View previous topic | View next topic

English/ England (General)

Page 4 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Flash
167039.  Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:46 pm Reply with quote

Oh, I see. Well, it'd be ample time for that, of course.

MatC
167040.  Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:47 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Lovely Rattigan stuff, too. Can't presently think how we could use it, unfortunately

You've never cancelled the special Rattigan episode? Damn, I do wish someone had told me, I've got simply hours of jokes about french windows here.

Frederick The Monk
167151.  Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:26 am Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
...... Can't be right, though, surely - the missile would really have to be going like the clappers to cross the Atlantic in 11 minutes, wouldn't it?

Impact speed for modern ICBMs is, I believe, around 4km/s so you're right. In think the timing is from confirmation by radar to impact and so suggests that the missile's are/ were not trackable in their boost phase.

source

Gray
167184.  Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:18 am Reply with quote

There's a terrific piece of metal in the Imperial War Museum from the wingtip of a souped-up spitfire that was actually used to nudge the wing of an incoming V1 rocket bomb during WW2, sending it into a field.

Quote:
When the attacks began in mid-June of 1944 there were fewer than 30 Tempests in 150 Wing to defend against them. Few other aircraft had the low-altitude speed to be effective. Early attempts to intercept V-1s often failed but techniques were rapidly developed. These included the hair-raising method of using the airflow over an interceptor's wing to raise one wing of the Doodlebug, by sliding the wingtip under the V-1's wing and bringing it to within six inches (15 cm) of the lower surface. Done properly, the airflow would tip the V-1's wing up, overriding the buzz bomb's gyros and sending it into an out of control dive. At least three V-1s were destroyed this way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Diver

Maybe some kind of fashion-oriented 'wingtip' gag, and how it helped save the country?

Bunter
167189.  Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:29 am Reply with quote

Fred - I wonder whether Alan's buzzer sound on the England show should be a weather forecaster going something like

"And the heavy drizzle will set to pass through the middle of England on Tuesday night, with low cloud moving from East to West...etc etc"

Frederick The Monk
167254.  Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:15 am Reply with quote

Or possibly even the Michael Fish "there's not going to a hurricane' line?

MatC
167266.  Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:49 am Reply with quote

Quote:
A body known as The United Kingdom Warning and Monitoring Organisation (UKWMO) was set up in 1957 to warn the population of any impending air attack. The organisation and the warning system are described within this site. The Royal Observer Corps (ROC) set up in WW2 became the heart of the UKWMO in the cold war.

Some interesting background to the four minute warning, at www.ringbell.co.uk/ukwmo/index.htm, which includes the notable point that:

Quote:
The end of the UKWMO was announced in Parliament on 12 November 1992. Everything described on this site is historic, the bunkers sold off and the warning system dismantled. There is currently no public warning system in the United Kingdom.

Which suggests a possible question for this topic:

“How will we know when the nukes are on their way?”

The forfeit, obviously, is “the four-minute warning,” on the double grounds that not only was there never going to be a four-minute warning - now there isn’t any sort of warning!

Incidentally, I’m not sure how all this ended up under “England,” but obviously it should be in “End of the World.”

MatC
167279.  Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:15 am Reply with quote

Noodling around after four minute warnings, I came across a typically bad-tempered and mistyped discussion board (which, like every other discussion board since the invention of the internet, very quickly comes down to cyberspace’s sole topic of discussion: The US is great. No it isn’t, it smells. No, FYI, you are incorrect and it’s everywhere else that smells.)

Anyway, I thought these two, completely unsourced, snippets were of some interest:

Quote:
The second atomic bomb to hit Japan, Fat Man, was scheduled to be dropped at Kokura. However, because of poor weather the target was moved to Nagasaki. Nagasaki was not amongst the cities that received prior warning of the attack. Warning Leaflets were dropped the next day.

and

Quote:
I stayed in Dover, England once while on holiday. The people living there would tell of the last days of WWII and how they had just enough time to finish a pint after hearing the report of bombs (non nuclear, or course) being launched from Calais (sp?) across the channel before they had to take shelter. Apx 4 minutes

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t45496.html

Gray
167308.  Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:22 am Reply with quote

Id be surprised if the Germans wasted any time bombing Dover, unless they felt like helping clean it up a bit.

Page 4 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4