View previous topic | View next topic

A moan

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

swot
163212.  Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:04 am Reply with quote

On Tuesday in my half-refurbished local swimming pool with a couple of friends. Because the only lockable locker available was too small for all our stuff, most of the valuables went into that one, and our clothes went into the larger one next to it which was sans a lock.

After an hour of swimming, we found out that the unlockable locker had be pilfered from. My clothes were taken, along with my glasses and watch, (but oddly not my coat and jacket) and my friend's money had been taken (but oddly not his clothes, credit cards or jewellery).

The staff at the pool tried kindly but fruitlessly to look for the stuff and the police were called. They were not helpful. At all. They reminded me of a cartoon I saw in Private Eye a few years ago - the police vapid response unit. They said that there was little to no chance of getting our stuff back. Twice. It's not all bad though. I got a letter from this morning, offering me some counselling. At least I trhink it was. It's hard to tell WITHOUT MY GLASSES.

Yes, I know they can't do much without CCTV and witnesses. And yes, I realise that there are more important mysteries to solve than the whereabouts of my knickers.

But honesly, victim support? I've just had my clothes nicked, I wasn't wearing them at the time. I'd rather have my stuff back than talk about how I've not got it.

[/rant]

Tas
163259.  Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:01 am Reply with quote

Fair comment Swot.

I think that there is too much 'Victim Support' for crimes that are not violent or distressing. That said, there WILL be someone that will sue for a lack of this service at some point...

:-)

Tas

Hummingbird
163282.  Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:52 am Reply with quote

That's just stupid. I got my jacket nicked last year from a the gym changing rooms but I still mange to carry on without PTSD.

There are a lot of stupid kids around these places who just nick stuff for the sake of it. Somehow that's more annoying than a "proper" thief.

Could you sue the pool for not providing adequate safe storage?

snophlake
163287.  Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:22 am Reply with quote

At least you had the foresight to put all your valuables in the locked locker, some people woldn't have thought of this.

Tas
163294.  Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:50 am Reply with quote

Quote:
And yes, I realise that there are more important mysteries to solve than the whereabouts of my knickers.

That all depends on who was at the party with you, and... oh, hang on, you were talking about the swimming pool incident ("Knickergate").

:-)

Tas

samivel
163299.  Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:57 am Reply with quote

I'm confused as to how you got home without any clothes. Did you have to wear a wet swimming costume? If so, I hope it was a warm day.

King of Quok
163361.  Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:15 am Reply with quote

I got the same Victim Support Letter after there was some graffiti on the side of my house. It wasn't rude graffiti, just someone's squiggly tag. I honestly think they'd be better supporting victims of bigger crimes than that. I was a bit peeved, but hardly devestated.

Jenny
163372.  Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:47 am Reply with quote

((Swot)) I hope you got home OK and didn't have to trot through the streets in your swimwear. That's a rotten and miserable thing to have happen, and the loss of glasses isn't a cheap business either.

If it were me, I would send the swimming pool a thoroughly acidic letter and ask for compensation since it was their failure to provide secure storage for your goods that enabled the theft. I'll help you write it if you like, or maybe we've got some legal bod here on the forums who could help you word it in a convincing manner?

austinallegro
163373.  Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:50 am Reply with quote

Quote:
I got the same Victim Support Letter after there was some graffiti on the side of my house. It wasn't rude graffiti, just someone's squiggly tag.

I would hate to think what would happen had you tried to remove it, the the council may think you're vandalising the next Banksy or something.

King of Quok
163386.  Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:25 pm Reply with quote

Where I live they think the Impressionists are a bit egdy and new-fangled, let alone Banksy and his ilk!

soup
163394.  Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:55 pm Reply with quote

Have this image now, of Swot getting on a bus in a dripping wet swimming cossie.

Fifi
163418.  Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:18 pm Reply with quote

i bet she got on the wrong bus because of a lack of glasses.

on a nicer note, that's rubbish swot, hope you have a spare pair of glasses, and knickers!

Nicholls
163450.  Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:54 pm Reply with quote

I have to say that is a hilarious story. Not your predicament, just the idea that they would offer you psychological help after you have had your clothes stolen. Shouldn't the therapists be working on someone that had...ooohhh I don't know....clinical or manic depression perhaps?

Izzardesque
163493.  Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:23 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:

If it were me, I would send the swimming pool a thoroughly acidic letter and ask for compensation since it was their failure to provide secure storage for your goods that enabled the theft. I'll help you write it if you like, or maybe we've got some legal bod here on the forums who could help you word it in a convincing manner?

I'm willing to bet that they have a sign up saying that patrons leave their valuables at their own descretion and accept no responsibility for loss or damage.

96aelw
163521.  Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:29 am Reply with quote

Yes, but my understanding (which is based purely on half remembered conversations with friends doing law degrees several years ago, and hence not that reliable) is that such signs, legally speaking, achieve nothing, and are there purely to make people believe the establishment has no responsibility. Putting a sign up makes, I think, precious little difference to how responsible they actually are, however responsible that may be, for anything. Much as clearly telling someone in advance that you'll kill them if they nick the last Jaffa cake won't wash as a defence for murder if they and you do.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next