View previous topic | View next topic

Libya

Page 1 of 1

Mosspiglet
168163.  Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:53 am Reply with quote

When in Libya late last year our guide told us of four taxes that the people had to pay. One for social security, one called the 'man made river' tax and another he called the'gun tax'. (I can't remember the fourth although it may have been a petrol tax.)

We thought the 'gun tax' was QI but never got to the bottom of it. We couldn't tell if it was a military tax or something else altogether.

Neotenic
168247.  Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:06 am Reply with quote

I think you may be referring to the rather ominiously titled 'Jihad Tax', which is used apparently to fund the military, and is levied at 4% for companies and 1-3% for individuals depending on income levels.

Well, I've definitely learnt something new today.

grimwig
171460.  Wed May 02, 2007 5:31 am Reply with quote

Libya is the only country with a flag of just one colour

Mulvil
171464.  Wed May 02, 2007 5:40 am Reply with quote

What about France? isn't their's just plain white? Well they seem to like waving plain white ones anyway. (Sorry couldn't resist that one!)

eggshaped
214030.  Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:48 am Reply with quote

Quote:
When in Libya late last year our guide told us of four taxes that the people had to pay. One for social security, one called the 'man made river' tax and another he called the'gun tax'. (I can't remember the fourth although it may have been a petrol tax.)

Here is the libyan tax system for anyone who's interested.

...there's a sentence I never thought I'd say.

Anyway:
Jihad Tax - check
Great Man Made River Tax - check
Social Security - check

and I would think the other tax must be plain old boring Income Tax.

eggshaped
214033.  Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:51 am Reply with quote

Incidentally, the Great Man Made River, which supplies water to the country's northern coastal towns, is apparently the world's largest engineering venture.

Not sure how they measure that.

http://www.water-technology.net/projects/gmr/

smiley_face
214038.  Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:13 am Reply with quote

Oh, how I wish the UK only had 4 taxes. It's VAT that's the real bugger IMO.

eggshaped
214040.  Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:16 am Reply with quote

Kinda strange that they're transporting water from the Sahara of all places, to the towns on the Coast. I'd have thought desalination plants would be easier.

dr.bob
214403.  Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:46 am Reply with quote

I believe that desalination is still incredibly expensive, which is why people prefer to go to extraordinary lengths to transport water that's naturally fresh.

Either that, or they prefer the taste :)

Ainee
799894.  Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:26 am Reply with quote

So we are fighting Dirty against the Libyan population?
I did not vote for this.

http://alethonews.wordpress.com/2011/03/25/depleted-uranium-a-strange-way-to-protect-libyan-civilians/

CB27
799907.  Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:23 am Reply with quote

I think that post belongs more in the WFHIT forum, but for what's it worth, that article is based on a "Stop The War Coalition" report, which itself seems to be based on a 2004 report. I'm not saying it might not be true, but you have to be aware that it was written with an agenda in mind.

CB27
799909.  Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:31 am Reply with quote

Looking back at the discussion in 2007 about desalination, one of the ironies of this technologies is that Israel is one of the cheapest places for it, with an average cost of around $0.10-$0.12 per cubic metre, as opposed to over $0.40 in the US. I doubt Libya would have co-operated with Israel over this :)

Efros
799916.  Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:49 am Reply with quote

Ainee wrote:
So we are fighting Dirty against the Libyan population?
I did not vote for this.

http://alethonews.wordpress.com/2011/03/25/depleted-uranium-a-strange-way-to-protect-libyan-civilians/

The interesting thing about all of this is the reference to Marion Falk Chemical Physicist, retired from the Lawrence Livermore Lab. A quick Google on the name reveals incredible numbers of links to this quote but I cannot find any reference to this Falk person or a link to the original quote. even a restricted search fails to highlight anything pertaining to Falk and the LL lab or Falk and the Manhattan project which she was supposedly involved in. Only references seem to be an oncologist of that name.

Page 1 of 1