2008 11:20 am Reply with quote

Oooh tea and cake - that is a warm welcome (:

samivel
328980.  Fri May 02, 2008 11:29 am Reply with quote

Welcome :)

suze
328989.  Fri May 02, 2008 11:37 am Reply with quote

Hi northcoombes, welcome aboard!

As this is a question from a QI competition that has not yet closed, I fear that I am forbidden to reveal the answer.

Nice try though!

northcoombes
328990.  Fri May 02, 2008 11:38 am Reply with quote

Thank you!

Cheering up now that I realise that I am not particularly stupid for not being able to discover the meaning of "Fedderchei".

It's the first time EVER the wonder that is the WWW has let me down....

CB27
328997.  Fri May 02, 2008 11:43 am Reply with quote

You know what, I'm going to be even dumber, what competition are we talking about?

samivel
329000.  Fri May 02, 2008 11:46 am Reply with quote

This one.

northcoombes
329001.  Fri May 02, 2008 11:47 am Reply with quote

Sorry Suze - thought it was okay to discuss it with other forum members. I know anyone with Insider knowledge wouldn't be able to divulge the answer - as is only fair.

MNC

Gluben
329089.  Fri May 02, 2008 1:43 pm Reply with quote

I did think that it sounded like a type of cheese. But my (poor) logic was that it would be c) A parting salutation, for the simple reason that it sounded like the Italian word for goodbye, "arrivederci"!

Page 1 of 1