Goto page Previous  1, 2

Flash
18481.  Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:38 am Reply with quote

Cracking bit of research there, James.

Flash
18483.  Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:41 am Reply with quote

... permitting me to boil the note down to this:

Quote:
Cockneys are traditionally born within the sound of the bells of St Mary-le-Bow in the City of London, the bells which called Dick Whittington back to London; born cockneys include Barbara Windsor (born in Shoreditch) and Dame Maggie Smith (Ilford) but not Dick van Dyke (West Plains, Missouri).

In 1991, research by Dr Malcolm Hough concluded that
·Before motor traffic the bells would have been audible at night all over London
·Post-motor traffic they can barely be heard on the opposite bank of the Thames in the day time

The bells were destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666 and again in an air raid in 1941 (so that anyone born 1941-1961 would certainly have been unable to hear them). There was also a two-year stoppage in the 19th century when they were silent because a neighbour (Mrs Elisabeth Bird) complained.

If we take the range of the bells as 3 miles, cockneys are being born today in St Thomas's (1.5 miles from St Mary-le-Bow). There are 20 NHS hospitals in the relevant area, though most of them do not have maternity units.

eggshaped
18488.  Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:03 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Barbara Windsor (born in Shoreditch)

That got me wondering about Eastenders. Is Walford in the permitted area?

Well I don’t really watch it enough, or have the knowledge of London postcodes, to know. But I know that E20 is the name of the Nightclub in ‘stenders, and its named after the fictional postcode.

Of course there is no E20 in real life, but there is an E16 (6miles from St Mary’s) E17 (7.4miles) and E18 (8miles), so it would be reasonable to assume that E20 would be even further than that.

Quote:
If we take the range of the bells as 3 miles

Incidentally, Eastenders was originally going to be called "E8", and according to Mapquest, the postcode E8 is exactly 3 miles from St Mary le Bow.

Flash
18491.  Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:17 am Reply with quote

And Ilford is 10 miles out, so Dame Maggie is a bit of a stretch. Wasn't aware of Mapquest - thanks for that.

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2