View previous topic | View next topic

Furry genre and fandom

Page 6 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Ian Dunn
376297.  Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:51 pm Reply with quote

Of course.

By the way feynman, interesting to know they doing furmeets in Sheffield. Sadly, I'm not aware of any in my part of the world (Teesside).

RLDavies
392686.  Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:12 am Reply with quote

A big misconception about furries is that furry-ness is strictly a sexual perversion. (Using "perversion" in its strict sense of anything deviating from the norm.) For a few it is, for others it definitely isn't.

A lot of furries simply want to get away from the complexities of the human condition into a simpler and more straightforward life, even if it is only for the duration of a role-playing session. This is not really any different from playing Dungeons and Dragons, for instance, and pretending to be a wizard or warrior for hours on end.

Some furries are deliberately seeking to be non-sexual, to return to the innocence of childhood, where people can be friendly and companionable without any sexual overtones. These tend to prefer small, inoffensive animals (mice, rabbits) and be drawn to the more cartoonish or storybook kind of character. "Soft paw" or "cub" furries specifically like to role-play an immature animal character.

Not all furries are attracted by anthropomorphic characters. Many prefer to see themselves as realistic, natural wild animals. These are described as "ferals", in contrast to "anthros", and tend to prefer larger, fiercer creatures such as big cats and wolves.

The range of species popular among furries is surprisingly limited, thanks to human psychology. The majority have a character from somewhere on this list, or something very close: big cat, wolf or fox, domestic dog or cat, mouse, rabbit, mustelid (ferret, weasel, skunk), horse, dragon, bird of prey.

And no, I'm not a furry myself, although I do have a few leanings in that direction.

Roboshi
402344.  Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:47 pm Reply with quote

I just find it strange that the Furries have been designated as the punching bag for weird things. Many people treating them with distain when the internet is full of so many stranger people and so many more aggressive and harmful things.

Surely the Nazi fetishists are more worthy targets for abuse. And I'm sure many people who attack the Furry comunity probably have a few dark desires of their own.

Before you ask I am not one of them, but being a member of many forums before this one, I've met quite a few and they act as anyone would with a sexual or personal preference. They're all perfectly normal people, infact the only indication of their furryness is the fact that they draw animals alot (in the video game community this is alot more usual, and a furry will remain hidden very well).

Ian Dunn
451507.  Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:32 am Reply with quote

I have just found something that will of interest to all QI fans.

ConFuzzled, a furry convention held in Manchester is to do a tribute to QI. At next year's convention, they are doing something called "Fi - Furry Interesting".

Source

Dead Fat Elvis
454678.  Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:56 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
I just find it strange that the Furries have been designated as the punching bag for weird things. Many people treating them with distain when the internet is full of so many stranger people and so many more aggressive and harmful things

speaking as someone of alternative lifestyle choices

I think its largely none threatening, therefore easily acceptable in Vanilla conversation.

I believe its this that makes it a target as it doesnt sum up challenging imagary and is therefore an easy topic for fun poking. The more extreme things out there are a bit too dark and challenging for most folk to comment on or find fun in.

This is something that folk can comment on whilst feeling "edgy" but without causing any offence.(offence to peers not to furries)

Sadurian Mike
456205.  Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:13 am Reply with quote

That's quite possible, Elvis.

I wonder how much of it is simply down to people dressed as giant blue foxes or pink cats just looking rather funny in the first place, without actually getting into the fetish/genre itself.

The adult baby brigade probably have the same problem.

Ian Dunn
504392.  Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:06 am Reply with quote

For any furries north of the border you may be reading this, there is good news. There are plans to create a furry convention in Scotland. It is proposed to be held in Edinburgh in April 2010.

Source.

Vatnos
930314.  Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:35 pm Reply with quote

Sergei wrote:
*Wonders how many of those bisexuals are actually having sex with anybody*

I'm tempted to answer this, as a bisexual furry (who is male). I'm pretty sure most are. There is an effect where it's much easier to pick up other guys in the fandom, just because of our shared interests, than it is to pick up girls in general, so the M:F ratio of my dates has become a bit... lopsided. I've dated and slept with women over the years, but I've dated twice as many guys and I've slept with more of them as well, even though my attraction to women is equally strong, and I actually somewhat regret not pursuing the ladies more vigorously to even it out.

I feel a bit guilty about posting in a thread that's 3 years old, but it's still on the first page, so I guess it could be fair game still.

There is this perception that furries are a bunch of socially inept, desperate geeks. I'd say that is true to some extent, but no moreso than any other niche community. Just look at anime geeks; similar type of deal. Many of us have pretty good social lives outside the fandom too. Unfortunately the most socially inept ones are going to be the ones that people remember.

Jenny
930317.  Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:43 pm Reply with quote

Welcome Vatnos :-)

'yorz
930376.  Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:59 pm Reply with quote

Hi, Vatnos. Elucidating post, that.

Page 6 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6