View previous topic | View next topic

Excuses/Aids

Page 1 of 1

Bunter
166914.  Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:07 am Reply with quote

A friend of mine works as a biotechnology lobbyist, and is privy to some good information. He sent me the following email which may or may not be true. But QI if it is.

Quote:
One of the greatest problems in the spread of AIDS in Africa is not so much the lack of available drugs at affordable prices but because most Africans don't own a watch.

Why?

Because AIDS is treated with a complex triple cocktail of drugs that need to be taken at specific times on a regular basis every day. i.e a few pills
every four hours, one every twelve etc.

Without a watch to guide them - such a prescribed regimen is a waste of
time. Therefore, many of the large Pharmaceutical companies are reluctantto supply cut price drugs in the knowledge that it would make little or no difference to the epidemic.

MatC
166918.  Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 am Reply with quote

Except that ... since wristwatches cost - what? - 20 or 30 pence to make, they could very easily, and without breaking into even a light fiscal sweat, distribute free watches along with cheap drugs.

As you say, Bunter - “Excuse.”

Love it for the show ... one with a couple of satirists on the panel.

(Link to Epidemiology)

Gray
166924.  Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:32 am Reply with quote

And then there's this repulsive spectacle.

Quote:
Thousands of Aids and HIV patients are risking their lives by refusing medication in favour of holy water, Sky News can reveal.

The controversial treatment is offered by a church in Ethiopia which claims to have cured hundreds of believers.

Some cried out for the demons to leave their body, while priests hit them with wooden crosses. Many of them clutched their babies while the water was is shaken from the plastic containers. It is an extraordinary sight.

Evil fuckers.

MatC
166945.  Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:09 am Reply with quote

Perhaps we should have a topic heading: Evil.

“At a mange-tout factory in Zimbabwe, Tesco make sure that water is specially piped in to clean the produce, while the workers have to walk over a mile from their homes to drink from the nearest supply.”
- Co-operative News, 3 April 07

Page 1 of 1