View previous topic | View next topic

earthquakes

Page 1 of 1

Molly Cule
167214.  Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:35 am Reply with quote

We get 250 earthquakes in the UK per year and they are spread throughout the country. Only about 30 of those can be felt.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2349019.stm
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/regional/world/events/1979_12_26.php

There were 3 earthquakes during the reign of Elizabeth I (1558 1603) the first of which lasted only a minute but churches and houses were shattered, Westminster clock bell and church bells all over the city rang of their own accord as they were so shaken up. The next two were on Christmas Eve, four years apart.

The next one was in 1750 with two shocks, the second shock was followed by flashes of lightening.
S London the biography

Quote:
In 1580, Elizabeth I was in a fierce dispute with Pope Pius V who had excommunicated her and claimed to have the power of deposing her and of putting Mary Queen of Scots on the throne. The earthquake of that year was therefore judged by Catholics and Protestants alike as a signal from Heaven and the streets were daily full of pamphlets arguing for one side or the other. The earthquake of 1627 occurred on the day Charles I was crowned at Westminster. The day did not begin well. Charles' queen, Henrietta Maria, was a Catholic and refused to attend the ceremony. There was no traditional procession from the Tower to Westminster and the populace of London were unhappy at the lack of the usual spectacle such as that at the coronation of Edward VI in 1547 shown in the image below. (These events were normally accompanied by an air of carnival, undoubtedly helped by the traditional filling of the water conduits with free wine.)
Charles had chosen to come to Westminster by river instead but the royal barge fouled the landing stage at Parliament Stairs and he had to make an undignified landing from a hastily borrowed boat. The earthquake merely served to underline the general conviction that there were evil times ahead. One wonders whether memories of these portents were stirred twenty-two years later when Civil War had ravaged he land and Charles was beheaded in Whitehall.

http://www.storyoflondon.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=5&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

eggshaped
167222.  Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:40 am Reply with quote

I was considering using this fact in my notes for the moving-mountains notes. But I'm not sure if we're going to use it as a question in its own right. Question-wranglers?

Molly Cule
167239.  Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:56 am Reply with quote

What did the earth do to commemorate the 1906 San Fransisco Earthquake?

Conducted a ballet. Ballet Mori, held in San Fransisco last year was conducted by the Earth. The principal, named Maffre danced in response to a musical composition modulated live in real time by the fluctuations of the Earth's movement as measured by a networked seismometer at the Hayward Fault.

http://goldberg.berkeley.edu/art/Ballet-Mori/

James - somewhere in your head was a vague memory of a Madness concert that scored high up there on the Richter scale........

eggshaped
167242.  Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:00 am Reply with quote

Oh crikey, yeah. Give me a minute.

eggshaped
167246.  Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:05 am Reply with quote

Here you go; from the Guardian

Quote:
In one dramatic episode tower blocks in Finsbury Park, London, began to shake. After a while BGS scientists traced the cause. It was a concert by the pop group Madness. During one song the crowd began to stamp its feet in strict time, and in a freak of geophysics the sediments of the London basin amplified the stamping to a level that set the buildings rocking too.

The concert was called "Madstock" and the song was "one step beyond". Some sites (like wiki) claim it was 4.1 on the Richter Scale (that's the same at the Melton Mobray earthquake in 2001). I think I heard about it in an interview with the band.

Frederick The Monk
167251.  Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:11 am Reply with quote

Links to TESLA and ELFs in Electricity.

Flash
167302.  Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:12 am Reply with quote

eggshaped wrote:
I was considering using this fact in my notes for the moving-mountains notes. But I'm not sure if we're going to use it as a question in its own right. Question-wranglers?

I have both the British earthquakes and the earthquake ballet marked down as note-grade ore, and the sprinting mountain as top-quality question-grade material. Stick 'em in the smelter together, I say.

Gray
167305.  Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:15 am Reply with quote

The Japanese are so fed up with their earthquakes that they're drilling down to one of the biggest faults to see if they can sort it out.

'Fault' being the operative word, here, I think. Guess which structure will be the first casualty of a quake...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6566039.stm

Jenny
170380.  Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:58 am Reply with quote

A thread on the outer forums is talking about earth tremors in Kent.

MatC
170735.  Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:57 am Reply with quote

BBC website called it an eathquake from the start. BBC radio called it an "earth tremor" at first, then changed it to earthquake. Is there a diff?

dr.bob
170869.  Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:02 am Reply with quote

BBC Breakfast news on Saturday did the interminable "live news channel" thing of spending about half-an-hour saying "something's happened in Kent, we're not sure what it is, but we're going to talk about it for ages anyway despite the fact we have nothing meaningful to say about it"

Gah!

Jenny
170982.  Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:19 pm Reply with quote

'Small earthquake in Kent, nobody killed' then?

MatC
171008.  Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:07 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
'Small earthquake in Kent, nobody killed' then?

But quite a few homeless - at least for a while.

eggshaped
202053.  Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:37 am Reply with quote

Of no discernible interest, but Sky News reported the "Magnitude" of the earthquake in Peru last week, rather than "'n' on the richter scale".

Page 1 of 1