View previous topic | View next topic

Christie, Agatha

Page 1 of 1

MatC
21888.  Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:48 am Reply with quote

Lord Mountbatten, amongst his many achievements, repeatedly claimed to have given Agatha Christie the idea for one of her most famous novels, “The Murder of Roger Ackroyd.” Christie herself appeared to acknowledge this late in her life, but modern experts doubt the veracity of his boasts.

Source: “The life and crimes of Agatha Christie” by Charles Osborne (HarperCollins, 1999).

Frederick The Monk
21892.  Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:02 am Reply with quote

Surely a man with the full title Admiral of the Fleet Louis Francis Albert Victor Nicholas Mountbatten, 1st Earl Mountbatten of Burma, KG, GCB, OM, GCSI, GCIE, GCVO, DSO, PC, FRS wouldn't fib? (and I'm excluding his foreign orders and decorations).

MatC
21894.  Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:24 am Reply with quote

You're right, of course. I don't know what I was thinking of ...

I can’t remember who it was who used to tell the story about a Tory canvasser knocking on Mountbatten’s door during the 45 (or 51?) election, and being surprised to have the door opened by Louis his own self. The canvasser went into his spiel: “Sorry to trouble you sir, I'm from the local Conservative Party, I was wondering if we could count on your support on Thursday?” To which MountB replied: “Actually, old man, I’m Labour. I think my butler might be one of your lot, but I’m afraid it’s his evening off.”

Page 1 of 1