View previous topic | View next topic

Costa Rica

Page 1 of 1

Anduin
163737.  Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:02 pm Reply with quote

This is my first post, and I thought I would start with some facts from this wonderful country.

Costa Rica abolished its army in 1949 after a civil war. Jose Figueres Ferrer seized power to defeat an electoral fraud, and then dissolved his own army.

Jenny
163784.  Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:59 pm Reply with quote

Do they have an army now, or was it a permanent dissolution?

Not a Number
163793.  Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:46 pm Reply with quote

Permanent. I believe QI covered it before in the show, saying that it is the only country in the world which has a constitution that forbids an army.

Mulvil
163795.  Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:20 pm Reply with quote

So whats to stop him being over thrown?

Anduin
168272.  Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:39 am Reply with quote

Nothing stops anyone from invading the country, but who would invade a country with no army? What would be the excuse?

Besides, having an army did not help Iraq, did it?

Neotenic
168335.  Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:48 pm Reply with quote

They may not have an army per se, but they do apparently have

Quote:
A 4,400-strong Civil Guard [which] is complemented by a largely military-trained police force.

So they just about get through on a technicality, really.

Bizarrely, their defense budget is still a hulking great $89 million. Maybe they're bribing other countries not to invade.

Source

Davini994
578712.  Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:05 am Reply with quote

Costa Rica has come out top in the Happy Planet Index, just released by the New Economics Foundation. The HPI measures how happy a country's citizens are, how long they live, and how much of the earth's resources they monster trucks use.

Costa Ricans live longer than Americans. The UK was 74th on the list, with the top European country being Netherlands.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/jul/04/costa-rica-happy-planet-index

Sadurian Mike
578943.  Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:26 pm Reply with quote

Not a Number wrote:
Permanent. I believe QI covered it before in the show, saying that it is the only country in the world which has a constitution that forbids an army.

Luxembourg is as close to being in that state as makes no difference; it has around 450 fighting personnel (plus a slightly smaller number of recruits in training) in its army, or about the same as four companies.

Despite its tiny military, Luxembourg is an active NATO and UN participant.

Page 1 of 1