View previous topic | View next topic

E Themes

Page 1 of 1

Gray
151545.  Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:22 am Reply with quote

Here's what we've ended up with after some narrowing-down type activity over lunch:

Everything
Engineering / Erections
Experiments / Errors / Einstein / E=mc2 / Experts
Eclectic / Electricity / Eccentricity / Edison
E Animals - Elephants / Eels / Echidnas / Emus / Etc... Entomology
The Earth
Europe / Enclaves / Estonia...
England / English / Empires / Emperors
Endings / Executions / Ectoplasm / Euthanasia / Exhumations
Evolution / Extinctions
Exploration / Extremes / Extravagance / Ecstasy
Evil
Eccentrics
Eating / E-numbers / Eggs
Escapes
Ego
Etymology / Euphemisms
Education
Elements
Enigmas
Eyes / Ears
The East
Easy questions
Exercise
Entertainment
Eight / 800 / 8,000 / 8 million

Jenny
158051.  Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:26 pm Reply with quote

Is there any chance of us peasants getting access to JSTOR? I keep getting interesting links and not being able to follow them because, as the webpages keep saying:

Quote:
The material you requested is included in JSTOR, an online journal archive made available to researchers through participating libraries and institutions.

If we're not an institution (or in one) we ought to be.

Gray
158568.  Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:06 am Reply with quote

Yeah, I keep coming up against that one too.

suze
158754.  Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:19 am Reply with quote

I had been hoping I might be able to help you guys out here, since I do have access to JSTOR for work purposes. (Although only on campus - remote access is slightly harder to obtain than gold dust.)

Unfortunately though, a quick chat with a librarian has served only to remind me of the Ts & Cs attached to JSTOR. Sharing of access codes would be a hanging offence, and use of information obtained via JSTOR for commercial purposes is pretty much prohibited in any case.

(While access to the JSTOR collection is in theory available from public libraries, this costs the libraries a minimum of $3,750 pa and so take up has been low. And in any case, it's not available outside the USA - the JSTOR people seem to consider the world to divide into the USA and the backward countries.)

Jenny
158797.  Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:31 am Reply with quote

Suze - if you have access at work, would it be illegal of us to confirm a piece of information that we think we have, and use that to create a question or support an assertion without actually quoting the journal concerned? If one of us happened to subscribe to the journal in question, we'd be able to use the factual information in an article, wouldn't we?

Flash
158814.  Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:39 am Reply with quote

There's no copyright on facts, just on the way they are expressed.

suze
158836.  Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:06 am Reply with quote

Jenny, I'm sure that would be OK - and I'm happy to check things with these "secret sources" provided it doesn't become too onerous.

Just be aware that it's the end of term tomorrow, and I'll not be spending very much time at work over the following four weeks!

Gray
166906.  Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:41 am Reply with quote

Flash, these 'essays' we're to write to accompany the questions - are they the page-long notes that are found at the back of the script, or the short notes that Stephen's going to have on his cards? Or both?

Just so I know how much detail to go into...

Flash
167022.  Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:15 pm Reply with quote

The notes at the back of the script are the same as the notes on the cards. I take a script, cut it up, and stick it on the cards - that's how I know.

Gray
167180.  Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:11 am Reply with quote

That's what I seem to remember, in my hazy memory...

Ta.

Page 1 of 1