View previous topic | View next topic

Script Notes: Exploration

Page 1 of 1

Frederick The Monk
168769.  Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:46 pm Reply with quote

Please post any thoughts on the EXPLORATION script here. Also any ideas for other/ better questions or props, pictures, footage etc.

eggshaped
168781.  Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:08 pm Reply with quote

I have a slight niggle with this introduction:

Quote:
Hello, hello, hello and welcome to the good ship QI where tonight without heed for life or limb and with a reckless disregard for English grammar we ‘boldy go’ where no-one has gone before as we steer our theme of Exploration out into the great unknown. Joining me on the bridge tonight we have:

There is no grammatical reason why one should not split infinitives. Worse, Stephen "corrected" one of my warm-up questions last year by claiming that split infinitives were incorrect.

Gray
168816.  Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:14 pm Reply with quote

Also, 'we boldly go' doesn't use an infinitive in this context - there's no 'to go'.

Frederick The Monk
168846.  Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:21 pm Reply with quote

Am I surrounded by pedants?

Bugger, yes I am!

dr.bob
168893.  Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:06 am Reply with quote

And I'd be surprised if you'd get away with using the original phrase "to boldly go..." since I believe this has now been copyrighted by the makers of Star Trek.

Although I don't know if that legal position applies over this side of the atlantic.

MatC
168897.  Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:36 am Reply with quote

eggshaped wrote:
I have a slight niggle with this introduction:

Quote:
Hello, hello, hello and welcome to the good ship QI where tonight without heed for life or limb and with a reckless disregard for English grammar we ‘boldy go’ where no-one has gone before as we steer our theme of Exploration out into the great unknown. Joining me on the bridge tonight we have:

There is no grammatical reason why one should not split infinitives. Worse, Stephen "corrected" one of my warm-up questions last year by claiming that split infinitives were incorrect.

Well said! The belief that split infinitives are in some way incorrect is the single most perfect example in existence of the dangers of “a little learning.”

MatC
168898.  Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:37 am Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
And I'd be surprised if you'd get away with using the original phrase "to boldly go..." since I believe this has now been copyrighted by the makers of Star Trek.

Although I don't know if that legal position applies over this side of the atlantic.

Laws apply wherever the military and/or economic might to enforce them exists: that’s what a law is. Thus, in Britain today, US law outranks UK law: see, for instance, the case of Gary McKinnon.

Bunter
168902.  Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:53 am Reply with quote

I've sent an email to Fred about this, but would any of you have falled for the Grand Canyon in Colorado Gen.Ig?

Even a dumb-kopf like me knows it's in Arizona...

MatC
168905.  Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:58 am Reply with quote

Bunter wrote:
I've sent an email to Fred about this, but would any of you have falled for the Grand Canyon in Colorado Gen.Ig?

I wouldn’t have had an opinion either way, and wouldn’t have been at all interested when told. “It’s in North America” is quite specific enough for my purposes.

Frederick The Monk
168912.  Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:16 am Reply with quote

Bunter wrote:

Well the US postal service printed several million stamps claiming it was.

MatC
173020.  Wed May 09, 2007 9:14 am Reply with quote

And Royal Mail issued stamps featuring the “Isle of White.”
http://www.solent.tv/pageviewer.aspx?page=S633126688800156250

Gray
173046.  Wed May 09, 2007 10:01 am Reply with quote

You can buy some on eBay too, for over £180!

Page 1 of 1