View previous topic | View next topic

"Frood"

Page 1 of 1

Amanda Prefect
348524.  Fri May 30, 2008 12:47 pm Reply with quote

Knowing how crap I am, everyone will probably already be aware of this, but here goes.

Those of you with a predilection for the Hitchhikers Guide series will already be aware of the word "frood" as a noun describing a "really amazingly together guy".

However, Douglas Adams wasn't the first to use the term; it was originally used for something more obvious - frozen food. Frood was invented and marketed by J. Lyons and Co., led to rather large company losses, and seems to have been largely forgotten by everyone save Victor Lewis-Smith, who mentions it in his series Ads Infinitum (and describes it as "boil in the bag slop that tasted like shite"). There is, however, a page about Frood here. It's even mentioned in an article about Lyons from the Time magazine archives, from back in 1948.

Anyone here remember non-Hitchhiker-related Frood? :) (I think I'm about twenty years too young... O_O)

dr.bob
350369.  Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:15 am Reply with quote

I've only ever heard of Frood in a Hitchhiker-related context. I love the sound of Lyons' "Frood division." I now have an image of a group of really amazingly together guys :)

Thanks for that one, Amanda.

jonp
351784.  Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:13 pm Reply with quote

I remember Findus frozen boil-in-bag curries in the 60's, We thought they were pretty bloody exotic then, I can tell you: but I don't remember the "Frood" marque. Surprisingly tasty, although they were a bit heavy on the sultanas*

The one that has me at a loss to name, and I've been googling away for the last half-hour without success, was a boil-in-the-can arrangement. The can - about the size of a Campbell's soup can - was divided in two horizontally; one half held sauce, the other a carb of some sort. The two that come to mind were beef curry and rice, and spaghetti (pre-cooked, just waiting to be re-heated) and bolognaise sauce. After boiling the can for twenty minutes, you would open the can at each end and serve. Clear instructions were printed on the ends of the can as to which end to open first (the label would have parted company from the can after a couple of minutes in boiling water, so they couldn't print the opening instructions on that.) Now, that really was slop that tasted like shite.

If anyone can remember what the brand was called, I'd like to know. It'll stop me from worrying about it.

*We were just so sophisticated then.

Page 1 of 1