View previous topic | View next topic

Furry genre and fandom

Page 3 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Sobriquet
259343.  Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:37 pm Reply with quote

Ian Dunn wrote:
Here's some quite interesting, and quite bizarre.

Furries Vs Klingons - at Bowling

I'm sorry, no offense to anyone out there (though I have to admit the whole concept of "furries" is a bit weird to me) but that is the most ridiculous thing I've seen in quite a long time.

feynmanMH42
259591.  Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:16 am Reply with quote

Sobriquet wrote:
Ian Dunn wrote:
Here's some quite interesting, and quite bizarre.

Furries Vs Klingons - at Bowling

I'm sorry, no offense to anyone out there (though I have to admit the whole concept of "furries" is a bit weird to me) but that is the most ridiculous thing I've seen in quite a long time.

I can't even begin to describe why "Furries vs. Klingons" is so awesome. It just... is.

On the topic of furry being weird, some people just swing that way. Stamp collecting and cosplaying are weird and nerdy, but normal-ish, right? I don't see why furry's any different.

Or should that be yifferent?

dr.bob
259674.  Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:49 am Reply with quote

Different strokes* for different folks. As long as nobody's being harmed...

As for the "most ridiculous thing I've seen in quite a long time", for me that's got to go to this fine example of humanity recently provided by Jenny.

*No pun intended (much)

Fontanelle
259683.  Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:57 am Reply with quote

Oh, Ouch.

Ian Dunn
259687.  Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:02 am Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
Different strokes* for different folks. As long as nobody's being harmed...

As for the "most ridiculous thing I've seen in quite a long time", for me that's got to go to this fine example of humanity recently provided by Jenny.

*No pun intended (much)

That was just painful to watch. What is more, they seemed to be playing for charity. I'm guessing that she is some sort of celebrity in the US. Who was she?

Fontanelle
259689.  Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:05 am Reply with quote

A former American Idol contestant.

Ian Dunn
259706.  Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:18 am Reply with quote

Fontanelle wrote:
A former American Idol contestant.

Right...well that would explain her shear idiocy.

Tas
259755.  Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:25 am Reply with quote

Being American or being a former Song Contest contestant?

:-)

Tas

Ian Dunn
259811.  Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:09 pm Reply with quote

Tas wrote:

Tas

Just anything to do with reality TV really annoys me. Then again, I am a media student.

Sobriquet
259947.  Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:40 pm Reply with quote

Tas wrote:

Tas

I'm ashamed for my country. I apoligize on behalf of all Americans with an I.Q. over 80. We're not all idiots, I swear!

Sadurian Mike
259988.  Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:41 pm Reply with quote

Well, I've known about furries for a while now and still can't help but shake my head each time.

The problem is not that they do what they do, we all have our own little kinks and strange habits, but that they do it in public and then get offended when people pass comment.

I would never for a moment suggest that dressing in a pink velour rabbit suit and getting it on with a yellow faux-fur squirrel should be banned or punished. However, neither would I suggest that people should pretend that it is not going to attract strange looks and (possibly) negative comment.

Either shrug off the comments or keep it to yourselves, because I think most people are going to find you very strange*.

*I say this as someone whose own kink is possibly just as bizarre, but who has never felt the need to flaunt it at a convention or in the media.

feynmanMH42
260037.  Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:52 pm Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:
Well, I've known about furries for a while now and still can't help but shake my head each time.

The problem is not that they do what they do, we all have our own little kinks and strange habits, but that they do it in public and then get offended when people pass comment.

I would never for a moment suggest that dressing in a pink velour rabbit suit and getting it on with a yellow faux-fur squirrel should be banned or punished. However, neither would I suggest that people should pretend that it is not going to attract strange looks and (possibly) negative comment.

Either shrug off the comments or keep it to yourselves, because I think most people are going to find you very strange*.

*I say this as someone whose own kink is possibly just as bizarre, but who has never felt the need to flaunt it at a convention or in the media.

I don't dress as a furry in public (okay, I've had lemur ears on once, but that was for a photo :P) and I still get "fursecuted" against on the web. People associate furry with yiff, and assume we're all weird kinky perverts who like to have sex with plushies and animals, or people who haven't grown up and still watch childrens' cartoons, or worse, people who yiff and watch childrens' cartoons at the same time.

Very few furries are actually furry outside of the internet, furry conventions or furry gatherings. Most of us keep our furreality hidden from mundanes.

Dusk Husky
270782.  Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:52 pm Reply with quote

It's worth pointing out that a lot of the time when furries get comments made against them about being sick or weird, a lot of it is indeed unjust given that very few furries actually do anything sick or weird in public. Costuming happens, yeah, I do it myself (head, tail, paws, collar, the lot - marf!), but I don't get it on with people in public and I don't molest people either.

I've actually worn my otter suit at my local church to entertain the kids!

Ian Dunn
270798.  Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:22 pm Reply with quote

Dusk Husky wrote:
It's worth pointing out that a lot of the time when furries get comments made against them about being sick or weird, a lot of it is indeed unjust given that very few furries actually do anything sick or weird in public. Costuming happens, yeah, I do it myself (head, tail, paws, collar, the lot - marf!), but I don't get it on with people in public and I don't molest people either.

I've actually worn my otter suit at my local church to entertain the kids!

I have a tail, but that's about it. I've yet to wear it in public mind.

270838.  Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:40 pm Reply with quote

I'll remain happily mundane; does that make me part of a minority?

Page 3 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next