View previous topic | View next topic

Futurama

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Nonieth
184141.  Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:34 pm Reply with quote

bluemidget wrote:
Fry is named Phillip as a tribute to Phil Hartman

His original name was going to be Travis.

There's also a lot of "nerd" jokes in Futurama, which are great fun to people who know what they are. For example:

(At a horse race)
Announcer: (on loudspeaker) And it's a dead heat! They're checking the electron microscope. And the winner is ... (A man holds up a "3" in a window) ... number 3, in a quantum finish.

Farnsworth: No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it.

[Luck of the Fryrish]

There are also a number of jokes in the background - separated P and NP bins for the benefit of the computer scientists, a cinema plex branded 'Loew's -plex (aleph-null) and "Hg's Fuel" - a petrol station on Mercury.
In addition to all the geek jokes, as CB27 said, there are a lot of homages to old films, naturally mostly from the Sci-Fi genre (exact copies of the Death Star missile run for example, or a ship's computer very similar in design and ultimate mentality to HAL) but also from other areas - there is an episode called "The Cyber House Rules."

In case you hadn't guessed, I love Futurama ;)

Ian Dunn
236274.  Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:59 pm Reply with quote

Here's is something I've only just discovered.

The original Futurama was a ride in the 1939-1940 New York World's Fair, whose tagline was, "The world of tomorrow." People qued for hours to visit it. The ride was sponsered by General Motors, and showed what life could by like in 1960. However, due to the sponsers, the focus of the ride was on transport.

The two main features of the ride were the promise of personal car ownership (which appealed to people after the Great Depression) and a grand vision of the future. The ride lead to impacts on art and design in sci-fi films, forward-looking marketing campaigns and the use of the suffex "-arama".

When New York hosted the World's Fair again in 1964-65, there was a second ride, "Futurama II", which was set much further into the future.

Story from Wired

Southpaw
236626.  Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:15 am Reply with quote

Interesting stuff, Ian.

My favourite lines from Futurama, and there are many, include:

"YOU WATCHED IT, YOU CAN'T UNWATCH IT!"

"#Nobody doesn't like, molten boron!#"

and something I'm dying to work into a conversation:

Fry: Where's your bathroom?
Bender: What-room?
Fry: Bathroom!
Bender: Bath-what?
Fry: Bathroom!
Bender: What-what?

BonzaiRob
236857.  Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:43 pm Reply with quote

I love all the computer and maths jokes in Futurama... for instace, Bender drinks a beer called Ye Olde Fortran[/ur], Bender has nightmares about the number '2' (after a life of 0 and 1, wouldn't it blow your mind?), [url=http://plus.maths.org/issue26/features/mathart/index-gifd.html]Klein beer is sold on shelves...

thegrandwazoo
246702.  Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:10 am Reply with quote

A piece of Futurama trivia,possibly true, possibly not, Groening was inspired to write the show by Incredible String Bands song Robot Blues.

Poncho
250640.  Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:35 pm Reply with quote

The Klein Beer gag is still one of my favourites.

In the episode "Mars University", when Prof. Farnsworth is lecturing "Superdupersymmetric String Theory", he has a picture of a dog called "Witten's Dog" on the blackboard, in homage to Ed Witten and Schrodinger's Cat.

Behn
251114.  Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:09 pm Reply with quote

An amazing fact from the DVD commentaries:
During an episode that featured throat singing, Matt Groening claims that he introduced Frank Zappa to Tuvan Throat Singing.

On the topic of favourite lines, I'm afraid nothing beats the simplicity of the robot prayer:

10 Sin
20 Goto Hell

ivor
251155.  Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:41 pm Reply with quote

Behn wrote:
During an episode that featured throat singing, Matt Groening claims that he introduced Frank Zappa to Tuvan Throat Singing.

Just in passing on that subject if you fancy sampling a spot of Tuvan Throat Singing i can heartily recommend Huun-Huur-Tu, been to the concert and bought the CD. Strictly awesome, and strangely available on Amazon! End of ad.

And of course yes, Futurama is the best...

CB27
251173.  Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:14 pm Reply with quote

Surely just introducing himself could be harmful to his throat singing talents?

Poncho
251248.  Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:01 pm Reply with quote

Behn wrote:
On the topic of favourite lines, I'm afraid nothing beats the simplicity of the robot prayer:

10 Sin
20 Goto Hell

Or:

10 Home
20 Sweet
30 Goto 10

ivor
251539.  Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:54 pm Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
Surely just introducing himself could be harmful to his throat singing talents?

In fact he is a they. But you're dead right, i've said it several times now and my throat singing is completely non-existent

Behn
251596.  Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:11 pm Reply with quote

Poncho wrote:
Behn wrote:

10 Sin
20 Goto Hell

Or:

10 Home
20 Sweet
30 Goto 10

Now, I don't like that one because I was taught Sinclair BASIC (then later BBC Basic, then Visual Basic, then VB.net and VBScript, but I'm moving away from the point) so I read that as 'Home Sweet Home Sweet (recurring) due to the linear nature of the language.
I would program it as:

Dim blnCancel
blnCancel = false

10 Home
20 Sweet
If blnCancel = false then
blnCancel = 2
GoTo 10
End if

Note: that is how I would program it, so it might be different to the more recommended script

On the subject of Futurama, let us not forget that every parallel universe occurs within it's own box (despite series one pointing out there are only 2 universes, theirs and the one where everyone is a cowboy!)

Nonieth
252564.  Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:24 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
(despite series one pointing out there are only 2 universes, theirs and the one where everyone is a cowboy!)

That's production season 3 episode 15, sorry :P

Behn
252831.  Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:38 pm Reply with quote

Nonieth wrote:
Quote:
(despite series one pointing out there are only 2 universes, theirs and the one where everyone is a cowboy!)

That's production season 3 episode 15, sorry :P

I stand corrected.
But what am I to do with a basement full of Benders?

soup
252838.  Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:52 pm Reply with quote

Re your sig Behn.
I had a life size print out of a nude girl she was entirely in ASCII and the printout was on that green and white lined computer paper.

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next