View previous topic | View next topic

A personal reason why I hate "The Sun" (spit)

Page 4 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Neotenic
165596.  Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:39 am Reply with quote

Ian Dunn wrote:
This means there are two things you could do. One is to educate them, the other is to prevent idiots from doing as much damage as possible...and they do say that, "Prevention is better than cure" so I think we've just got to try and prevent the world from becoming an idiotic mess.

And how exactly would you propose going about either of those courses of action without turning the country into some kind of bizzare intellectually fascist state? If we are to be truly free to make our own choices, then doesn't that also include the choice to take the easy road and plonk down in front of Eastenders instead of reading Chomsky? How do you define what someone is doing - or in your case, what they are going to do - as 'idiotic'? Who is the arbitrator? What is the punishment? You can't force people to be smart.

The idea that the world is being driven on an inescapable descent into idiocy is hardly a new one, and pretty much all dire predictions of doom and gloom have proved to be hopelessly wrong. A good example of this would be the presidential election of Ronald Reagan - and with even GWB, the US still has the most powerful economy.

As far as celebrity stalking goes, my own personal take on this is that it is due to the increasing reliance on international media rather than local communities. The hot gossip about Pop Star X sleeping with Actress Y has simply replaced the over-the-fence gossiping about that odd couple at number 22, seeing as by and large, the people who live across the fence - and indeed the couple down the street - are near enough perfect strangers to us.

Ian Dunn
165597.  Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:40 am Reply with quote

Clickyba wrote:

And (excuse my ignorance) just what the hell is a 'Furry'?

The furry genre is the genre of anthropomorphic animals, i.e., animals featuring some sort of human characterist(s), such as speech, bipedalism, wearing of clothes etc. Fans are known as "furries" although there are also "scalies" or "featheries" depending on what animals are featured or what animals you like.

Furries themselves spend most of their time talking, writing and drawning furry art and literature. There are also other aspects such as "Fursuiting" which involves dressing up as animals, role-playing etc. It is a mainly internet culture, although there are some furry events in real-life, including conventions.

However, most coverage of "furries" tends to be negative, focusing on the sexual side of the fandom. For example, one common urban myth about furries is that most of us are gay. However, according to a study in 1997, most furries (48%) were bisexual, 25% where heterosexual and 19% were homosexual. 2% had stated an interest in zoophilia and less than 1% in plushophilia. A more recent study is to come out soon.

Wikipedia article
WikiFur - Furry version of Wikipedia.

EDIT: To Neotenic, I do realise that what I am saying does make me sound like a "Geek fascist". I'm just saying that the way people behave and the same way the media behave worries me.

violetriga
165604.  Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:53 am Reply with quote

Ian Dunn wrote:
However, most coverage of "furries" tends to be negative, focusing on the sexual side of the fandom. For example, one common urban myth about furries is that most of us are gay. However, according to a study in 1997, most furries (48%) were bisexual, 25% where heterosexual and 19% were homosexual. 2% had stated an interest in zoophilia and less than 1% in plushophilia. A more recent study is to come out soon.

That still indicates quite a strong deviation from "the norm", though I very much dislike such surveys.

Ian Dunn
165605.  Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:55 am Reply with quote

violetriga wrote:
Ian Dunn wrote:

That still indicates quite a strong deviation from "the norm".

Well, we do differ from the norm. I don't mind saying that we furries are different. Everyone is different. However, as is mentioned, this survey is 10 years old, and a more recent survey is due to be released.

violetriga
165607.  Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:58 am Reply with quote

Ian Dunn wrote:
violetriga wrote:
Ian Dunn wrote:

Well, we do differ from the norm. I don't mind saying that we furries are different. Everyone is different. However, as is mentioned, this survey is 10 years old, and a more recent survey is due to be released.

But you noted that it's a myth that most furries are gay, yet 67% have feelings for the same sex!

Ian Dunn
165610.  Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:04 am Reply with quote

violetriga wrote:
Ian Dunn wrote:
violetriga wrote:
Ian Dunn wrote:

But you noted that it's a myth that most furries are gay, yet 67% have feelings for the same sex!

Yes, but 73% are attracted to the opposite gender. I don't hear you talking about that.

My main point is that these sort of things are what are always covered in media coverage. Rather than anything about the art or works of the genre, they just concerntrate about sex and gays.

Neotenic
165646.  Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:11 am Reply with quote

Sigh.

I really wanted to prove that not everyone that reads the Sun is a gibbering imbecile, but I wandered into the forums on their website and...well...

Baked Beans BANNED by Lefties.

I'm now going to go and cry quietly in a corner somewhere.

Tas
165652.  Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:25 am Reply with quote

I read The Sun. I buy it because, and only because, their sports section give some of the better match reports and are usually ahead of the rest of the press with regards to footie transfers and other low-brow details.

The 'news' rarely gets read, unless I am extremely bored and want a sensationalist OTT view of current affairs.

:-)

Tas

violetriga
165664.  Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:50 am Reply with quote

Ian Dunn wrote:
Yes, but 73% are attracted to the opposite gender. I don't hear you talking about that.

You were trying to disprove an "urban myth" using statistics that showed it's got some basis in truth and didn't back up your comment. I'm not saying how true they are just that it was a bad selection of data to use.

Ian Dunn wrote:
My main point is that these sort of things are what are always covered in media coverage. Rather than anything about the art or works of the genre, they just concerntrate about sex and gays.

Because it is less interesting and print-worthy, at least as far as The Sun is concerned.

samivel
165692.  Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:53 am Reply with quote

Neotenic wrote:
Sigh.

I really wanted to prove that not everyone that reads the Sun is a gibbering imbecile, but I wandered into the forums on their website and...well...

Baked Beans BANNED by Lefties.

I'm now going to go and cry quietly in a corner somewhere.

Surely that's just a joke?

Ian Dunn
165701.  Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:09 am Reply with quote

violetriga wrote:
Ian Dunn wrote:

You were trying to disprove an "urban myth" using statistics that showed it's got some basis in truth and didn't back up your comment. I'm not saying how true they are just that it was a bad selection of data to use.

I suppose so. Then again it is also old data, and new data is to be published fairly soon.

Clickyba
165703.  Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:11 am Reply with quote

Tas wrote:
I read The Sun. I buy it because, and only because, their sports section give some of the better match reports and are usually ahead of the rest of the press with regards to footie transfers and other low-brow details.

The 'news' rarely gets read, unless I am extremely bored and want a sensationalist OTT view of current affairs.

Tas

I know a lot of people who buy 'Playboy' for the articles. ;).
Say no more, know wot y'mean squire.
Clicklyba

jblackley
165712.  Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:23 am Reply with quote

Clickyba wrote:
Everyone on this thread seems to be in agreement about the Sun.

Indeed. And everyone I know claims to know no-one who is a Sun reader. So who's buyng it?

Neotenic
165738.  Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:45 am Reply with quote

jblackley wrote:
Indeed. And everyone I know claims to know no-one who is a Sun reader. So who's buyng it?

My best guess is that Tas is buying three million copies.....

Funnily enough, the circulation figures are 3.1 million copies daily for the 1st half of 06 and it's daily readership figures are closer to 8 million (so that's five million cheapskates, then). So even the best selling newspaper only reaches a shade over 10% of the population - so that's probably why the country hasn't descended completely into a pit of hysterical gibbering.

Tas
165763.  Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:26 am Reply with quote

Quote:

I know a lot of people who buy 'Playboy' for the articles. ;).
Say no more, know wot y'mean squire.
Clicklyba

Sorry, Clicky. Looking at a scantily clad Mod-all from Essex on Page Three is not the reason I buy the super-soaraway Currant Bun. Once one has seem a few pairs of t*ts (and believe me, I work with a few!) you've seen them all!

Tas

Page 4 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next