View previous topic | View next topic

Football

Page 15 of 18
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

barbados
336590.  Thu May 15, 2008 1:07 am Reply with quote

I can only explain the turnaround at Fulham.
Last season(06/07) the manager through the season had lost the ability to inspire, possibly because of issues off the pitch, possibly because he had previously been a team mate of everyone and becoming the manager perhaps the players had thought they could get away with shirking, the manager got the sack and a new manager was bought in, one that had experience of motivating a team to win a couple of games a season. He used the tournament style of motivation of ensuring first of all you don't lose then use the most direct way to get the ball up the other end of the pitch, which is fine when you have a striker that is tall. The cracks began to appear in this season (07/08) when the Brian McBride got injured and the manager still tried to get the team to punt the ball forward, this time to possibly one of the shortest strikers in the country. When the Manager got the sack he was replaced by someone who is probably the most successful English manager working today. With 4 months left of the season he had a bit of a chance to actually allow his team to play their way out of trouble, that needed the players to learn to believe in their quality. It was unfortunate that each time the team had won a game they would then go to Manchester United, or Arsenal and lose knocking the teams confidence. The manager throughout that time remained outwardly confident that the team had the ability. At the end of the season with the way things were the team had the best run in with Reading and Birmingham losing the ability to score goals (except the last day) and having to play the team that was below them, although was becoming more confident.

At Fulham then, it was down to the manager's motivational skills

djgordy
336600.  Thu May 15, 2008 2:34 am Reply with quote

Davini994 wrote:
It's interesting how teams can do so well at the end of the season when they need to. I remember Everton and Bradford doing it too not so long ago.

If they'd played like this all year they'd be in the Champions league!

But they didn't play like that all year, which is why they're not in the Champions League and the teams that did play like that all year are.

Sadurian Mike
341356.  Wed May 21, 2008 4:57 pm Reply with quote

Well, the match is a tie but United lift the trophy....

God, I feel for poor old John Terry. Not enough to wish they had won, but the poor bloke looks like he never wants to play again.

Davini994
341361.  Wed May 21, 2008 5:06 pm Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
But they didn't play like that all year, which is why they're not in the Champions League and the teams that did play like that all year are.

no1 school swot wrote:
*feels brain being nourished*

;)

Blackpool Rule
343718.  Sat May 24, 2008 7:42 am Reply with quote

Ian Dunn wrote:
djgordy wrote:
Some people have, cruelly , decided that Derby County are the worst team ever. After all, their tally for the 2007/08 season is:

Played - 38
Won - 1
Drawn - 8
Lost - 29
Goals For - 20
Goals Against - 89.
Points - 11

OK, yes this is the worst record in the Premier League but Rams fans need not despair. They merely have to go back to the 1999/200 season to find a worse team . They were......

......oh, hold on. I mean "go back to the 1899/1900 season to find a worse team". I give you,

Loughborough Athletic and Football Club.

Played - 34
Won - 1
Drawn - 6
Lost - 27
Goals For - 18
Goals Against 100
Points - 8

In that season, Derby County came 6th in Division 1 whilst Manchester United were still called Newton Heath and only came 4th in Division 2.

Is that technically accurate, because Loughborough played less games than Derby. They might have won the other four if they the extra games.

Derby are the worst team in the premier division because the premier divsion started in 1992 which makes Loughborough Athletic the worst team in in divison 1 ever

Blackpool Rule
343720.  Sat May 24, 2008 7:45 am Reply with quote

did you know that the rules of promotion and religation use to be on the basis on that some peaple decide who deserves to be promted and religated

Davini994
343754.  Sat May 24, 2008 8:47 am Reply with quote

Hull and Bristol City are playing today for the right to be bottom of the Premier League next year.

Leeds United are only 9-1 to get promotion to the Premier League next year, if memory of yesterday's Guardian serves.

samivel
344112.  Sat May 24, 2008 6:16 pm Reply with quote

Hey, don't forget Stoke, they're in with a shout, too.

:)

Sadurian Mike
344132.  Sat May 24, 2008 6:25 pm Reply with quote

I am rooting for Bristol City because of local bias; it would be nice to see a West Country team in the Premiership.

djgordy
344152.  Sat May 24, 2008 6:33 pm Reply with quote

That's a shame because the final score was Bristol City - 0 Hull City - 1.

Given the identity of Hull's best known resident these days, I wonder if the cry will go up next season: "who threw up all the pies?".

From the point of view of league success, Bristol would be much better off if City and Rovers were amalgamated into one club. The same goes for a couple of other cities; notably Sheffield but also Nottingham.

samivel
344155.  Sat May 24, 2008 6:34 pm Reply with quote

I can't see many supporters of those clubs going for it, though.

Sadurian Mike
344166.  Sat May 24, 2008 6:38 pm Reply with quote

Me neither.

Maybe Sir Alex should have a word with Sven.

samivel
344253.  Sat May 24, 2008 7:06 pm Reply with quote

He'd probably need to be pretty quick about it.

Sadurian Mike
344281.  Sat May 24, 2008 7:18 pm Reply with quote

True. I think perhaps City ought to start wondering if their problem isn't actually the manager.

Davini994
344324.  Sat May 24, 2008 7:58 pm Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
From the point of view of league success, Bristol would be much better off if City and Rovers were amalgamated into one club. The same goes for a couple of other cities; notably Sheffield but also Nottingham.

I refer the right honourable gentlemen to the attempts to do just that in Rugby League. Didn't go down too well. Didn't, in fact, happen. I'd say that the negative effects of the attempts are still felt in certain spots too.

Merging teams really would be the nail in the coffin of any point supporting a team AFAIK.

Page 15 of 18
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next