View previous topic | View next topic

Finland

Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Mulvil
174632.  Tue May 15, 2007 12:56 pm Reply with quote

I'll get us underway with Finland, hosts of the recent eurovision and home to Hell, which frequently freezes over!

As was said earlier "ooh a good one for the f series maybe" (I've been waiting since jenny said that!)

With 179,584 islands Finland is the country with by far the most islands in the world, although a quick google if you were looking for the country with most islands in the world turns up the indonesia and the phillipines but they don't even come close.

Finland has also topped the list for free press since itc inception in 2002 (along with other countries)

As posted here post 163724

grizzly
174637.  Tue May 15, 2007 1:04 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
I'll get us underway with Finland, hosts of the recent eurovision and home to Hell, which frequently freezes over!

Norway also has a hell which regularly freezes over, but you probably already knew that.

Mulvil
174683.  Tue May 15, 2007 2:23 pm Reply with quote

Damn it I got confused, its in Norway, thanks grizzly.

Anyway the number of islands thing is QI and hopefully other people know more about Finland

Ian Dunn
174690.  Tue May 15, 2007 2:42 pm Reply with quote

Well all I can say is that, "Finland, Finland, Finland...it's the country for me!"

Sergei
174774.  Tue May 15, 2007 10:19 pm Reply with quote

Mention could be made of their intriguingly non-Indo-European language, which is more than profligate with noun cases. Some scholars believe that Finnish (or the language that became modern Finnish) has been spoken in the same area for five thousand years, yet it wasn't written down until the 16th century.

An interesting story told to me by a Finn (and which I'm afraid I haven't been able to confirm) is that Nokia, founded as a timber milling company deep in the forests, donated a small amount of stock to help the local community. This stock is now so immensely valuable that the community has trouble spending the money...

Gluben
174775.  Tue May 15, 2007 10:39 pm Reply with quote

Ian Dunn wrote:
Well all I can say is that, "Finland, Finland, Finland...it's the country for me!"

Quite a long way from Cairo, too.

Ian Dunn
174782.  Wed May 16, 2007 1:47 am Reply with quote

Gluben wrote:
Ian Dunn wrote:

Lots of miles from Vietman.

Ian Dunn
180170.  Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:18 am Reply with quote

Here's something quite interesting.

In the 18th century, a Finnish robber by the name of Ronkainen tested his gang members by making them carry a heavy woman over an obstacle course.

This rather unusual ritual lead to an annual wife-carrying championship in the Finnish town of Sonkajaarvi.

Source: Mr Hartston's Most Excellent Encylopedia of Useless Information: The Supreme Miscellany of Fantastic Facts by William Hartston.

Frances
180183.  Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:35 am Reply with quote

Ian Dunn wrote:
Gluben wrote:
Ian Dunn wrote:

Who's Vietman?

Ian Dunn
180184.  Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:36 am Reply with quote

Frances wrote:
Ian Dunn wrote:
Gluben wrote:
Ian Dunn wrote:

Who's Vietman?

Alright "Vietnam".

Why am I surrounded by pedants?

samivel
180199.  Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:00 am Reply with quote

I should think it's because you're on the QI talkboards.

Ian Dunn
180201.  Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:01 am Reply with quote

samivel wrote:
I should think it's because you're on the QI talkboards.

I guess so. :)

djgordy
180218.  Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:35 am Reply with quote

Ian Dunn wrote:

You're such an easy target;-)

Ian Dunn
180219.  Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:38 am Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
Ian Dunn wrote:

You're such an easy target;-)

That I find much more upsetting. :(

Mulvil
194647.  Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:30 pm Reply with quote

After six centuries of union with Sweden, Finland came under Russian rule in 1809. The Finns declared independance in 1917 but they went and lost some land to the soviets in WWII.

They also fought on the side of the Nazi's in the Second world war but they only fought against the soviets.

They were however bomber by Britain and 69 Finnish merchant ships were sank in the Baltic.

Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next