View previous topic | View next topic

Ford Motor Company (USA)

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

austinallegro
174874.  Wed May 16, 2007 6:46 am Reply with quote

The Ford Motor Company, started life in a converted factory with aloan of $28,000 from 12 investors. During those first few years, Ford began producing the first succesful production car, the Model T, which as we all know, can be in more colours than black. The first of these iconic cars were made at the Piquette Manufacturing plant, later moving on to the much larger Highland assembly plant. Ford's revolutionary techniques meant that cars could be quickly and efficinetly put together on assembly with as little hassle as possible, Ford also introduced the idea of brand specific dealer-ships, and the rest as they say is history. This early succes continued until Edsel Ford took control of the business in 1919 where it lost customers due to old-fashioned management system, and no upmarket vehicles.
Ford responded to this by eventually relenting this attitude and by building in the new Ford Model A and stopped prodution of the Model T.
Ford recahed into the upmarket and mid-range area by starting off a number of brands such as Lincoln and Mercury.
During WW2, production was switched from cars to production of the B24 Liberator bomber, despite reservations on the part of the pacifist Henry Ford, Edsel Ford, his son, under great stress of running the production facility died in 1943.
Throughout the Fifties and Sixties, Ford had a endless stream of succesful cars with the Thunderbird, the Mustang (fastest selling production car of all time) and the Falcon. However this success was not matched with the Edsel, one of the worst cars of all time (see my thread on this in the E forum).
In the Seventies Ford focused on two things, pony and muscle cars such as the Ford Ranchero and smaller comapct cars such as the Pinto, unfortunately the huge scandal involving this car meant that stupid designers had placed the fuel tank directly in front of the rear bumper, so in the event of a rear collision the nuts holding the rear bumper pressed into the fuel tank, puncturing it, and sometimes resulting in fires and explosions. 27 people died in this way. Ford designed instead of paying out the $11 needed to repair the cars to make them safe, they decided it would be cheaper to pay out the possible lawsuits instead.
Throughout the Eighties and Nineties succesful cars such as the ford Taurus were sold, the fourth best selling in all of Ford's History.
Today Ford now encompasses many global brands such as Jaguar, Land Rover, Volvo and a one-third interest in Mazda.

Norfolkian
174883.  Wed May 16, 2007 7:09 am Reply with quote

They also own Jaguar's sister company Aston Martin.

The Aston Martin DB5 is currently last on the <i>Top Gear</i> power laps board.

Obviously I just lied because I just found out that Ford sold Aston Martin earlier this year: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6442101.stm

Klaxon for me!

jimmyc99
175102.  Wed May 16, 2007 2:27 pm Reply with quote

...but they still own a stake in Aston...

Sergei
175154.  Wed May 16, 2007 5:09 pm Reply with quote

It's worth mentioning too that in his later years Henry Ford became virulently antisemitic, and was much admired by Hitler.

legspin
175187.  Wed May 16, 2007 7:59 pm Reply with quote

Norfolkian wrote:

Surely it was Jag's sister company because they owned the two of them?

Norfolkian
175211.  Thu May 17, 2007 3:26 am Reply with quote

legspin wrote:
Norfolkian wrote:

Surely it was Jag's sister company because they owned the two of them?

More than likely. Unless they have some other connection...

Sergei
175224.  Thu May 17, 2007 4:03 am Reply with quote

That's right. The companies were entirely separate until Ford became involved in both.

djgordy
195706.  Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:53 am Reply with quote

A letter (supposedly) written to Henry Ford by Clyde Barrow (of Bonnie and Clyde fame) in 1934.

Tulsa Okla
10th April
Mr. Henry Ford
Detroit Mich

Dear Sir: -

While I still have got breath in my lungs I will tell you what a dandy car you make. I have drove Fords exclusively when I could get away with one. For sustained speed and freedom from trouble the Ford has got every other car skinned and even if my business hasen't been strictly legal it don't hurt any thing to tell you what a fine car you got in the V8 -

Yours truly,
Clyde Champion Barrow

http://texashideout.tripod.com/fordletter.html

Mukatsuku
917825.  Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote

Hi,
I had to resurrect this to ask a question. QI stated that Ford originally produced the Model T in many colours and never said that you could have it in any colour as long as it's black. Additional to this, the Henry Ford Museum website also states there is no evidence for him saying this.

So, is this autobiography on Project Gutenberg a fake one?
My Life And Work, by Henry Ford

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/7213

Quote:
Therefore in 1909 I announced one morning, without any previous warning, that in the future we were going to build only one model, that the model was going to be "Model T," and that the chassis would be exactly the same for all cars, and I remarked:

"Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants so long as it is black."

If this book is his real autobiography, then surely QI was wrong about this but, more strangely, so is the Henry Ford Museum!

It seems genuine to me and is also available on Google Books with the same passage
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=bUbdMRx43JgC&q=black#v=snippet&q=black&f=false

Can anyone verify this?

CB27
917831.  Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:02 pm Reply with quote

I seem to remember there was a quibble previously about this, though I can't find it. The only thing I can think of is that Ford was a notorious self publicist and that's why he put it in the book.

The truth is that when Model Ts first came out they were available in a number of colours, but not black, and it was only after 5 years that they decided to paint them all black to save on money (it dried quicker), and after a few years they started painting them in other colours again. During the time that they were all painted black, there is no record of Ford making this famous claim, it was recorded later in his book.

bond92
920619.  Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:10 pm Reply with quote

Great information and everyone should read it.

CB27
920639.  Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:56 pm Reply with quote

Thanks, I thought it was a pretty decent post, nice to see others appreciating it :)

Spud McLaren
920762.  Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:13 pm Reply with quote

Re: post 19570 -

Six weeks before the couple was ambushed, a letter purportedly written by Barrow arrived at the office of Henry Ford praising his "dandy car." Although the handwriting does not match known samples of Clyde's penmanship, and despite the fact the letter was signed by "Clyde Champion Barrow" while Barrow's middle name was Chestnut, the unauthenticated letter is on display in the Ford Museum. It was never used in any form in Ford advertising, nor was a similar letter Ford received around the same time that was presumed to have come from Dillinger, himself ambushed just two months after Barrow.

- Wiki

Walterst
1180482.  Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:07 pm Reply with quote

Can someone please take a pic of their motor I need to see where the plugs goon the left side of the intake manifold on top

Alfred E Neuman
1180524.  Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:53 am Reply with quote

You'll probably get better results in a Ford forum, and you'll certainly need to specify a model.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next