View previous topic | View next topic

Dragons

Page 1 of 1

XDL
160513.  Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:04 pm Reply with quote

Strictly not an animal. I am bemused by the fact that they have six limbs, and are far too large to fly (and that they are nonexistent, but still, there's a chance). Eventually I read a book, called 'Flight of the Dragons', which suddenly made them seem very reallistic. Interesting. There are also the far more existent 'land' dragons, including the komodo dragon, the world's largest reptile. They're almost equally as interesting.

Or at least they were, until I read a series of fantasy novels.

King of Quok
160544.  Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:21 pm Reply with quote

I think the six-limbed bit rather depends on who you read on dragons. I think Edith Nesbit's in The Last of the Dragons are quite different from Michael Ende's, Gregory Maguire's, Frank Baum's, those of Greek myth, Norse myth, Chinese myth and so on and so on.

The thing I find amazing about Komodo dragons is that their saliva is so full of virulent bacteria that even if you managed to get away after one had bitten you (unlikely), the bacteria would finish you off anyway.

XDL
160819.  Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:28 am Reply with quote

wow, that's quite freakishly cool.

I forgot to include eastern dragons when I mentioned how they were six limbed, although some eastern dragons are pictured with two small wings halfway across their back. These could be classed as wings...

What's the animal that comes closest to having six limbs? Wouldn't insects count, with their six legs and such? And how come tails aren't classed as limbs? I wonder what defines a limb...

Ameena
160825.  Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:47 am Reply with quote

There's also a lizard called a water dragon - some people keep them as pets. I don't know a great deal about them but they're not very big.

Tas
160854.  Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:22 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Water dragons are large diurnal arboreal agamid lizards in the genus Physignathus. There are two species, the Chinese Water Dragon Physignathus cocincinus, and the Australian Water Dragon Physignathus lesueurii (two sub-species). They are sometimes kept as pets, especially P. cocincinus, though a full-grown male of that species will measure about three feet (1 meter) total length and thus requires a fairly large enclosure for proper care.

P. cocincinus is found throughout South-East Asia, in Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and south China. These lizards are semi-aquatic, using their laterally-compressed tails to propel them when swimming. They are able to remain submerged for long periods of time. Like many lizards, water dragons have a parietal eye, a light-sensitive "third eye" located in the top of the head.

Physignathus lesueurii males are easily distinguished from the females as they have a red coloured chest and belly, which is mostly visible when they lift their heads in defensive mode. Generally water dragons are usually shy creatures in the wild that may only make themselves known to the passer by from the sound of them dropping into a waterway. However, in breeding season, the mothers may become more aggressive in order to make themselves known to distract any potential predators from capturing her young. Juveniles are very sociable, playful creatures and are usually found in groups ranging from 3 - 8 young dragons.

S: Wikipedia.

There, you now know more about the cute critters.....they may not be very large, but they are very strong! And they have remarkably dangerous claws!

I know....I once had to rescue one from a roof after it had escaped....the claw marks were very painful!

:-)

Tas

Mulvil
161009.  Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:49 am Reply with quote

I used to have a pet dragon. It was a bearded dragon and it ate live crickets and was also quite taken by broccoli!

Ameena
161298.  Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:26 pm Reply with quote

Omg duhhh forgot all about bloody bearded dragons and we had one at college (no water dragons)! He was called McCoy and he was kinda sweet. Didn't do much - he's just kinda sit on your hands when you got him out.

strukkanurv
161430.  Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:08 am Reply with quote

Scared shitless, I wouldn't wonder!

;-)

Mulvil
161766.  Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:08 pm Reply with quote

They are fast buggers when they want to be and if they got scared I'm betting they'd run. My was callede Izzi, just because I thought a palindromic name would be fun

XDL
206852.  Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:33 pm Reply with quote

I want a dragon now.

Holbenilord
653859.  Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:40 am Reply with quote

Quote:

It is possible for a dragon like creature to fly but there are several problems.

1) Your standard dragon wing is essentially membranous flaps stretched between extended ribs or fingers. There is not enough in an arm to haul a 8m dragon into the air like this.

2) Your typical dragon wing is about 15m squared, so could only produce an upward thrust of about 120kg/m, enough to pull a rhino or hippo into the air.

3) Most dragons seen have tiny wings to body size.

But there are solutions.
The dragon's muscles are much denser and more powerful than terran ones.
The bones are hollow and with air spaces, like a birds.
The wings could be more rigid and have increased surface area.
The dragon should not be over 12m long, about T-rex size.
Helium sacs could be inside cells.
The scales are aerodynamic and lightweight, though strong.

And fire breathing? Possible, i've heard several explanations:
The dragon eats phosphate rocks, which dissolve in a special stomach to create a gas which is flammable on contact with air.
The dragon uses flammable venom, which it sparks with it's teeth.
And my favourite:
Inside the dragon their is nuclear fusion going on.

And, as with all megafauna, there won't be very many, and it uses a lot of fuel to make the fire, so we won't have to worry about them burning the planet.

from http://s1.zetaboards.com/Conceptual_Evolution/topic/2373622/2/

Jenny
654118.  Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:43 pm Reply with quote

Wow - now there's a thought! Welcome to QI :-)

Page 1 of 1