View previous topic | View next topic

Ethics

Page 1 of 1

eggshaped
172875.  Wed May 09, 2007 3:23 am Reply with quote

Lawyers in Austria are attempting to legally declare Haisl the Chimpanzee "a person".

Quote:
Hiasl's supporters argue he needs that status to become a legal entity that can receive donations and get a guardian to look out for his interests.

"Our main argument is that Hiasl is a person and has basic legal rights,'' said Eberhart Theuer, a lawyer leading the challenge on behalf of the Association Against Animal Factories, a Vienna animal rights group.

"We mean the right to life, the right to not be tortured, the right to freedom under certain conditions,'' Theuer said.

"We're not talking about the right to vote here.''

Spain's government is apparently also considering a bill that would extend "fundamental moral and legal protections'' to apes.

link

Gray
172880.  Wed May 09, 2007 3:33 am Reply with quote

That would be okay, I think, if they could also display beyond reasonable doubt that the ape had a good grasp of its responsibilities in society as well. E.g. no stealing bananas, no faeces-throwing, no tearing the arms off people you don't like the look of, etc.

eggshaped
172888.  Wed May 09, 2007 3:45 am Reply with quote

With those boundaries I think we're going to have to relegate a good number of those already considered "people".

Bunter
172890.  Wed May 09, 2007 3:54 am Reply with quote

See you later folks...

MatC
172902.  Wed May 09, 2007 4:51 am Reply with quote

Years ago, I wrote a short story about a Bonobo who had been taught sign language, and went to court to have himself declared “people” rather than property. Of course, it’ll never get reprinted now, because this bastard Hiasl has destroyed its basis as a science fiction story. And what sort of name is that, anyway? My monkey was called Bobby.

Page 1 of 1