View previous topic | View next topic

Evolution/Climate

Page 1 of 1

Vitali
162323.  Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:46 am Reply with quote

"Steamy and wet they may be, but tropical hotspots of biodiversity are not the hottest as far as EVOLUTION is concerned. It turns out that new species emerge more frequently in temperate regions than in the tropics."

New Scientist, 24 March 2007.
So, contrary to popular opinion, "hot" is not that good for breeding...

Last edited by Vitali on Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total

Gray
162834.  Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:40 am Reply with quote

Yeah, mammals can just sit around in the warmth and not worry about having to find lots of food to keep themselves warm (about 60-70% of what you eat has this function). When it's cold, you have to be eating far more often, and then the chances of getting eaten rise dramatically, so you need to adapt some more cunning bodily tools to survive efficiently.

Cold is an evolutionary pressure, so it forces change.

Jenny
162969.  Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:52 am Reply with quote

<sigh> I don't know where you guys are coming from. Honestly, you know God created all species exactly as they are, and there's lots of evidence to prove it. Look, it says so here in this article on the always-reliable Conservapedia.

Gray
162974.  Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:03 am Reply with quote

I like the first comment in the discussion:
Quote:
Full disclosure: I'm a liberal and I came to this site just because a friend told me what nonsense you idiots are putting up here. I say, keep at it! With the recent congressional turnover, Bush's dire approval ratings, opposition to the war in Iraq, all we need is stuff like this to further expose the mental inadequacy of most conservatives. Why not add something about the rapture to this article, or accuse evolution of being a communist plot? The more you isolate yourselves on the lunatic fringe, the less people will take you seriously, and that's just jim dandy. Bravo!

Vitali
165783.  Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:47 am Reply with quote

The question here may be: "Why is a 'cool babe' hotter than a 'hot babe'?"

Page 1 of 1