View previous topic | View next topic

Furry genre and fandom

Page 4 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Ian Dunn
270852.  Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:59 pm Reply with quote

CactusFlower wrote:
I'll remain happily mundane; does that make me part of a minority?

I'm not sure. If the majority are parts of several minority groups, then you could argue that people who do not for parts of these groups would themselves be a minority.

Philder
272360.  Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:12 pm Reply with quote

There are a lot of misconceptions about furry, but in amongst it there are some truths as well. I don't know anyone who uses suiting for sexual purposes...would you risk despoiling a 1000+ custom made outfit with bodily fluids?!

I have other kinks that ARE sexual, but furry isn't one of them. I do it for the friends I've made and the fun I have. I don't expect everyone to understand it, but for me it's a chance to do something FUN in an otherwise depressingly serious World. The economy is going down the drain, as is the planet, so why not just pop on a tail and some paws and go for a stroll round central London amusing the tourists and making people smile?! Your imagination doesn't suddenly get switched off when you become an adult.

Ian Dunn
272402.  Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:58 am Reply with quote

Philder wrote:
There are a lot of misconceptions about furry, but in amongst it there are some truths as well. I don't know anyone who uses suiting for sexual purposes...would you risk despoiling a 1000+ custom made outfit with bodily fluids?!

You could always wear a condom. Maybe a chastity device and take part in some BDSM role-play.

ficklefiend
288809.  Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:57 pm Reply with quote

I really hope furries make the f series. I think the world needs to know.

mikeyfone
288829.  Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:36 pm Reply with quote

feynmanMH42 wrote:
I don't dress as a furry in public (okay, I've had lemur ears on once, but that was for a photo :P) and I still get "fursecuted" against on the web. People associate furry with yiff, and assume we're all weird kinky perverts who like to have sex with plushies and animals, or people who haven't grown up and still watch childrens' cartoons, or worse, people who yiff and watch childrens' cartoons at the same time.

Very few furries are actually furry outside of the internet, furry conventions or furry gatherings. Most of us keep our furreality hidden from mundanes.

Please could this post be satirical. "Furreality", "fursecuted"! Sounds like smurf talk to me.

Ian Dunn
288832.  Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:40 pm Reply with quote

mikeyfone wrote:
feynmanMH42 wrote:
I don't dress as a furry in public (okay, I've had lemur ears on once, but that was for a photo :P) and I still get "fursecuted" against on the web. People associate furry with yiff, and assume we're all weird kinky perverts who like to have sex with plushies and animals, or people who haven't grown up and still watch childrens' cartoons, or worse, people who yiff and watch childrens' cartoons at the same time.

Very few furries are actually furry outside of the internet, furry conventions or furry gatherings. Most of us keep our furreality hidden from mundanes.

Please could this post be satirical. "Furreality", "fursecuted"! Sounds like smurf talk to me.

No, those are normal examples for furry slang (although I suspect that "Furreality" is missing a space).

mikeyfone
288839.  Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:45 pm Reply with quote

Ah, how easy it is to take the piss out of people different from me. The terms do sound a bit childish to me though.

Well, each to his own.

Sadurian Mike
288851.  Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:55 pm Reply with quote

Ian Dunn wrote:
No, those are normal examples for furry slang (although I suspect that "Furreality" is missing a space).

Hmmm. To my eyes that's not all it's missing.

Ian Dunn
288856.  Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:57 pm Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:
Ian Dunn wrote:

Hmmm. To my eyes that's not all it's missing.

Well, maybe I'm wrong.

Oliver Keane
309491.  Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:43 pm Reply with quote

Oh dear.

Yes furries et al could be a viable topic for the F series, but I honestly don't think that's a reason to bollock on about "fursecution" on yet another forum. We do that enough anyway, shall we not enhance our reputation as whiny gits any more than it already has been.

My main point is that furries are not, in all honesty, interesting enough for QI. We're a bunch of geeks who like anthropomorphic animals in a variety of different formats, there's nothing too interesting about that, much as we may like to think there is.

Ian Dunn
309532.  Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:54 am Reply with quote

Oliver Keane wrote:
Oh dear.

Yes furries et al could be a viable topic for the F series, but I honestly don't think that's a reason to bollock on about "fursecution" on yet another forum. We do that enough anyway, shall we not enhance our reputation as whiny gits any more than it already has been.

My main point is that furries are not, in all honesty, interesting enough for QI. We're a bunch of geeks who like anthropomorphic animals in a variety of different formats, there's nothing too interesting about that, much as we may like to think there is.

What are you talking about - "Not, in all honesty, interesting enough for QI." Remember the QI philosophy: "It's all Quite Interesting if you look at it in the right way."

I think that just about anything is able to get on QI if it's quite interesting. As long as it begins with "F", it should have a chance of making it onto the show, or at least in the annual.

Ian Dunn
339157.  Mon May 19, 2008 1:44 am Reply with quote

This years winners of the "Ursa Major Awards" have been nominated. These are the biggest awards in the furry fandom. This year's winners were:

* Best Anthropomorphic Motion Picture - Ratatouille (Producer: Pixar Animation Studios and Walt Disney Pictures; Distributor: Buena Vista Pictures; June 29)
* Best Anthropomorphic Dramatic Short Work or Series - "Gridlock (Doctor Who episode)" (BBC1; series 3, episode 3, April 14)
* Best Anthropomorphic Novel - Life's Dream by Bernard Doove. (CreateSpace, December 18)
* Best Anthropomorphic Short Fiction - "Don't Blink" by Kyell Gold (in Heat #4, Sofawolf Press, July)
* Best Anthropomorphic Other Literary Work - All the Newshounds Fit to Print by Thomas K. Dye (Plan Nine Publishing, March, comic strip collection, Volume 1)
* Best Anthropomorphic Comic Book - Gargoyles by Greg Weisman, Gordon Purcell, Dustin Evans, and Greg Guler. (Slave Labor Graphics, issues #4 to #6)
* Best Anthropomorphic Comic Strip - Ozy and Millie by D.C. Simpson. (Internet strips from January 1 to December 31)
* Best Anthropomorphic Magazine - Heat (#4, July)
* Best Anthropomorphic Published Illustration - "Blotch", cover of Fur Affinity United Convention Souvenir Book (Fur Affinity United!, July.)
* Best Anthropomorphic Game - Sam & Max: Season Two, Episode 1: Ice Station Santa (Developer Clover Studios, publisher Capcom, September 19)

http://www.ursamajorawards.org/UMA_2007.htm

Sadurian Mike
339255.  Mon May 19, 2008 4:45 am Reply with quote

Ian Dunn wrote:
These are the biggest awards in the furry fandom.

Is there anything I can say that would make this sentence funnier?

Ian Dunn
340225.  Tue May 20, 2008 11:24 am Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:
Ian Dunn wrote:
These are the biggest awards in the furry fandom.

Is there anything I can say that would make this sentence funnier?

Probably...

Tas
340587.  Tue May 20, 2008 5:59 pm Reply with quote

Sounds like it should be a 'Furry Carlsberg' advert (Furlsberg?)

:-)

Tas

Page 4 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next