View previous topic | View next topic

Italy

Page 1 of 1

eggshaped
161619.  Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:42 pm Reply with quote

How annoying that I've only just found this. Would've made a great GI question last year.

Question: What is the official language of Italy?

Answer: Italian, but only just.

Italy's constitution deliberately left out any mention of the language due to the hard-feelings still felt by people about Mussolini's attempt to Italianize the country by force, however the parliament voted this week to state that: "The Italian language is the official language of the Republic".

This is great:

Quote:

One deputy, Federico Bricolo from the Northern League party, said his nationality, and therefore his language, was not Italian but Venetian. He said the dialect of Venice was spoken by "millions of men and women around the world".

"It's the language spoken in my family, in schools, at work. I am Venetian, Mr President, my language is that of Venice," Bricolo said in his dialect before his microphone was switched off because he was breaking a rule that states only Italian may be spoken in parliament.

source

This still works as a double-bluff though I think. I wonder if it would be possible to give Stephen a double-bluff question up his sleeve which he can use at his discretion when he feels like the panellists are getting cynical about the general ignorance round?

dr.bob
162239.  Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:16 am Reply with quote

eggshaped wrote:
Quote:

One deputy, Federico Bricolo from the Northern League party

The Northern League are a party that thinks the northern states of Italy should split away from what they see as the lazy, unproductive states of southern Italy and become a separate nation. As such, they're about as sane and balanced as UKIP :)

Is there anything in British law that states English is the official language of England?

suze
162266.  Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:39 am Reply with quote

No.

The Gaelic Language (Scotland) Act 2005 implies that English and Gaelic are both official languages in Scotland, and the Welsh Language Act 1993 hints at English and Welsh both being so in Wales without saying so in quite so many words.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/legislation/scotland/acts2005/50007--a.htm#1
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1993/Ukpga_19930038_en_2.htm#mdiv3

But while English is undoubtedly de facto the official language of England, there is no piece of law to say so.

Page 1 of 1