Flash
162592.  Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:02 am Reply with quote

Who invented multiple choice questions?

a) the Ancient Greeks
b) the American army
c) a Blue Whale
d) 50/50 please, Chris

Ans: b)
Multiple choice questions were developed to test recruits to the American army during the first world war. The ones who did well went into the Corps of Engineers, while the ones they found writing with the wrong end of the pencil went into the infantry.

Which of the two sentences contained in that answer was true?

a) the first one
b) the second one
c) both
d) neither

Ans: a)

"Boys do better than girls in multiple choice tests". Is this statement

a) True?
b) False?
c) Outrageous?

Ans: a)

s: Turn Over Your Papers Now, Radio 4, 3/4/07

Can we find some amusing examples of multiple choice questions from Who Wants to be a Millionaire? or elsewhere to flesh this out?

a) Yes
b) Of course we can, just give me a moment
c) Definitely
d) All of the above.

eggshaped
162602.  Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:11 am Reply with quote

link to the woman who had to give her million baht back because the computer was feeding her all the answers

Molly Cule
162611.  Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:32 am Reply with quote

"If you come across a road accident victim, whose intestines are lying on the road, should you pick them up and push them back in?"

This is a question from the Chinese driving license exam...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/3646561.stm

Molly Cule
162612.  Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:34 am Reply with quote

Some more sample questions are :

What should a driver do when he needs to spit whilst driving?

a - spit through a window
b - spit into a piece of waste paper, then put it in the garbage can.
c - spit on the floor of the vehicle.

Molly Cule
162613.  Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:35 am Reply with quote

Drivers should:

A. Deliberately underestimate each other.

B. Compete for road supremacy.

C. Learn and help each other, adopt one’s strong point while overcoming one’s weak point and keep safely driving.

Question 3:

What you should do if you come across an accident where someone needs help?

A. Drive past.

B. Slow down.

C. Stop to offer some assistance and call the police

D. Negotiate with party concerned if some reward is available.

Question 4:

If you come upon an auto accident and find a motorist lying unconscious on the road, should you shake that person violently to wake him up?

A. Yes

B. No

s http://harddrivelife.com/2007/01/25/chinatest/

Molly Cule
162615.  Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:38 am Reply with quote

The problem of spitting in Shaghai has been attacked by fitting out all 45,000 taxis in the city with spitoons. It will be attached to the plate between the driver and the passengers so both can use it if they need to.

Quote:
SHANGHAI: It's not uncommon to see taxi drivers, or passengers for that matter, roll down their windows, spit on the road and roll them up quickly.

Ask them why they do it, and you'll get a prompt answer: "Where do I spit if I have to?"

But that excuse will become a thing of the past now that the Shanghai government has decided to impose a new regulation.

The public health watchdog Shanghai Patriotic Sanitation Committee has vowed to ensure that all the 45,000 taxies in the city carry "spitting sacks" within a year.

The sacks will be distributed among taxi drivers free of charge at regular intervals, and will be attached to the riot plate that separates a driver from the passengers so that both can, if need be, spit into it.

The committee conducted a trial early last year by giving such sacks to some taxis.

Early and late last year, it monitored public spitting at 10 spots, including streets, squares, cinemas and bus terminuses and found that the frequency had dropped considerably after the sacks were attached to the taxis.

The spot where 164 people were seen spitting in half an hour recorded just 46 cases in the second survey. And taxi drivers and passengers who had access to "spitting sacks" played a big role by default for the improvement.

The "no spitting" regulation came after Shan decided to make people give up the ugly and unhygienic habit and present a healthy city for the 2010 World Expo. Spitting is seen as the worst bad habit and a difficult one for people to give up.

Before the "spitting sack" idea hit the committee, the city's hygiene authorities had attached spittoons to garbage cans on sidewalks.

The concave vessels, however, were not a success, with many people mistaking them for ashtrays. Even the fear of paying a higher fine didn't stop people from spitting.

s http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2007-01/23/content_789847.htm

Molly Cule
162622.  Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:53 am Reply with quote

There are some funny answers from history exams on the British Council website.... reminded me of what we were saying in the pub about there being no 'correct version' of history.. : )

Quote:
1. Ancient Egypt was inhabited by mummies and they all wrote in hydraulics. They lived in the Sarah Dessert and traveled by Camelot. The climate of the Sarah is such that the inhabitants have to live elsewhere.

2. The Bible is full of interesting caricatures. In the first book of the Bible, Guinessis, Adam and Eve were created from an apple tree. One of their children, Cain, asked, "Am I my brother's son?"

3. Moses led the Hebrew slaves to the Red Sea, where they made unleavened bread which is bread made without any ingredients.Moses went up on Mount Cyanide to get the ten commandments. He died before he ever reached Canada.

4. Solomom had three hundred wives and seven hundred porcupines.

5. The Greeks were a highly sculptured people, and without them we wouldn't have history. The Greeks also had myths. A myth is a female moth.

6. Actually, Homer was not written by Homer but by another man of that name.

7. Socrates was a famous Greek teacher who went around giving people advice. They killed him. Socrates died from an overdose of wedlock.After his death, his career suffered a dramatic decline.

8. In the Olympic games, Greeks ran races, jumped, hurled the biscuits, and threw the java.

9. Eventually, the Romans conquered the Greeks. History calls people Romans because they never stayed in one place for very long.

10. Julius Caesar extinguished himself on the battlefields of Gaul. The Ides of March murdered him because they thought he was going to be made king. Dying, he gasped out: "Tee hee, Brutus."

11. Nero was a cruel tyranny who would torture his subjects by playing the fiddle to them.

12. Joan of Arc was burnt to a steak and was cannonized by Bernard Shaw. Finally Magna Carta provided that no man should be hanged twice for the same offense.

Molly Cule
162623.  Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:53 am Reply with quote

13. In midevil times most people were alliterate. The greatest writer of the futile ages was Chaucer, who wrote many poems and verses and also wrote literature.

Molly Cule
162625.  Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:54 am Reply with quote

27. Beethoven wrote music even though he was deaf. He was so deaf he wrote loud music. He took long walks in the forest even when everyone was calling for him. Beethoven expired in 1827 and later died for this.

Molly Cule
162626.  Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:55 am Reply with quote

30. Queen Victoria was the longest queen. She sat on a thorn for 63 years. She was a moral woman who practiced virtue. Her death was the final event which ended her reign.

Flash
162629.  Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:02 am Reply with quote

Quick work, Molly. I love the Chinese driving test stuff and don't care all that much whether they're true or not. The history exam answers look dubious to my eye, though. I can't help feeling that I've seen them all before, maybe in one of those e-mails that people forward to each other.

Molly Cule
162632.  Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:09 am Reply with quote

Yes, they made me laugh, thats the only reason I posted them.

Molly Cule
165796.  Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:21 am Reply with quote

Sir Francis Galton was a Quaker, a cousin of Charles Darwin, the founder of eugenics and inventor of fingerprinting. He also created the first IQ exams. He set up the first mental testing centre in London. People were tested on their intelligence with tests like judging the weights of rocks, distinguishing among high-pitched sounds, and reacting to pinpricks. Their reward was an evaluation of their mental abilities, which, the experimenter thought, was directly related to sensory sensitivity.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Galton

Page 1 of 1