View previous topic | View next topic

Finland

Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Mulvil
163724.  Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:59 pm Reply with quote

With 179,584 islands Finland is the country with by far the most islands in the world, although a quick google if you were looking for the country with most islands in the world turns up the indonesia and the phillipines but they don't even come close.

Finland has also topped the list for free press since itc inception in 2002 (along with other countries)
http://www.rsf.org/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=554

Jenny
163726.  Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:03 pm Reply with quote

Ooh - a good one for the F series maybe...

Pisania
194376.  Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:10 am Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
Ooh - a good one for the F series maybe...

One can only hope.

As a Finn who lives quite near the archipelago, I have to say that a lot of the "islands" are just rocks sticking out of the sea. There's no flora and the only fauna would be sea birds. But still it's all breathtakingly beautiful and you should certainly see it once in your life.

Tas
194387.  Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:35 am Reply with quote

Cue 'Finland' by M.Python.

Finland, Finland, Finland,
The country where I want to be,
Pony trekking or camping,
Or just watching TV,
It's the country for me.

You're so near to Russia,
So far from Japan,
Quite a long way from Cairo,
Lots of miles from Vietnam.

The country where I want to be,
Eating breakfast or dinner,
Or snack lunch in the hall,
Finland has it all.

You're so sadly neglected,
And often ignored,
A poor second to Belgium,
When going abroad.

The country where I quite want to be,
Your mountains so lofty,
Your treetops so tall,
Finland has it all.

The country where I quite want to be,
Your mountains so lofty,
Your treetops so tall,
Finland has it all.

Finland has it all...

:-)

Tas

Pisania
194535.  Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:42 am Reply with quote

I still think it's unbelieveble that Monty Python wrote a song about Finland (I remember Michael Palin humming it on a train from Lapland to Helsinki in Pole to pole)! Although technically Finland doesn't have mountains, lofty or any other kind. What we do have, are called fells. The highest is Halti and it's located north in the "arm" of Finland. It's 1324 meters high, though the actual peak of the fell is a bit higher, but that's across the border in Norway.

BHGM
215232.  Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:11 pm Reply with quote

I work with a Finnish man;

He has mentioned of a couple of slightly odd things that I didn't know if.

The 1st is that the world championship of "Air Guitar" is held in Finland. A quick piece of Googling tells me that it is held every year since 1996 in Oulu. This year it was won by a Japanese Man called Ochi "Dainoji" Yosuke. WebTV shows him dressed in a comfy looking Sweater miming to The Offsprings "Come out and Play".........Hmmmmm

The second is a weird custom called Sleepyhead Day. Again a little Googling has revealed that it is called "Unikeon Päivä " The jist of it is that the last person in the household to wake up gets awoken rather rudely, by water. It says that people can get thrown into a lake or River.....how odd! It takes place on July 27th, and according to tradition, in the early Middle Ages there were seven Christians who slept in a cave for 200 years as they were hiding from the wrath of an evil Roman emperor. Apparently, when the celebration was imported to Finland around the 6th century AD, the Finns believed that if a person slept until late that day, the same fate would fall on him.

May not be QI, but is a little quirky......?

Cheers guys,

BHGM

Pisania
218446.  Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:38 pm Reply with quote

The Sleepyhead Day isn't that big of a deal in Finland nowadays. Just a few towns celebrate it, my hometown is the most famous one for it. That doesn't mean that one person in every household gets chucked in water. A local celebrity is chosen and his/her identity is kept secret until very early in the morning of July 27th, when the person in question is carried to the marina under a blanket and thrown in the water. In the days of yore, I'm told, this was an excuse for a huge carnival that lasted for days, but now its just boring wholesome family fun. Seriously boring compared to the pictures I've seen from 20 years ago.

Flash
265345.  Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:31 am Reply with quote

Great Finnish Inventions, part 1: Ice Skating
Quote:
Around 5,000 years ago, man strapped animal bones to his feet - and began using them to whizz across the frozen lakes of southern Finland. That's what the archaeological evidence suggests; now biophysicists have worked out why skating emerged in such a way. Federico Formenti of Manchester Metropolitan University has calculated that skating on the primitive blades would have reduced the energy cost of travelling by 10% - suggesting that it was not a hobby, but a means of surviving the region's harsh winters. And the benefits would have been greatest for early Finns, says The Times, because of the sheer concentration of lakes in southern Finland.

The Week, 12 Jan 2008, p17

Pisania
268256.  Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:55 pm Reply with quote

Does that mean that we can be held responsible for everything that evolved from this humble mean of transportation? Figure skating? Disney On Ice? So embarrassing...

JumpingJack
274115.  Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:39 am Reply with quote

Mulvil wrote:
With 179,584 islands Finland is the country with by far the most islands in the world, although a quick google if you were looking for the country with most islands in the world turns up the indonesia and the phillipines but they don't even come close.

I've just started researching Finland for the 'F' series and I was intrigued by the idea that Finland has the most islands of any country in the world.

Googling along the lines that Mulvil suggests in fact turns up the answer to the question: which island country has the most islands in the world? - I'd imagine Indonesia and the Philippines both stand a good chance for that title.

My guess is that the country (of any kind) in the world with the most islands is likely to be Canada. There are so many that no one has ever managed (or perhaps bothered) to count them all. There are, for example, 30,000 islands in Georgian Bay (the northeastern arm of Lake Huron) alone...

Jenny
274159.  Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:36 pm Reply with quote

JJ have you come across The Washington Post's Finland Diary?

suze
274254.  Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:24 pm Reply with quote

Canada and Finland both have a vast number of islands - personally I'd allege that Canada has more, but then I would say that.

But just as Georgian Bay is reckoned to have over 30,000 islands, Wiki reckons that the Archipelago Sea south west of Finland may have 50,000. In both cases, coming up with a precise figure requires first of all a definition of what an island is, and then someone to count them all. (Mulvil, do you have a source for the 179,584 figure.)

The same Wiki article places 18,000 as an upper bound on how many islands comprise Indonesia, while its article on the Philippines gives that nation 7,107. Some sources give the United Kingdom as many as 5,000, so that might be next!

JumpingJack
274305.  Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:22 pm Reply with quote

Aha! I hoped that might flush you out Suze!

Though of course I was hoping you might also know the definitive answer (sigh) I shall do some more ferreting.

I take your point about Georgian Bay and the Finnish Archipelago but, on the other hand, Canada is of course massively bigger than Finland overall, surrounded by sea on three sides and has much huger lakes and rivers. Surely it must out-island Finland.

Thanks for the link Jenny. I'll take a look now.

JumpingJack
274306.  Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:25 pm Reply with quote

Jenny,

Wow! That's tremendous. I wish I'd found that this morning instead of scraping through 50 websites to little avail.

Thanks so much.

Got any similar links for France?

JumpingJack
274319.  Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:52 pm Reply with quote

And the comments are riveting.

So much to know, so many differing opinions about (and ways of looking at) such a tiny little place. Very QI...

Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next