View previous topic | View next topic

Hagfish

Page 1 of 1

austinallegro
173342.  Thu May 10, 2007 10:43 am Reply with quote

My favourite animal cum fish :

Smashing animals, they don't have a normal set of jaws, instead they tear off meat horizantly and gulp it down, they have five hearts, one for all the different functions, one for teh brain, one for the gills etc. They are the oldest recognised vertebreates being over 300 miliion yeatrs old. When captured and held by the tail, they escape by secreting a fibrous slime, which turns into a thick and sticky gel when combined with water, which it then cleans off by tying themselves in an overhand knot which works its way from the head to the tail of the animal, scraping off the slime as it goes

grizzly
173431.  Thu May 10, 2007 7:11 pm Reply with quote

They also made an appearence on blue planet (devouring a whale on the sea bed).

In order to rip off the flesh they tie themselves in a knot. I'm sure the footage must be around somewhere.

Mulvil
173578.  Fri May 11, 2007 10:27 am Reply with quote

I've seen it grizzly, actualy it was put instead of a lecture for us. anywya it wa cool the way they did it. If I find the footage I'll put the link in.

Starfish13
248568.  Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:05 am Reply with quote

Hagfish are wicked. There also one of the fishes that are sequential hemaphrodites, starting out life as a female and turning male (or vise versa, I'm not sure which).

Quite interestingly, clown fish are sequential hemaphrodites too. In 'Finding Nemo' Nemo's father would have gradually turned into a female once the dominant female (Nemo's mummy) had been removed from the population. Who'd have thought it from Disney?

Page 1 of 1