View previous topic | View next topic

biting

Page 1 of 1

did you know....
163757.  Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:48 pm Reply with quote

which animal has the strongest bite? discorvery channel said tiger or turtle which are both wrong. yahoo answers said thus:

1) white shark
2) blue whale
3) lion
4) crocodile
5) cat fish

which is total bollocks as blue whales and catfish dont bite.

i couldnt find anything on wiki so anyone got the answer?

grizzly
163762.  Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:25 pm Reply with quote

How are you measuring "strong"?

Mulvil
163794.  Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:15 pm Reply with quote

I'd imagine pound per square inch applied by the bite. I find yahoo answers to be frequently incorrect by the way (and often i know they are wrong without even having to check.... but obviously I check anyway)

King of Quok
163819.  Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:24 am Reply with quote

Surely it would depend which catfish anyway? I mean a Wels is likely to have a slightly stronger theoretical bite than a Glass Catfish, simply because it's go a much bigger gob, and bigger muscles connecting its jaws. Would a Komodo Dragon be up there maybe? I know they can't chew, so they must have some force behind their jaws to be able to rip lumps out of animals? There's also a Cookiecutter (Isistius brasiliensis), a type of shark under half a metre long that pulls lumps out of bigger sharks and whales. I've no evidence, but I would have though that for something so tiny, it must have a fairly powerful bite to knock lumps out of those.

Mulvil
163821.  Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:29 am Reply with quote

Most powerful bite ever!

Long Haired Hippy
163823.  Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:34 am Reply with quote

I'd imagine it'd be some insect. They're always streets ahead when it comes to power to weight ratios.

did you know....
163867.  Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:45 pm Reply with quote

i dont mean power to size i mean total power per square inch so for my question it wouldn't be a insect

Long Haired Hippy
163876.  Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:31 pm Reply with quote

did you know.... wrote:
i dont mean power to size i mean total power per square inch so for my question it wouldn't be a insect

I'm not so sure.

Look at this.

http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2006/08/21_ant.shtml

Quote:
A species of ant native to Central and South America is entering the annals of extreme animal movement, boasting jaws arguably more impressive than such noteworthy contenders as the great white shark and the spotted hyena.

Biologists clocked the speed at which the trap-jaw ant, Odontomachus bauri, closes its mandibles at 35 to 64 meters per second, or 78 to 145 miles per hour - an action they say is the fastest self-powered predatory strike in the animal kingdom. The average duration of a strike was a mere 0.13 milliseconds, or 2,300 times faster than the blink of an eye.

It's no wonder, then, that O. bauri ants can launch themselves into the air with a mere snap of their jaws, achieving heights up to 8.3 centimeters and horizontal distances up to 39.6 centimeters. That roughly translates, for a 5-foot-6-inch tall human, into a height of 44 feet and a horizontal distance of 132 feet, an aerial trajectory likely to be the envy of circus acrobats and Olympic athletes.

Thats a fair bit of power and very few square inches.

Even if it doesn't directly answer your question I'd say I found it Quite Interesting.

And by the bye it also mentions the other contenders for impressive jaws - "great white shark and the spotted hyena"

samivel
163878.  Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:34 pm Reply with quote

That's certainly impressive. And interesting, too. Thanks for that.

:)

King of Quok
163884.  Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:46 pm Reply with quote

Following on from Mulvil's link to the now extinct marsupial lion, I wonder where various dinosaurs would come in the grand scheme of things. I'm sure it will never be possible to conclusively ascertain, but I remember a programme hosted by the ever so irritating Bill Oddie, which I only sat through as they constructed replica parts of dinosaurs to test the strength of things like claws, horns, armour-plating, skull-frills and jaws. There was a theory kicking about for a while amongst dinosaurologists that Tyrannosaurus rex was actually a scavenger, rather than hunting down its own prey. The programme sought to overturn this by - amongst other things - constructing the head of a Tyarannosaurus, using comparable materials to simulate the bone and tendons and muscles. The result was that it pretty conclusively mashed up half a cow and a small car, so if we're just talking about sheer power rather than power-to-size, he must be in with a shot. Since that programme was made there have been other dinosaurs come to prominence in palaeontological tersm, including the 46ft long Carcharodontosaurus sharicus ('great white shark lizard') which has a five foot long skull (bigger than Tyrannosaurus) , with fourteen, curved, serrated teeth on each side of the upper jaw. There is also Giganotosaurus carolini, ('giant Southern lizard) classified in 1995, almost 50ft long and estimated to be between five and eight tonnes in weight. Almost certainly possessed of some sort of warm-blooded metabolism, Gigantosaurus couldn't have run very fast, which would not have been a problem, since its likely prey would have been the less-than-agile sauropod dinosaurs, such as Antarctosaurus and Gondwanatitan.

(As a very irrelevant footnote it always surprises me how much the actions of World War II set back the world of palaeontology. Granted, it had more severe repercussions in many more facets of life, but, because of the bombing of museums, some discoveries were lost to palaeontology for ever, when specimens and notes and palaeontologists were bombed to bits. There's something so outrageous about a fragement of animal preserved for sixty four million years and painstakingly exhumed by a scientist being blasted to dust in seconds.)

jlord
239753.  Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:21 am Reply with quote

hmmm, not too sure about the absolute strongest bite (by which i assume you mean the greatest force that can be applied by the jaw mechanism alone) - but in relative terms take a look at the abstract of this study of bite force quotient (BFQ) and its findings:

"the Tasmanian devil (Sarcophilus harrisii) had the highest relative BS among extant taxa"

there's a full table of results on page 6 of the PDF appendix (link bottom right of the article) - unfortunately all the species are listed by latin name..

Page 1 of 1