View previous topic | View next topic

emblems

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Molly Cule
164929.  Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:06 am Reply with quote

James, I just saw the conversation on squire about swastikas being used by Kipling on his books and it also being an emblem for the Scouts and Finnish air - we could have a 'have I got news for you' style question showing photos of Kipling, a Finnish air hostess a boy Scout and Hitler and asking what they all have in common? their emblems? Or there is no doubt a much better way of doing it - I just thought the facts were good. : )

Last edited by Molly Cule on Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total

eggshaped
164933.  Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:14 am Reply with quote

Thanks Moll, I hadn't seen the most recent reply to that, I agree that it's a great fact.

For those who can't be bothered checking SQUIRE, this was a message from 96aelw, who responded to this nugget:

Quote:

Rudyard Kipling when signing his signature would combine his name with a Swastika. Then drawing a circle round round the two, making it some sort of logo. He also printed a Swastika on the cover of all his books.

source

with this:

Quote:
Swastikas were indeed on the covers of Kipling's books for many years, but ceased to be so in 1933, as he didn't wish to be associated with the Nazis.

when prompted for a source, he responded with aplomb.

Quote:
The best source I've found is at the bottom of this page: http://www.kipling.org.uk/facts_swastik.htm.

Apparently, the Scouts used it as well, on a badge, until people started complaining in 1934, as claimed here: http://www.scouting.milestones.btinternet.co.uk/badges.htm.

And, as I found on wiki, the Finnish air force had a blue one until 1945.

Flash
164935.  Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:17 am Reply with quote

It's also an ancient Indian design motif, isn't it? They had male and female versions depending if they went clockwise or the other thing IIRC.

eggshaped
164936.  Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:23 am Reply with quote

Yup that's a sauwastika, and dan did some good swazzie stuff a while ago, beginning here

Molly Cule
164938.  Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:31 am Reply with quote

Quote:
swastika (svastika): "It is well." The ancient Hindu symbol of auspiciousness and good fortune, representing the sun. The right-angled arms of the swastika denote the indirect way in which Divinity is reached -- through intuition and not by intellect. It has been a prominent icon in many cultures.
http://www.himalayanacademy.com/resources/books/lws/lws_glossary_S-Z.html

eggshaped
165098.  Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:13 am Reply with quote

I wonder if this is the only government-subsidised tattoo removal?

Quote:
[Canadian] Taxpayers are about to spend $6,500 to remove a large swastika tattooed on the stomach of a federal prisoner.

The 23-year-old thief has seen the error of his white-supremacist ways, corrections officials said.

"He has turned around his thinking," said Alex Lubimiv, warden of B.C.'s medium-security Mountain Institution.

The inmate's prospects of living a crime-free life would be greatly enhanced by erasing the swastika etched on his abdomen, Mr. Lubimiv said.

"This is going to more than pay for itself," said Mr. Lubimiv, who approved the expense.

link

Molly Cule
165107.  Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:25 am Reply with quote

Hackers call what we call hackers, crackers.

Hackers who aren't crackers have thought about using this as their emblem

It is a 'glider' formation from the Game of Life.
http://www.catb.org/~esr/hacker-emblem/

For explanation on the hackers and crackers -

Quote:
Acc. to wiki - This does not refer to the mainstream media meaning of the word hacker: "being someone who breaks or otherwise circumvents computer security", but the positive meaning the word has within the hacking community: being a person that makes great things with computers, because hackers refer to a criminal who uses computers as a cracker.

Gray
165129.  Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:59 am Reply with quote

People 'hack' all sorts of other things too - not just computers. It's the mindset of the person involved that wants to (a) find out why something works the way it does, and (b) get those components to do something else 'cool', and usually (c) show everyone else what they've done (for kudos) and share it.

Genetic engineers are 'hacking' DNA, for example, and there's a festival in the USA that hacks simple electronic instruments' circuit boards, by wetting a finger and applying it directly to the circuitry to see what bizarre noises they can get out of them. They 'bend' the technology, rather than breaking or circumventing it: BendFest.

I'd definitely get that 'glider' as a tattoo.

Molly Cule
167244.  Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:02 am Reply with quote

Where do you want me to post these notes on Swastikas?

Swastika

The swastika is used in Buddhism to signify rebirth and prosperity. The word swastika is Sanskrit and means ‘well-being’. It is often found in statues of Buddha, especially on a symbol showing his footprints. The mirror image of the swastika with the cross going anti-clockwise is called ‘sauvastika’ in Sanskrit and is associated with misfortune and suffering.

The earliest use of a swastika in Europe is in ancient Greece. In Christian symbolism it is called Crux Gammata from the Greek, gamma, it is as though four gamma signs have been put together. Another Greek name for it is tetraskele, the four-legged one. In England it is called fylfot.

In ancient China the swastika stood for wan – 10,000.

Hitler put the swastika inside a circle, the symbol for eternity.

In Finland the swastika was used from 1918 in connection with the war of liberation from the Russian Empire.

In Scandinavia the swastika was once known as Tor’s Hammer.

Today it is used on some maps to signify electric power stations.

Liungman – Dictionary of Symbols

eggshaped
169482.  Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:57 am Reply with quote

Here are the 39 emblems which one is allowed to place on Government Headstones and Markers, including the Wiccan Symbol which was approved this week.

Flash
169484.  Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:03 am Reply with quote

20 of which relate to Christian sects - unsurprisingly, I suppose.

Gray
169615.  Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:57 am Reply with quote

I like the fact that the Muslim five-point star and the Christian Science emblem can't be shown for copyright reasons. Madness.

eggshaped
171410.  Wed May 02, 2007 2:20 am Reply with quote

The Nazi badges which identified criminals, homosexuals and jews were called "winkels". You probably all knew that, but I think it's a funny word.

Anyway, in the 9th century AD Jews in the middle east were forced to wear a yellow belt and a conical hat.

Quote:
In 1215 Pope Innocent III declared that non-emancipated “Jews and Saracens of both sexes in every Christian province and at all times shall be marked off in the eyes of the public from other peoples through the character of their dress.”

In Austria, Jews had to wear a horned hat.

http://www.designobserver.com/archives/023941.html

Gray
171415.  Wed May 02, 2007 2:35 am Reply with quote

Oh my - Hugo Boss was the Nazi SS uniform designer.

It's actually quite obvious when you think about his TV ads...

eggshaped
171552.  Wed May 02, 2007 10:43 am Reply with quote

There was a huge swastika grown in a forest in Brandenberg which was probably planted to celebrate Gitler's birthday in the 30s and sat there un-noticed for 60-odd years until it was cut down in 2000.

Quote:
The massive Nazi symbol, about 20 metres square in size, could only be seen from the air in the autumn weeks when the larch trees turn yellowish brown and stand out against the evergreen forest.

link

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next