View previous topic | View next topic

Red kangaroos

Page 1 of 1

Vitali
168138.  Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:26 am Reply with quote

Q: What colour is Red Kangaroo?
F: Red

A: It depends...

Notes: Not all red kangaroos are red. Most males are pale red to brick red in colour but occasional blue-grey males occur. Females are usually blue-grey and in consequence are often called ‘blue fliers’ but, in some areas, both sexes are reddish. Under favourable environmental conditions females become sexually mature when 15-20 months old; males when about two years old. Adult coat colour is established at this stage but, for several years thereafter, both sexes continue to increase in size and to cut molar teeth.

Source: http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v10/i4/kangaroos.asp

dr.bob
168199.  Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:47 am Reply with quote

I wonder if that website has ever been used as a reference on these forums before :)

Jenny
168391.  Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:05 pm Reply with quote

I wouldn't be totally convinced about anything that website had to say.

Of course we could always go with the ever-reliable Conservapedia version:

Conservapedia wrote:
According to the origins theory model used by creation scientists, modern kangaroos are the descendants of the two founding members of the modern kangaroo baramin that were taken aboard Noah's Ark prior to the Great Flood. It has not yet been determined by baraminologists whether kangaroos form a holobaramin with the wallaby, tree-kangaroo, wallaroo, pademelon and quokka, or if all these species are in fact apobaraminic or polybaraminic.

After the Flood, these kangaroos bred from the Ark passengers migrated to Australia. There is debate whether this migration happened over land[5] with lower sea levels during the post-flood ice age, or before the supercontinent of Pangea broke apart[6], or if they rafted on mats of vegetation torn up by the receding flood waters.[5] The idea that God simply generated kangaroos into existence there is considered by most creation researchers to be contra-Biblical.

Other views on kangaroo origins include the belief of some Australian aborigines that kangaroos were sung into existence by their ancestors during the "Dreamtime" [7] and the evolutionary view that kangaroos and the other marsupials evolved from a common marsupial ancestor which lived hundreds of millions of years ago.[8]

This is better than their first version, in that the last half sentence does actually acknowledge that there is an 'evolutionary view' and give a citation.

Actually, I am also rather fond of the Conservapedia version of the origins of koala, which I strongly suspect to be a piss-take that the sysops haven't twigged yet. It is actually quite hard to tell the satirical stuff from the serious stuff.

Conservapedia wrote:
Origins

Koalas are correctly said to be indigenous to the Middle East, as are all terrestrial animals. Australia became their adopted home to which koalas journeyed after the original two were released from Noah's Ark at the conclusion of the Great Flood. Most creationists believe that these ancient Koalas were considerably hardier, faster, and far less fastidious in their diet than their modern descendants, which have degenerated into sleepy, gum-leaf chewing opiate addicts as a result of human sinfulness. The virile, proactive Koala of Biblical times would have been far better endowed physically and emotionally to undertake the epic journey across the world from Mt Ararat to Australia. As original Australian fauna consist almost entirely of marsupials, it is likely that bands of marsupials undertook this journey together. Indeed, the Koala may have been carried by the Kangaroos in their pouches, along with other small marsupials for much of this time.

Gray
168461.  Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:11 am Reply with quote

That's a dreadful source, but it is true - the females are blue-ish.

eggshaped
168552.  Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:40 am Reply with quote

Yes, but the males are red-ish, so I think the forfeit's a little on the unfair side. Of course there must be some reason that the designer made them that way.

Page 1 of 1