View previous topic | View next topic

Football

Page 3 of 18
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Lumpo31
178097.  Sat May 26, 2007 2:03 am Reply with quote

soup wrote:
djgordy wrote:

Klaxons for everyone when they say that "soccer" is an American word.

Corruption of "assosciation" isn't it?

Assosciation -> Assoc-> Socca-> Soccer.

Or is that urban myth and I deserve klaxoning

Besides which, it's called soccer in places other than the US. Australia calls it soccer, mostly because we call other types "footy" (depending on what state you come from - in Queensland and New South Wales, "footy" means Rugby League, and in the rest of the country it means Australian Rules).

What's the difference between Rugby League and Rugby Union anyway?

Lisa

AlmondFacialBar
178207.  Sat May 26, 2007 4:14 pm Reply with quote

over here it's mostly called soccer to distinguish it from gaelic, the more popular kind of football.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

96aelw
178214.  Sat May 26, 2007 4:33 pm Reply with quote

Lumpo31 wrote:
What's the difference between Rugby League and Rugby Union anyway?

Quite a lot.

96aelw
178218.  Sat May 26, 2007 4:45 pm Reply with quote

More specifically, League has 13 players per team to Union's 15, and the scoring is different (a try is 4 points in League and 5 in Union, a drop goal is worth 1 and 3 points respectively, and penalties 2 and 3; conversions are worth two in both). They (League) have scrums instead of line outs when the ball goes off the pitch, but never seem to bother pushing in scrums. The major difference, however, is to do with what happens when somebody gets tackled, which is explained here significantly better than any explanation I might offer.

suze
178226.  Sat May 26, 2007 6:54 pm Reply with quote

Thanks 96aelw, that explained a few things that I'd never really understood. One thing that I spotted though - that article claims that blocking (i.e. knocking over a guy who doesn't have the ball, in order to prevent him becoming involved in the play) is forbidden in both games. Is this incorrect as regards rugby league, or is the refereeing of that game as hopeless as my husband is alleging?

Another difference is that England doesn't get beaten out of sight if it plays South Africa at rugby league.

costean
178384.  Sun May 27, 2007 5:09 pm Reply with quote

Blocking, as in American Football style tackling of a man without the ball, is strictly prohibited under both codes. It sometimes does happen accidentally and would result in a penalty. If the referee suspected that it was done on purpose then it would result in an ‘early bath’ for the player concerned.

The player with the ball is fair game and as such expects to be tackled. Players without the ball do not expect to be tackled and such actions really could very dangerous. In general it just does not happen; the only exception being a ‘late tackle’ when a player is tackled just after having passed or kicked the ball. Penalties ensue for late tackles and sendings-off if they are particularly late.

Running between the man with the ball and the opposing defenders is more obstruction than anything but it is sometimes referred to as blocking. It happens from time to time but is almost always accidental; another penalty offence.

Running into one of your own men while carrying the ball is reasonably common, is never done on purpose and is known as accidental offside; scrum down opposition ball.

Incidentally American Football style tackling ie body-checking or just diving at a player’s legs with no use of the arms is strictly prohibited under both codes. In Rugby a player must be tackled and brought to the ground using the arms. Again penalties, ‘early baths’ etc.

suze wrote:
Another difference is that England doesn't get beaten out of sight if it plays South Africa at rugby league.

Hmm… The less said about this the better, I think.

suze
178387.  Sun May 27, 2007 5:17 pm Reply with quote

Fair enough costean. I'll confess to having been slightly full of intoxicating liquor when I posted before, but the basic point I was making stands - from the fairly small amount of rugby league that I've seen, enforcing of the rules doesn't seems to be as strict as in the other sports mentioned.

And yes, OK, I now understand that there were various reasons why England played South Africa with a horribly understrength team. So it shouldn't really be taken to reflect on the standard of the English team so much as on whoever agreed to play an international fixture in such circumstances.

costean
178391.  Sun May 27, 2007 5:29 pm Reply with quote

From the small amount I have seen (and not having actually played rugby league) I would agree that at times it seems a little chaotic with perhaps some elastic interpretations of the rules; but they seem happy with it.

I don't think too much should be read into the South Africa results. Anyway I shall be concentrating on the cricket....

samivel
178403.  Sun May 27, 2007 6:29 pm Reply with quote

Weather permitting, obviously.

dr.bob
178444.  Mon May 28, 2007 4:50 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Fwiw, the possible teams would be Luton Town, Notts County and West Ham United.

Anyone who can find anything QI to say about any or all of those three clubs deserves a prize.

Notts County is the oldest professional football club in the world and they play in black and white striped shirts. Exactly the same kit as Juventus. This is not a coincidence.

Originally Juve used to play in pink jerseys. Unfortunately the quality of the garment was poor and the colour constantly faded in the wash. In frustration the powers the be within Juventus asked English player John Savage, who was playing for Juve at the time, if he had any contacts back in old Blighty who might be able to furnish them with a better quality kit. Savage contacted a friend of his who lived in Nottingham and was a Notts County supporter. He arranged for a shipment of Notts County outfits to be shipped over to Turin and Juventus have played in black and white stripes ever since.

Notts County currently play in league division two but, when they're playing particularly well, the fans are known to chant "It's like watching Juve!"

What's my prize?

suze
178450.  Mon May 28, 2007 5:28 am Reply with quote

I said that you would deserve one, not that you would get one...

But seeing as how it's you, have a plaudit or two (or several, since I can't find anything more interesting about Luton Town than the fact that Monty Panesar supports them).

96aelw
178477.  Mon May 28, 2007 9:02 am Reply with quote

Luton versus Middlesbrough

Five whole goals to Luton Town
and Middlesbrough not one,
but though their team was five-nil down
their fans were up for fun
and when their consolation came
before the whistle blew
they echoed Luton's 'we want six'
with a modest 'we want two'.

John Hegley.

96aelw
178479.  Mon May 28, 2007 9:16 am Reply with quote

In an attempt to be interesting about Luton, I can offer the fact that Joe Payne scored 10 goals in the course of Luton's 12-0 defeat of Bristol Rovers on 14th April 1936, which is still the English record for most goals scored by a single player in a league match, as claimed on wiki and here. Not fascinating, perhaps, but it's a start.

dr.bob
178485.  Mon May 28, 2007 10:27 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
I said that you would deserve one, not that you would get one...

Bah, curses! Foiled again by your pedantic use of language!

(hmm, somehow I can't see that line being used in a James Bond movie)

suze wrote:
But seeing as how it's you, have a plaudit or two

Gee, thanks. Are plaudits like Green Shield stamps? Can I save them up and get a set of tumblers?

Oh, and since we've covered Notts County, and others have spoken of Luton Town, I'll just mention before I go that West Ham United were the winners of the first War Cup in 1940. The War Cup was not, as it sounds, an award for who could have the best war, but rather an English football tournament held between 1939 and 1945. In June 1940, West Ham United beat Blackburn Rovers 1-0 at Wembley stadium.

And, since Blackpool are in the news today after their promotion, I'll just point out that they won the 4th War Cup in 1943. This was the first year that the competition was split into two: a northern competition and a southern one. The winners of each competition then met in the final at Wembley. Blackpool were the Northern winners, beating Sheffield Wednesday 2-1 on the replay (first try was a 2-2 draw), while the southern winners were Arsenal after their 7-1 thrashing of Charlton Athletic. In the final, Blackpool beat Arsenal 4-2.

djgordy
178494.  Mon May 28, 2007 11:52 am Reply with quote

DERBY COUNTY 1 - West Bromwich Albion 0

This means that Derby County will be in the Premier League next season and Snottingham Forest will still be in League 1.

Page 3 of 18
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next