View previous topic | View next topic

Merkins

Page 1 of 1

Flash
180115.  Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:16 am Reply with quote

This one isn't going to run, because my thinking was: "everybody knows that a merkin is a pubic wig, so hopefully it actually isn't" - but it turns out that it really is, if you follow me. A stillborn fox.

However, I thought I'd share this citation from etymonline:
Quote:
This put a strange Whim in his Head; which was, to get the hairy circle of [a prostitute's] Merkin .... This he dry'd well, and comb'd out, and then return'd to the Cardinall, telling him, he had brought St. Peter's Beard.

Alexander Smith, A Complete History of the Lives and Robberies of the most notorious Highwaymen, 1714.

'yorz
683734.  Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:48 pm Reply with quote

I read this story (not sure whether it's true) about a man who loved fly fishing, and always made his own flies. One day he asked his good wife if he could use a few of her pubic hairs, because he figured that the sent of pheromones might attract the fish. The idea proved so successful that before long the lady had run out of pubic hair.

hassan el kebir
683738.  Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:05 pm Reply with quote

I think it's ever such a jolly word, shame one doesn't get that many chances for dropping it into conversation

Spud McLaren
683758.  Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:20 pm Reply with quote

Coincidentally, I was thinking about this on the train to Birmingham yesterday: how is a merkin attached? With an internal clip? Glue?

suze
683765.  Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:36 pm Reply with quote

An internal clip sounds less than comfortable!

But no, they are attached with spirit gum, just as is used for sticky-on beards and such like. I suppose double sided tape as used with toupees would also work.

samivel
683775.  Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:36 pm Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
I read this story (not sure whether it's true) about a man who loved fly fishing, and always made his own flies. One day he asked his good wife if he could use a few of her pubic hairs, because he figured that the sent of pheromones might attract the fish. The idea proved so successful that before long the lady had run out of pubic hair.

I don't think that is true - in fact, I'm pretty sure it featured on the show once.

Ah, here we go, it was on the 'Fight or Flight' episode (the one with Pam Ayres on it):

Quote:
Someone wrote a letter to The Field in which they . . . he . . . he said he'd had huge success using his wife's pubic hairs, and a whole generation of fishermen copied this, and there was a belief that pheromones which are probably the chemicals you were after . . . Pheromones that women give off . . . But there are a number of problems with this, chief of which is that there is absolutely no evidence that humans give off pheromones of any kind.

Zebra57
683786.  Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:58 pm Reply with quote

Were they perhaps fishing for cunning ling?

Spud McLaren
687222.  Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:38 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
An internal clip sounds less than comfortable!

But no, they are attached with spirit gum, just as is used for sticky-on beards and such like. I suppose double sided tape as used with toupees would also work.
How would they have been attached in the 18th C, when the demand (due to STD-induced alopecia) may well have been greater than it is today? Did spirit gum exist in a satisfactory form then?

Spud McLaren
687226.  Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:43 am Reply with quote

Have googled a liitle and the answer so far seems to be that it was held in place by a string, much in the same way as a stage beard.

suze
687358.  Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:59 am Reply with quote

Or a string of the "G" variety, it would seem. Apparently you can buy a merkin thong which has a practically transparent band.

'yorz
687360.  Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:01 pm Reply with quote

Do they exist in the dreadlock-variety?

Spud McLaren
687389.  Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:33 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Or a string of the "G" variety, it would seem.
Yes. That.

Zebra57
687639.  Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:16 pm Reply with quote

I found this reference to Mr Merkin in the Wall Street Journal

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123154725747869771.html

Page 1 of 1