15%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 19

Ian Dunn
179319.  Thu May 31, 2007 7:03 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Q: Who invented motion pictures?
K: Thomas Edison
A: William Kennedy Dickson

Like many of his inventions, Edison is created with inventing film, but it was actually one of his workers, William Kennedy Dickson, who created the, "Kinetoscope". Although it did not project images on a screen, you could see the images through a window.

Dickson and Edison did have problems. Dickson wanted to make the film that was used larger, from 19mm wide with a single sprocket, to 35mm with a double sprocket. Edison however, failed to see why it needed to be bigger. However, Dickson won and 35mm is the standard form of film that is still used.

Wikipedia article on William Kennedy Dickson

mckeonj
179439.  Thu May 31, 2007 12:42 pm Reply with quote

Yes, I would like to see a QI film, but only if it has a good 'love triangle' story line.
Now, let's see, who is involved with whom, and who's heart is breaking?
Any suggestions?

Mulvil
179444.  Thu May 31, 2007 12:54 pm Reply with quote

Alan in love with a woman who likes his whimsical way but secretely likes stephens brain maybe possibly could it?

djgordy
179493.  Thu May 31, 2007 6:32 pm Reply with quote

Hmm. The kinematope, as Mr. Dunn pointed out, only allowed one person at a time to view the image. The Lumiere Brothers are generally considered the first to project moving photographic images to more than one paying customer.

However, as is so often the case, the "truth" is a lot less straight forward (as anyone who has felt my wrath for saying that Marconi invented radio will already know!).

There are quite a few contenders as this article will tell you.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~wichm/myth.html

Of course, we already have a love triangle on these boards; namely, King of Quok, his monkey wife and the orang utan she was having it off with behind his back.

http://www.qi.com/talk/viewtopic.php?p=175926&highlight=monkey#175926

Ian Dunn
179498.  Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:53 am Reply with quote

If there was a QI film, I would think it probably be better if it was a documentry film.

It could feature Stephen, Alan and the two John's going around the world, trying to find things that are quite interesting.

mckeonj
179499.  Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:36 am Reply with quote

Ian Dunn wrote:
If there was a QI film, I would think it probably be better if it was a documentry film.

It could feature Stephen, Alan and the two John's going around the world, trying to find things that are quite interesting.

Like the Princes of Serendip.

Celebaelin
179532.  Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:57 am Reply with quote

Mulvil wrote:
Alan in love with a woman who likes his whimsical way but secretely likes stephens brain maybe possibly could it?

QI slash? Now I've seen everything.

Alright, maybe not everything. Avoid cliches like the plague, especially this one.

swot
179555.  Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:26 am Reply with quote

Mulvil wrote:

Would that be a re-make of The Man With Two Brains then?

Norfolkian
179714.  Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:20 pm Reply with quote

mckeonj wrote:
Yes, I would like to see a QI film, but only if it has a good 'love triangle' story line.
Now, let's see, who is involved with whom, and who's heart is breaking?
Any suggestions?

John Sessions is in love with Stephen; Stephen is in love with Alan; Alan is in love with Cruithne.

swot
179873.  Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:11 am Reply with quote

I though Alan was in love with Pliny.

austinallegro
179992.  Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:01 am Reply with quote

Just to be sure, are we talking about films as in motion-pictures or films as in film-stock?
If its the latter one would we be able to make a seperate thread on motion pictures?

Ian Dunn
180005.  Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:06 pm Reply with quote

I mainly designed the thread to be film as in motion-pictures (i.e. Cinema).

Page 1 of 1