View previous topic | View next topic

Eggs

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Bunter
149138.  Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:17 am Reply with quote

Do you remember when Delia Smith caused a furore by writing extensively about how to cook eggs?

Could we go one better and dedicate an entire show to eggs?

You've got:

Easter Eggs
Faberge Eggs
Eggs as food
Egg donors
Eggs/Ovums
Egg Island, Bahamas
Egg, Switzerland
The Egg War
Curate's Eggs
Egg Teeth
Cosmic Eggs
The Isle of Eigg (bit of a cheat)
Egg on people's faces
Good eggs
Putting eggs in one basket
Eggers (types of moth)

Stephen: "Alan...to kick off tonight's show on eggs, please tell me which came first, the chicken..."

MatC
149143.  Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:32 am Reply with quote

I vote for that - a great and strange choice for a Big Theme. What do you reckon, themeshaped?

eggshaped
149149.  Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:43 am Reply with quote

IMHO the themes work best when the topic is huge, like danger, rather than slim like bacteria. Eggs are probably somewhere in between, though Bunter's list of possible subjects is certainly impressive.

The old problem is that once Jimmy Carr's done his repertoire of egg jokes where do they go from there.

Bunter
149266.  Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:34 am Reply with quote

Jimmy Carr doesn't tell the best egg jokes by any stretch of the imagination.

He's not a proper comedi-hen!

Boom boom!

eggshaped
149267.  Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:36 am Reply with quote

I always think it's best to ovoid puns anyway.

Jenny
153349.  Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:23 pm Reply with quote

Why do some chickens lay brown eggs and others lay white eggs?

The easiest way to tell what colour eggs a hen will lay is to look at her earlobes. A hen with white earlobes will lay white eggs. A hen with red earlobes will lay brown eggs.

It's nothing to do with their diet - the breed of the chicken is the only determining factor. There is no nutritional difference between white and brown eggs. Yolk colour is affected by the chicken's diet though - mainly by the pigments in the chicken feed. It would be possible to get chickens to lay eggs with colourless yolks if you fed it only on white corn, but farmers don't do this because most people prefer their eggs to have yellow yolks.

Source: Why do clocks run clockwise, and other imponderables: Mysteries of everyday life explained by David Feldman

Flash
153351.  Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:49 pm Reply with quote

We ran this in the "differences" show last season, Jenny. What we didn't really cover is the reason why people in the UK perceive brown eggs as more wholesome whereas in the States (as I understand it) they prefer the white ones. Too late now, though, I'm afraid.

Jenny
153561.  Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:10 pm Reply with quote

Actually Flash, in New England they prefer brown eggs - it's the rest of the US that prefers white. I'm not sure there is an official explanation, but it may be that it's a very old preference that was culturally set in New England before the rest of the US was occupied. I wonder if there is a cultural preference for white or brown eggs in other parts of Europe?

I liked the earlobes detail, myself.

Flash
153569.  Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:37 pm Reply with quote

Yes, it was the earlobes we ran. We had a mad rush just before the recording to find a clearable picture of a chicken's earlobes.

dr.bob
153657.  Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:56 am Reply with quote

White eggs used to be all the rage over here too until about the 80's, didn't they?

For anyone who, like me, was surprised to hear that chickens had earlobes, here's a handy guide to where to find them:

http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/eggs/pdfs/chickenparts.pdf

Molly Cule
156811.  Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:48 am Reply with quote

Little kids of England beware, the fine for picking up and taking home the eggs of a wild bird is £5,000 and/or six months in prison. In Scotland it is £1,000.

Its illegal to have wild birds eggs unless you found them before 28 September 1982 when the wildlife and countryside act came into force. Its illegal to sell an old collection of birdsí eggs. Its also illegal to take photos of wild birds if you will disturb them by taking the photos. http://www.southendrspb.co.uk/birdcrime.htm

eggshaped
156814.  Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:54 am Reply with quote

Eggs could cause cancer, but don't worry beacause eating eggs can help beat cancer.

More brilliant cancer stuff to come on Monday.

Jenny
156845.  Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:06 pm Reply with quote

Article in today's Guardian:

Quote:
Is my egg going to hatch?

Rebecca Smithers
Thursday March 15, 2007
The Guardian

It's not a question that normally exercises many of us, when our dilemma is more likely to be whether to boil, poach, fry or scramble. But that all changed with yesterday's reports of two duck eggs put by 10-year-old Jessica Sansom into an incubator which hatched into fluffy yellow Splash and Splosh a month later.

The organic eggs had been bought in a box of six from Waitrose in Esher, Surrey, but production has been traced to Clarence Court of Liskeard, Cornwall.

Clearly, whether we are talking chickens or ducks, fertilisation is dependent upon a male (cock or drake, to be specific) having mingled with the females, which means the chances of free-range and organic eggs being fertilised are greater, because of the more open conditions. A spokesman for the British Egg Industry Council said it was impossible for battery-reared hens' eggs to be fertilised because hens are kept five to a cage, with no male company.

Experts say that, in any case, refrigeration or keeping them for some time would kill off any chances of hatching. The BEIC also stressed that, contrary to popular opinion, blood spots - often found in yolks - do not indicate a fertilised egg. They are caused by the rupture of a blood vessel on the yolk surface during formation of the egg and are actually indicative of freshness. There is, it seems, no way to tell, short of putting them into an incubator.

A spokeswoman for Waitrose admitted the arrival of Splash and Splosh was "a bit of a surprise". But Clarence Court said in a statement that it was "impossible" for their eggs to be fertilised. The enticing blurb on its website reads like a luxury poultry holiday camp: "Our birds enjoy the finest cereal-based diet . . . the privacy of warm, secluded nest boxes, dust baths, trees and shrubs for cover." But it doesn't say anything about segregation of the sexes.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,2034075,00.html

MatC
157034.  Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:02 am Reply with quote

eggshaped wrote:
Eggs could cause cancer, but don't worry beacause eating eggs can help beat cancer.

More brilliant cancer stuff to come on Monday.

See also the threead Eating: Nutrition for more "good for you/bad for you" ballocks.

dr.bob
157564.  Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:10 am Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
Article in today's Guardian:

Quote:
Is my egg going to hatch?

This was explained to me many years ago by a friend, normally when he was challenging my (at that time) vegetarianism. His brother was training as a medic and was researching a project which involved injecting various things into chicken embryos to see how it would affect their development as they grew.

Apparently the standard way of getting chicken embryos was to pop down to the supermarket and buy half-a-dozen free range eggs. When put in an incubator, you could guarantee that at least a couple would develop and hatch into chicks.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next