View previous topic | View next topic

Endings/Explosives

Page 1 of 1

Vitali
160288.  Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:28 am Reply with quote

Bohumil Sol, the former Czechoslovakia's leading explosives expert and the inventor of Semtex (a powerful explosive used by terrorists, including the IRA), also known as "the father of Semtex", blew himself up in a psychiatric sanatorium near Prague in June 1997. Th reason was that the hospital personnel tried to stop him firing off rockets that scared his fellow patients and aggravated their condition. He was 63.

Own research

eggshaped
160301.  Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:48 am Reply with quote

As with most "hoist with their own pertard" factoids, this one may not be 100% unimpeachable.

See post 160297

Flash
160385.  Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:08 am Reply with quote

The folks at Explosia also deny that Semtex is in fact the proven explosive of choice for terrorists - they seem to be saying that their brand name is attached to every explosion by the newspapers, but in fact its use has never been established in the US and only in 5% of cases in the UK.
http://www.explosia.cz/en/?show=omyly

Too dark and/or finickity for a question, probably.

Vitali
160769.  Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:27 am Reply with quote

This is all not true, Flash. I conducted the investigation and visited the factory myself, having proved beyond any doubt that they did produce Semtex in large quantities and had no idea of where or to whom most of it was going. The piece was run by The Sunday Times, and there were no attempts to disprove the facts...

eggshaped
160774.  Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:31 am Reply with quote

Vitali, did you find any evidence on your travels that Sole was part of the team who created semtex?

Flash
160778.  Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:33 am Reply with quote

Vitali - I'm sure you're right (I know nothing at all about this). But I don't think they're denying what you've just said - on the contrary, they say that Semtex is an industrial explosive and they don't have any way of checking how it's used once it's out of their hands. But I think their position is that the UK papers assume that all terrorist explosions involve Semtex, although this has only been established as fact in a minority of cases.

But that could be quite wrong, for all I know.

Page 1 of 1