Fandoms

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Neotenic
181909.  Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:38 am Reply with quote

What Victorians used for their breath:

Jenny
181966.  Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:41 am Reply with quote

I'm looking for a hat to wear to my daughter's wedding, and I'd certainly go for one of those! Though possibly without the tassel.

samivel
181978.  Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:09 am Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
If I'd been around at the time, I'd probably have sidestepped the whole issue by giving up cigarettes and simply sticking to the laudanum.

I'd have kept the cocaine, meself.

Efros
182126.  Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:37 am Reply with quote

Neotenic wrote:
What Victorians used for their breath:

Ah Bendicks, suitably expensive to stop the oiks from buying them.

AlmondFacialBar
182133.  Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:04 pm Reply with quote

hm yes, obsession... as life has it (at a hitherto uncalculated improbability factor) i was reading moab one fine night (the first time actually) and at the same time posting in another forum, in a thread dedicated to the exploits of our dear friend mr laurie. eventually i came to the passage about the flanders pigeon murderer incident - where stephen mentions that some fans get so obsessive that they end up knowing parts you have played way better than yourself. well yes... me and a friend had ben posting quoted from that very episode at each other for the past half an hour... *blush* ;-)

outside that... welllll... the truth is that the man in my life and me prefer to be woken by our jeeves alarm clock, start the day with a nice cup of twinings tea (everyday for him, earl grey for me) and finish it being lulled to sleep by stephen's rendition of a nice book on tape (moab at the moment, will probably restart harry next, in time for deadly hallows). and inbetween we do enjoy the occasional episode of jeeves and wooster or qi. as twinings everyday is still not available here we get it sent from the uk.

just in case you thought you had a problem... ;-)

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

MinervaMoon
182179.  Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:10 pm Reply with quote

This thread is too funny!

efros wrote:
my Stephen Fry monogrammed Cravat

LOL, ace. Where can I get me one o' those?

jblackley
182206.  Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:41 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
If you mean one of these ...

... then it's called a smoking cap. They were worn in Victorian times to prevent one's hair smelling of smoke after smoking.

My thanks, Suze. I'm off on the hunt for one - while composing the excuse I'll have to offer Mrsjblackley for my wearing it.

Hummingbird
182269.  Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:51 am Reply with quote

I'm definitely enthusiasm driven. When I've not got a new passion I feel listless and bored.

I can't say I've ever gone geeky about it though. I mean I love Star Trek but I'd never turn my bedroom into a replica of the Enterprise bridge as several Trekies have.

Yes, some fans do get freeky. I've come across a few on certain fan sites. They claim a connection to the band or whatever and think songs are written for them.

Fans can really add to a work of art. All the song interpretations I've read add a depth to a song that was hardly intended originally.

Isn't fandom a natural impulse? Perhaps I select my friends and lovers for their ability to be wrapped up in things and the rest of humanity lives in a steady state of contentment?

Ferg
218312.  Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:59 am Reply with quote

I have had tatoos of Stephen and Alan added to my buttocks, paid for plastic surgery to look more like Rich Hall and named my two daughters General and Ignorance. Have I gone too far?

samivel
218345.  Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:31 am Reply with quote

I suppose it depends how much you looked like Rich Hall before the surgery. ;)

Tas
218359.  Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:50 am Reply with quote

Yes. Your offspring should have been called Quite and Interesting. Or you should have had General and Ignorance tattoo'd onto your buttocks, and your offspring called Stephen and Alan.

:-)

Tas

Ferg
218368.  Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:59 am Reply with quote

I don't know...I think Genny and Iggy sound quite rock n' roll...

plus, I never really like Stephen as a girl's name...

Davini994
218412.  Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:42 am Reply with quote

How about powerstation?

Efros
218419.  Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:49 am Reply with quote

Is a fandom a prophylactic for use by an idol with a groupie?

AxmxZ
220029.  Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:06 pm Reply with quote

I can't say I'm obsessed with QI, having never actually seen a single episode on TV.

What I'm doing here is, oddly enough, paid work. :)

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next